Battery Charging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blue Heron

Guru
Question,
My new to me boat, has two 12V house batteries. When I am running Generator battery switch is set to "Both" to recharge.

When I am on Shore Power I also set it to "Both"

Battery Charger is also on.

Should I keep Battery Charger to "ON" when on Shore power? Does this act as a charger and float after batteries are charged?

When Shoudl I turn Charger off?

Thoughts?

thanks

Depending on your charger.
When on shore power the charger should keep your batteries fully charged.
I don't see any reason to turn off the charger.
Sd

If you are on shore power,there should be a disconnect(some are automatic) or transfer switch to run the boat from shore power while the charger works it magic on the batteries.Some chargers are capable of charging batteries while running some DC electrical.You may want to check out your wiring.Your switch set on both could be to charge both house batteries, or charge both house batteries and the starting battery.

As I understand it some of the older chargers aren't regulated and can continue to send too much current to the batteries, hence shortening their life. With my old Guest charger I have been advised to monitor the battery charge and turn the charger off when batteries charged. The newer chargers have 3 stages which permits them to be on all the time.

Question,
My new to me boat, has two 12V house batteries. When I am running Generator battery switch is set to "Both" to recharge.

Should I keep Battery Charger to "ON" when on Shore power? Does this act as a charger and float after batteries are charged?

Thoughts?

thanks

--------------------------------------------------------
If you have a newer marine charger, chances are it will maintain your batteries and provide 12 volt house power all at the same time. A modern marine charger has IC controlled charging circuits and is programed to maintain your batteries and can be left on 24 x 7 x 365, without trickle charging or boiling your batteries, which over time ruins them. Read your chargers manual or download it if you don't have one.

Just changed out my oldest battery bank this Spring and they were 11 years old and still going strong.

My charger brings all three battery banks up to a predetermined charge state and then turns off and monitors the batteries until they need to be recharged again or when 21 days elapse. Mine also monitors and charges all three battery banks regardless of what the battery switch is switched to. The battery switch only controls which battery bank is being discharge, not the battery charger. Check out how yours is wired while you are at it.
Larry B

Question,

If you really mean what you posted ("My new to me boat, has two 12V house batteries"), your two house batteries are already connected together in parallel as a "bank" so the switch position doesn't matter. Whatever is connected to one is connected to the other through the cables.

As far as leaving a battery charger on 24/7, you have to know what sort of charger you have. If it's a modern "smart charger", it's designed to be left on and connected 24/7 and it will sense the battery voltage and supply only what charge is needed to maintain the batteries in a fully charged state.

If it's not a smart charger, you should monitor the batteries yourself and turn it off when they are charged. Or, replace it with a smart charger.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom