Old 09-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Great Flashlight for dinghy

So I started the thread on the requirement for a black ball out when at anchor. This is a requirement that almost no one does. I've found the same for guys with smaller RIB's and inflatables, like my RIB at 9 1/2 feet. I'm sure both countries are the same but here in BC I forget what the foot length of a vessel required to only run a single white light at 7 knots or slower, but small RIB's definitely fit the bill.

While waiting for my boat to come out of refit, I'd walk marinas looking at boats and equipment they had when solving a particular issue on my boat. One of my questions was nav lights for a dinghy. And before some post "nav lights for dinghies," I've already been there, done that. I am being cheap, I don't want to spend money on something that may only get used once or twice a year.

The usual solution I have found when talking to guys on their boats is to rely on a flashlight. But realistically, a flashlight does not provide 360 degrees lighting, instead pointing to the sky. They say they just hold up the light while travelling or have a passenger hold it up. Again not a good solution in my mind.

I did consider getting a ping pong ball and cutting it in half and epoxying it to a cheap flashlight. But I just stumbled over the light linked below and it fits the bill for me. The light when dropped in the water will flash red light in the lantern area. The lantern area can be solid white, solid red, or flashing red.

[For fellow BC canucks - go Canucks - you can pick this up at a Canadian rip off price at Home Hardwear]

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Nice! Now I just need a place to mount it. A passenger could hold it, but when alone it wouldn't work. Perhaps a hat with the light built into the top. It would be visible from 360 degrees and wouldn't affect night vision from looking at it.

and Go Canucks. Yes - we are following them from Australia.
Light em up Petey. He's due for a hat trick.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Seven meters or less and seven knots max. It needs to be shown to prevent collisions that’s all.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Seven meters or less and seven knots max. It needs to be shown to prevent collisions that’s all.

Agree...it doesn't need to be mounted or 360 degrees...just needs to be shown in time to prevent a collision....

At least according to the COLREGS...not sure what Canada or locals require.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

not sure what Canada or locals require.
Transport Canada:

Quote:
Power-driven vessels less than 7 metres long that can travel no faster than 7 knots may exhibit an all-round white light, and sidelights if practicable, instead of the lights required for power-driven vessels.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Messed up

So once again memory fails.

The flashlight (Handheld electric torch) applies to sailboats and boats powered by oars.

From USCG Navcen:

Rule 23 - Power-driven Vessels Underway (a) A power-driven vessel underway shall exhibit:
(i) a masthead light forward;
(ii) a second masthead light abaft of and higher than the forward one; except that a vessel of less than 50 meters in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so;
(iii) sidelights; and,
(iv) a sternlight.

(b) An air-cushion vessel when operating in non-displacement mode shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) , exhibit an all-round flashing yellow light ‹‹ , where it can best be seen ››.

(c) A WIG craft only when taking off, landing and in flight near the surface shall, in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a), exhibit a high intensity all-round flashing red light.

(d)(i) A power-driven vessel of less than 12 meters in length may in lieu of the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) exhibit an all-round white light and sidelights.

International (ii) a power-driven vessel of less than 7 meters in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in Rule 23(a) exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights.

(iii) the masthead light or all-round white light on a power-driven vessel of less than 12 metres in length may be displaced from the fore and aft centre line of the vessel if centreline fitting is not practicable, provided that the sidelights are combined in one lantern which shall be carried on the fore and aft centre line of the vessel or located as nearly as practicable in the same fore and aft line as the masthead light or the all-round white light.
Inland (e) A power-driven vessel when operating on the Great Lakes may carry an all-round white light in lieu of the second masthead light and sternlight prescribed in Rule 23(a). The light shall be carried in the position of the second masthead light and be visible at the same minimum range.

Rule 25 - Sailing Vessels Underway and Vessels Under Oars

(a) A sailing vessel underway shall exhibit:

(i) sidelights;
(ii) a sternlight.

(b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20 meters in length the lights prescribed in Rule 25(a) may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.

(c) A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in Rule 25(a), exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by Rule 25(b).

(d)(i) A sailing vessel of less than 7 meter in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in Rule 25(a) or (b), but if she does not, she shall ‹‹ exhibit an all around white light or ›› have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
(ii) A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall ‹‹ exhibit an all around white light or ›› have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards. ‹‹ A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so. ››
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote