Old 10-30-2021, 07:47 AM   #81
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Here's my report on a successful SG-200 installation and an opinion as to whether it is worth the bother. In addition to the SG, I also have a Series 700 Victron monitor and the Magnum remote control/monitor for a Magnum 2812 inverter/charger. With that, here is one real-world comparison.

1. The Magnum and the Victron report the same number of amp-hours consumed.
2. The SG-200 does not display amp-hours consumed, only a State of Charge (SOC). Note: the SG-200 must be internally counting amp-hours to arrive at the same SOC as does the Magnum.
3. The SG-200 reports the same SOC as the Magnum but the Victron consistently reports a SOC 4% higher. Note: I have no explanation for this anomaly. I trust the Magnum and SG-200 in this regard. Perhaps the Magnum and SG-200 handles the Peukart's factor in a different way.

Conclusions:

1. For my system (no wind, no solar) I do not need anything more than the Magnum remote panel. The other two gizmos have confirmed that it is accurate.
2. The Victron is redundant, not needed but some folks like redundancy.
3. The SG-200 is not needed but very nice to have, but expensive for what the "nice-to-have" is. The SG-200 blue tooth app reports SOH (State of Health) and, yes, it works on my system. It also shows real time charging amps and voltage. I find it handy when cruising to see what the alternators are doing or the charger on shore power. Just an hour ago, the marina turned the electricity back on after the tide went out (Kent Narrows, MD) and the flooding receded here. Yup, the SG-200 immediately showed 125 amps going into the batteries with a slowly rising voltage, exactly what one would expect. As I said, nice to have.

By the way, if I were installing all now, I would choose to have the Magnum remote and the SG-200 instead of the Victron. The Victron tells me nothing that the Magnum remote does not. Yes, the Victron does offer some control features but the Magnum remote has the same capabilities.

One last observation about the Victron, their 2-inch dials are VERY difficult to read.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #82
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
... One last observation about the Victron, their 2-inch dials are VERY difficult to read.
One of the big reasons I got rid of my Victron.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:58 AM   #83
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
One of the big reasons I got rid of my Victron.
+1
Attached Thumbnails
SOC.jpg  
Old 10-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #84
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
+1
Yes, the Balmar is the same size but there's an app for that.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #85
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
In the last two weeks I finally got in touch with the SG200 Guru at Balmar in Washington. His name is Dan and he appears to be quite knowledgeable! He admitted to getting a lot of complaints on the "high voltage alert" question and told me that it's a Firmware problem and that Balmar is releasing an update any day now to solve this problem. You must have a Balmar Bluetooth Gateway that plugs in to the back of the SG200 and when the company sends a link to your smart phone, you can update the SG200 easily. In the meantime I have experienced getting rid of these alerts by doing a super simple "Device Reset." (Not a factory or a network reset.) I was told by Tim, in the same department as Dan, that "even a millisecond spike causes the gauge to alert. The"device reset" will work to keep the faults from appearing but the faults will come back," which indeed they did! In the meantime I continue to trust the SOC, Amps, Voltage, time to go, etc. as the gauge seems to be working correctly. By watching the amps you can see what various 110v appliances are using, amp wise, while on the inverter. Although I haven't unplugged the shore power to keep the Charger from coming on and reducing the SOC to 40% or less, it's on my list but is not in the "must do" category at the present time. Cruising my boat with the gauge set to SOC, you can see the SOC percentage drop as the hours go by. A much better indication of SOC than the dumb E...F gauge that that Duffy provides. (I can see why Duffy does this as their market seems to be "boating novices" that wouldn't know what a good SOC meter is telling them anyway!
I wrote this on October 28, 2021 and at that time the Firmware release did not solve the "High & low voltage alerts". The most recent Firmware release does solve the problem!
Attached Thumbnails
Latest Firmware Release.jpg