Backup Cameras Installed!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spinner

Guru
Thank you, Todd (Blue Water Yachts (Mountlake Terrace, WA)! Todd just finished installing two RuggedCam cameras on my 42 Nordic Tug. The cameras display on the right and left Garmin chartplotters (could alternate if I only had a single display). They are mounted port and starboard just forward of the cockpit. Power and signal runs behind the window valences.

The camera outputs are very clear, much better than I expected. I am excited to try them out :)

Camera install location

Attachments

• C0648C3F-2315-4A7D-B7D1-247101174716.jpg
    C0648C3F-2315-4A7D-B7D1-247101174716.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 86
  • B6AE0067-7DB9-4185-B6B8-D90BDAAB768B.jpg
    B6AE0067-7DB9-4185-B6B8-D90BDAAB768B.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 118
Sue,

More info.... is the mfg RuggedCam? Model no? Are they wireless? Can you connect to your phone or Ipad? Are they good for docking as well as whose a half mile behind you?

Looking for similar.

Are you adding the option machine guns with automatic targeting?

Stop mentioning Todd from Bluewater Yachts, if every one finds out how good he is, he’ll never be available to do work for us again.

At the start of last year I bought a Swann four channel security system, with two cameras and a 1TB recording hard drive box. Wireless.

I put one in the ER and one on the radar arch facing back, since when we are in the PH we cannot see behind us. I plugged the recording unit into my PH Greenwise display, which is replicated on the FB.

Signal is strong and 1080p display is crisp.

You will need an AC outlet nearby each camera. The one in the ER is only two feet away, but the one on the FB is on the side of the helm so I had to run some of the 60ft supplied line along the bottom of the bimini to the radar arch.

This photo is from the ER camera displayed on the FB screen on a sunny day. Note the signal strength. The image is still clear when I turn the lights out in the ER. It also captures sound, which I turn off.

Swann's phone app allows you to access the images. Also to tie the system into your boat's WiFi if you have one, for access from anywhere.

$299.

Attachments

• aa4.jpg
    aa4.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 111
Oh, you are right! Boarding repelling system on order (ha ha, just kidding)!!

They are Rugged Cam stainless steel domes, analog, 12 volt, not wireless, but with IR and led lighting. https://www.rugged-cctv.com/product/stainless-steel-dome-camera/

They are positioned to optimize viewing during backing up, but do provide decent viewing behind. They are set up to mimic a rear view mirror. My boat doesn’t have a Wi-Fi network and my chartplotters need analog inputs, so these are just right. ��

My rear facing camera is an aid to me when backing out of the slip. The distance from the dinghy side to the top of the screen is 11 feet. (Measured) So a glance at the screen tells me to STOP!

Attachments

• Rear camera.jpg
    Rear camera.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom