AP Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...... I feel like probably having the complete suite of products from any of the manufacturers is better in the long run than any combination of products you can come up with.
I had the very same thought when I went shopping. :blush:

Two key issues are how to send routes to it and how to update the software. I still haven't quite figured out reliably sending routes to it in a mixed environment (Garmin, Raymarine, and Coastal Explorer) without turning things off. Also if you need to update the software on the EVO you can only do that from a Raymarine MFD (Check the Raymarine web site to see if your model can be used).

Good points. Thanks.

Last edited:
I had read that article, but the problem on sending routes (like you said waypoints) to the EVO seems to be that both Garmin and Raymarine MFDs send NMEA2000 PGN 129285 over the network with no data in it even when no route is selected. When you tell the EVO to follow a track sent from either MFD or Coastal Explorer with both the Garmin or Raymarine MFD on, it is getting the same PGN from multiple devices and displays a "No Navigation Data" error. If you turn one of them off and reset the autopilot then the remaining MFD can send a track to the EVO. Coastal Explorer can only send a track to the EVO with both the Garmin and Raymarine MFDs off.

Garmin's response was it shouldn't matter and Raymarine didn't respond to the question. While I am not a big fan of Lowrance, at least they don't send AP PGNs with no data.

Tom

I had read that article, but the problem on sending routes (like you said waypoints) to the EVO seems to be that both Garmin and Raymarine MFDs send NMEA2000 PGN 129285 over the network with no data in it even when no route is selected. When you tell the EVO to follow a track sent from either MFD or Coastal Explorer with both the Garmin or Raymarine MFD on, it is getting the same PGN from multiple devices and displays a "No Navigation Data" error. If you turn one of them off and reset the autopilot then the remaining MFD can send a track to the EVO. Coastal Explorer can only send a track to the EVO with both the Garmin and Raymarine MFDs off.

Garmin's response was it shouldn't matter and Raymarine didn't respond to the question. While I am not a big fan of Lowrance, at least they don't send AP PGNs with no data.

Tom

Tom again, as far as i know, you cannot use a track.. you must first convert it to a route with waypoints.. often problems arise when the waypoints have alfa/numerical names.. try to use numbered waypoints insted..

but.. "as far as i know", we (most) sailors don't use routes.. we use the AP to keep us on a course..

My mostly used AP (WindPilot) and electronic back-up..

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2897.jpg
    IMG_2897.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I think it is a manner of terminology. Garmin tends to use route and track interchangeably. It seems that when tracks are turned on, it saves it as a group of way points which it will convert to a route when saved. In the EVO autopilot the command to follow a route is labelled track. Hence the confusion it can generate. My complaint with the marine electronics vendors is they do things they probably shouldn't do like send NMEA2000s PGNs when they shouldn't and don't give me a way to turn them off.

I have not seen an MFD from any vendor that works as well as Coastal Explorer from a charting perspective. I have a $600 computer with a 16 inch screen, running a $399 navigation program (which I bought 10 years ago), a $199 USB NEMA2000 gateway, with current NOAA charts, with 3 GPS inputs, two depth inputs, and it does everything a computer will do when we are done for the day. Compare that to a $650 Raymarine with a 6 inch screen and the same NOAA charts and a $2000 dollar Garmin with a 12 inch screen and out of date charts that is used primarily as a sounder and radar display. I can layout a route between Wrangell and Ketchikan in a couple of minutes. No way I could do that on any ones MFD.

Tom

A cheap and easy solution would be the current Raymarine Evolution offering. But given my experience with the S2 I'm leery. (Though in fairness the ST6000 I had on the sailboat worked well.) Anyone have good or bad experiences with the Evolution?

I went with the Raymarine EVO-200. Driving factors were ease of installation, compatability with my MFDs and AP remote, and cost.

Have to say I am very pleased. The new AP does a fantastic job even in challenging conditions (quartering seas). Setup couldn't have been easier. This is how an AP should work and my old Raymarine never did. I still suspect that old AP was never right-in-the-head. Still they've made a lot of improvements in the last decade.

Total cost came to right around $1000: Got the system on sale for about $1700. Then subtract a $300 rebate and selling off the old AP pieces.

I went with the Raymarine EVO-200. Driving factors were ease of installation, compatability with my MFDs and AP remote, and cost.

Have to say I am very pleased. The new AP does a fantastic job even in challenging conditions (quartering seas). Setup couldn't have been easier. This is how an AP should work and my old Raymarine never did. I still suspect that old AP was never right-in-the-head. Still they've made a lot of improvements in the last decade.

Total cost came to right around $1000: Got the system on sale for about $1700. Then subtract a $300 rebate and selling off the old AP pieces.

We put a EVO-200 on a early Mainship 34 this year and it has done well, caught the rebate as well and it was a great value.

I
Have to say I am very pleased. The new AP does a fantastic job even in challenging conditions (quartering seas)......This is how an AP should work and my old Raymarine never did.
I couldn't agree more! My EV200 has been great! (So far...):blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom