Anyone had their boat professionally rewired

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
I knew when I bought this boat it needed updating and was going to do a lot of it myself. My business this year is so out of control busy any free time I get I am enjoying using it instead. Has anyone had someone do a complete rewire and how much did it cost? My boat is 30 years old and I am owner #8 so the wiring is a total mess. Lots of abandoned wires. Any feed back is appreciated.

The ideal scenario would be for you to do it yourself. You would not only save a lot of money but you'd have first-hand knowledge of how your boat is wired. I did this with my boat during a repower/refit some years ago. If that's impossible, get out your checkbook. Rather than just turning it over to a boatyard though, do some research, talk to boat people you know and maybe connect with an electrician who would do it as a side job on the weekends. Don't expect it to be cheap....skilled people don't work for free.

I have rewired 95% of my boat. When I bought the boat it the wiring was a similar mess with non-tinned wiring and half of it was redundant.
At the same time I moved the batteries from the engine compartment to a bigger, more central compartment. This allowed me to installed a bigger, easily accessible battery bank.
Overall, it took me about 50 hours of labour plus quite a few hours of initial planning. It really is worth investing the time drawing it all up before you begin.

I couldn't tell you what the cost was. I stopped tracking costs long ago as I don't really want to know how much I spend on the boat.
The bonus is that you will know your electric system intimately when you are done.

Lots of abandoned wires.

I referred to them as Orphan wires as I was removing them. I think about 3 milk crates worth when I was done. But then I probably installed one or two crates worth of new wire. :blush:

Ted

I have replaced the main panel and done extensive rewiring but not 100%. Cost me about $1100 for the panel and probably another $2000 in wire, connectors and misc electrical hardware. I have no clue how many hours I have spent on the work. It depends on the boat and how difficult it is to get access.

As part of my refit (Willard 36), I am having the boat totally rewired. Every old wire removed. Like many boats, Weebles suffered from many DIY installs, many by myself.

Custom panel with back plane was about $3200. Electrician $9600 and includes install of new solar, electronics and lighting (Mexico, but not dirt cheap - mechanics and electricians are still $50-$60 per hour). Engine was out of boat, old ER sound insulation removed and new raceways installed along with new sound down ER insulation. I did the electrical design work which took at least 100 hours by the time it was done and parts ordered.

Done properly, it's at least a $15k job, probably closer to $20k. In my opinion, there are very few DIY owners who can do it right. There are quite a few who could do an okay job, but if you want straight, well supported and tagged wiring runs and a beautiful display when you open the panel, its beyond the patience of all but meticulous DIY owners.

Finally, as mentioned, I probably have 100 hours into planning alone including working with the panel builder to design the new panel. Thinking through all the wiring is very tedious in itself. Wire gauge, where to place switches, new bus bar for new, lower energy electronics, solenoids, inverters, and a lot more that didn't exist in 1970 when my boat was first launched. Without a detailed plan, probability of satisfactory results are greatly diminished.

Rewiring has without a doubt been the most complicated project during my refit. And will have the lowest return on investment to my heirs when I'm dead and gone and someone has to sell her. I did it because I've spent 20 years looking at my FUBAR wiring. I don't want to spend another hour of my life ever seeing it again.

Boats cause rational people to make irrational decisions. Rewiring a boat is Exhibit 1.

Peter

First things first. Start pulling out the wires to nowhere. It makes seeing what needs to be done much easier. Cheaper than having an electrician do it too. Just be absolutely sure before you cut.

I have a great company lined up to do the rewire and replace the auto pilot after it is hauled. I had them install most of the new electronics and a new inverter last month so I have seen the quality first hand. I am getting the boat ready to do the Loop at least a few times and then lots of cruising after that. I am trying to make everything as problem free as I can. Today I am giving my engine guy a deposit for a new genset. He is installing a Westerbeke 5.5kw. Yes lots of money being spent but I think in the end it is the right decision.

Getting back to the actual question asked in the original post. Yes, you want to get a lot of references and preferably see examples of prior work. An independent, ABYC certified person will be more economical as you avoid a yard's mark-up on their work.

The best scenario is to find someone who is willing to train you as they work and show you how to do it right. AC wiring in particular, because it is so dangerous. I liked doing most of my own electrical, but always had a pro at least help with AC projects no matter what. Make sure every cable is well labeled as to where it goes and what it is for.

Buy a copy of Nigel Calder's "Boat Owner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual" and study it, which will help you be a more informed consumer of professional services. A lot of the mess you are trying to clean up was likely the result of other amateurs doing what they were not qualified to do.

A shameless plug for my brother Steve a master marine electrician. The photo is from the green boat which he re wired in 2003ish. Unfortunately he is in Maine...

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 51
A shameless plug for my brother Steve a master marine electrician. The photo is from the green boat which he re wired in 2003ish. Unfortunately he is in Maine...

Rob

Beautiful! It would take a very talented and experienced DIY person to get similar results. The panel builder I used was in New Hampshire and provided a pre-wired panel with gauges and back-plane similar to this picture (back plane mounts to wall behind panel with a pigtail between the breakers and the back-plane - connections are made-up to back-plane, not the breakers. Very elegant install). It was a bit more expensive than using Blue Seas' Panel Builder, but was able to get a totally custom panel and the pre-wired of course.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom