Any suggestions on new electronics for someone who has no idea what he wants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cool beans

Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
Hey yall! Mostly been using the boat and asking a couple Bayliner questions on the BOC. I've hauled for the winter for some maintenance. Since I'm rebedding and replacing almost everything underwater, It's go me thinking about upgrading and replacing my electronics.

What's on the boat now is 15+ years old. I have a Garmin depth and speed fish finder gizmo with voltage readings :confused: The transducer was fared in with teak and that teak is rotten and needs to be replaced. So it will get pulled. There is also a paddle wheel that is damaged and is frozen in the holder.

The other instrument I have is a Lowarance chart plotter with a speed over ground reading. It stopped working last summer.

Previous big boat was a sailboat and had a speedo-wheel and depth sounder and I used my paper charts.

With all the Rn'R going on, I'm toying with the idea of just upgrading to a nice all in one fish finder/depth/speed/chart plotter? Maybe a future auto pilot would be nice. Pretty sure I would never use a radar.

It would be nice to eliminate another hole in the bottom. I just have no idea where to start and I'm not sure what all I would like to have. I'm a simple boater :thumb:

Suggestions or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

A decent modern multi function display will handle all the upgrades you are considering, including the autopilot. They are pretty straight forward now, and many can easily be installed by yourself and can be considered plug and play. New transducers don't need to be faired in, the transducer is actually offset internally to the angle of the hull, so it's also a very clean install.

Mine is Navico, but every brand has it's fans, for many reasons including price and "because it's what the commercial guys use". Furuno is top of the line, you get what you pay for, but almost all of it is decent unless you get unlucky.

Look at a few in your local West Marine, they will have a display and you get a good idea what screen size will make you happy. The area you have to mount the unit may dictate screen size for you, I can only mount a 12" display.

Good luck, be prepared to spend a few thousand :)

I agree that most of the new transducers don’t need the fairing block, just get the proper angle for your hull. I am removing 2 through hulls this winter, one from an old transducer and one from the old head intake. I have done the grinding and glassed in both from the inside and one of them on the outside. Have to glass the other one on the outside and then fair and paint the 2 areas. Just giving my back a rest before I climb under the hull to glass the second one. I have Raymarine electronics in this boat as well as the 3 previous boats. Have had excellent support from them but electronics are very personal as to what you like. Good luck.

"I'm a simple boater"

KISS is great , as a past sailor if you can read paper charts a depth finder is not needed.

A hand held GPS will show where you are on a paper chart , the depth is printed there , as is the bottom type.

A autopilot IS a device you may actually need?

A VHF is wake bridge tenders.

I would strongly suggest that whatever you go with, buy all of the same brand. It makes interfacing. cabling and adding in the future much easier.

Ken

Oh man, went to West Marine and was slightly overwhelmed! It was all very cool though :socool:

FF, I don't feel that comfortable traversing the lower Chesapeake without a depth sounder. The charts are nice but the storms change the shallows too much and too often in my opinion. I've had the chart and depth sounder dissagree by several feet once I start moving up the rivers. And churning up the mud to confirm it :lol:

I also learned that SOG via GPS is the thing now? Not that I really want to deal with a paddle wheel anymore, but I guess they are obsolete?

The Simrad Cruiser 9 looked nice and was less than a boat buck. I need to research more though.

Thanks!

Depth sounder should plug right into the MFD, I have a broadband sounder which requires an additional box in the circuit. It is very deep many places here, I typically lose bottom past 2000', and expect a less robust unit would lose bottom long before those depths.

Personally I don't care for touch screens, using the buttons to control the cursor is more comfortable for me, but it's a personal preference. GPS is pretty much the standard for calculating speed now, but there are solid state transducers that will also integrate speed through the water available if you want that function.

West is a fun place to go look, to see what's available, but not the best place to buy money wi$e. Look at Hodges Marine and other online sources, you can save thirty cents on the dollar over a brick and mortar store.

Consider what functions you might want to add later when selecting an MFD, also consider buying a package that has the functions you desire. There can be big savings in purchasing a package, I bought a 3G radar package with my MFD, added broadband sonar, and the MFD acts as a control head for my auto pilot saving a few dollars for that system.

Spending money is FUN!

I also learned that SOG via GPS is the thing now? Not that I really want to deal with a paddle wheel anymore, but I guess they are obsolete?

I still very much like to know my speed through the water (then I compare it to SOG). I get it from the paddlewheel on a P-66 (transom mount) transducer, so not sure what the options are for a non-transom mount one (if STW is important to you). Anyway, maybe I'm the last holdout (?) but I like it as a data point.

I still very much like to know my speed through the water (then I compare it to SOG). I get it from the paddlewheel on a P-66 (transom mount) transducer, so not sure what the options are for a non-transom mount one (if STW is important to you). Anyway, maybe I'm the last holdout (?) but I like it as a data point.

I like comparing SOG to Speed Through Water also! It’s particularly interesting when working the back eddies against the big tides around here and in parts north. My paddle wheel had stopped giving data, no matter if I went in reverse or hard forward. The boat yard took care of that while I had it hauled out for other work this winter :)

I lost interest in STW in my old sailboat. In the light summer winds, making 4 knots...into a 1.5 knot current, was terribly misleading :ermm:

I like to know exactly how fast I'm going, regardless of into or with current. That's how fast I'm going :socool:

The Simrad Cruise 9 is a nice "all in one" low end unit that I kind of like. And it is a less than a boat buck. Still looking though.

Hot bejebus! Can anyone offer any insight to the varied thru hull transducers available? I think I'm more confused on that aspect than I am on the different MFD offered.

Thanks!

I will link two presentations by Jeff Cote, here on the West Coast, writes in two cruising mags, has his own company specializing in electrical and electronics. He sells pretty much most stuff that is out there so he isn't flogging one brand of goods.

This video was done at the 2019 Vancouver International Boat show, a good overview of Garmin gear and helpful to steer you through some of the nomenclature Garmin uses:

This video was presented at the Vancouver International Boat show in 2017, so it is mildly dated but not by much. But more importantly he goes into electronic equipment and why you might prefer this brand or that brand, and selections and options on boating electronic goodies. It is fairly comprehensive.

On deliveries I've used just about every brand and model out there and they are all pretty much the same but for one aspect I feel is absolutely critical.

I've never cracked a manual on a Garmin unit. They are so much more intuitive than the others. Some brands one needs to keep the manual at the helm cause' you can't do much without it.

Hot bejebus! Can anyone offer any insight to the varied thru hull transducers available? I think I'm more confused on that aspect than I am on the different MFD offered.

Mostly it's just a matter of using the transducer that mates up with your display unit.

So pick your MFD or depth/speed/temp or fishfinder unit... and then get the transducer that works with your pick.

Airmar makes most of them as OEM for the various electronics companies. Maretron makes some, too. Which in turn means the specs for the MFD or etc. will tell you the transducer choice.

Happens Airmar has some with a "valve" system - eg., B774V -- that makes it less messy to temporarily remove the transducer for cleaning while the boat is in the water... and that's a slightly nifty feature if there's a choice of one transducer over another for a given display unit.

There's some technical stuff about frequencies for expected depths, or frequencies when you're installing multiple units (to eliminate interference), but almost anything will work here in the Chesapeake area.

-Chris

I will link two presentations by Jeff Cote, here on the West Coast, writes in two cruising mags, has his own company specializing in electrical and electronics. He sells pretty much most stuff that is out there so he isn't flogging one brand of goods.

This video was done at the 2019 Vancouver International Boat show, a good overview of Garmin gear and helpful to steer you through some of the nomenclature Garmin uses:

This video was presented at the Vancouver International Boat show in 2017, so it is mildly dated but not by much. But more importantly he goes into electronic equipment and why you might prefer this brand or that brand, and selections and options on boating electronic goodies. It is fairly comprehensive.

Hands down, these have been the most informative and helpful videos on electronics I've seen! Thank you! Thank you!

On deliveries I've used just about every brand and model out there and they are all pretty much the same but for one aspect I feel is absolutely critical.

I've never cracked a manual on a Garmin unit. They are so much more intuitive than the others. Some brands one needs to keep the manual at the helm cause' you can't do much without it.

After watching those videos posted above, and some more research, Garmin seems to be the most user friendly and that is my number 1 feature!

Side Scan Sonar more likely won't work on my boat, it looks like my transducer will end up being a GT23M-TH.

Now I'm just trying to decide between a Garmin GPSMAP 942xs or the simpler ECHOMAP Plus 94sv. Both will do what I want them to do, and watching videos, they seem stupid simple to use. The 942xs supports radar, autopilot, and has a higher screen resolution, but no buttons. The 94sv has buttons as well as touch screen, lower resolution screen, and no radar/autopilot support.

I'm not sure if I'd ever need radar and I've never had autopilot. Possible future upgrades, maybe...is it worth the price difference incase I wanted to add those items in the next 3-5 years?

If you don't plan to make those upgrades for 3-5 years, go for the lower priced item. The WORST thing about Garmin, they end-of-life their products, seems like about every 2-3 years. At that point, no updates/upgrades/support is offered... REALLY wish they would change that biz model. Main reason I went away from them when I did my full electronics upgrade last Oct/Nov...

just something to think about...

The 942xs is being dumped right now, I just bought one to use on the Garmin Network in conjunction with my 8616xsv. Whatever you get Garmin wise, make sure it is Garmin Network compatible, the 942xs is.

You don't know how you will be thinking a few years from now, if you have a unit that works in the Garmin network you can always add things. The major criticism of the 942xs is that it has only one NMEA 2000 port so if you add items latter you might have to add a Garmin splitter which in terms of boating dollars is almost free. I just looked in my 2018 Garmin catalogue, the Garmin 942sv isn't Garmin network compatible.

I read here that Garmin stops updates after a couple of years so I went to The Hull Truth forum and asked this question in their marine electronics section, here is the conversation below:

Me asking the question: I just read in another forum, trawler forum that Garmin stops updates after 2 or 3 years. What has been your experience?

First responder: If you have been with Garmin for a while you will see units well beyond 3 years that are still getting updates. That said, legacy units that are not electronically capable of running newer peripherals or features don't get updates because they can't use them nor need them. Most people who complain about non-supported items bought them 3+ years after they first came out due to pricing reductions. I used to do that with everything and have learned over time it is best to buy the latest greatest when I have to buy anything electronic.

Second responder: Besides new updates for yearly magnetic variances,predictive tide tables or GPS fixes due to GPS satellite changes are provided many times for MD gear as well for a long time. In addition the three year interval is totally wrong. For example the 8212 that is now MD and three generations behind the current 86xx models is still getting updates this year. So that is like 7-8 years after introduction.

I did a little Googlin' after reading that 2-3 year remark and the most complaints I read were when in 2017ish Garmin dumped "HELM" for Active Captain and discontinued support some legacy models that didn't have WiFi capabilities...

What do you mean that the 942sx is being dumped right now? What is the new model that replaces it?

Hands down, these have been the most informative and helpful videos on electronics I've seen! Thank you! Thank you!

I agree. Super helpful. I don't have radar on Sylphide yet, and I've really needed it on several occasions now. It's something I need to add sooner rather than later. I really only have experience with Furuno's commercial gear, and I'm far from an electronics enthusiast, so I don't have a natural intuition for this sort of stuff.

This thread and these videos have basically taken me from 'hell, I dunno... do
I really need one with a flux capacitor??' to 'I think I want the Garmin GPSMap 1242sxv and an AIS 800 transponder.'

I was looking at Raymarine, Furuno and Garmin to replace my current Raymarine Nav system. After talking to both Raymarine,Furuno and Garmin on line support techs, visiting West Marine and Defende to view options, MFD sizes, pushing the buttons or touch screens and talking with several reputable dealers who install all electronics, I was encouraged by a couple of 3rd party installers and boat owners to go Garmin. Tech advised based on experience Garmin offers better customer service support, witnesses less problems with equipment failure, Raymarine division is to be sold off - a possible sign products are not competitive, Garmin's business developing both integrated hardware and software (charts)/ support. I decided to pull the trigger on the Garmin 1242 touch plus & repeater, sonar, radar and autopilot kit. I will learn more about over all experience after install and running equipment this summer. If in need of good working used Raymarine electronics welcome to contact me at cmhlakeview@gmail.com. Good luck-

Another vote for staying with 1 manufacture. At least everything 'should' work together. Most chartplotters now have the GPS built in. 1 less cable to run. Not real concerned about updates.. After 2-3 years all the bugs should be worked out of the hardware and operating system. You do want to be able to update charts easily.
Autopilot you can live without until you've used one. I wouldn't do without. But, it doesn't have to run thru the chartplotter, you can run them with their own control head.

$$$ seems to be the biggest concern. How much you can afford to spend. All the major brands probably do about the same thing and as well as any other brand.

I also like to go with 1 brand. Years ago I was an engineer for a computer company. When customers had a problem and they had “foreign” equipment on their system our standard response was it was the foreign equipment that was the problem. With 1 vendor there isn’t any finger pointing, it is their problem and the support will probably be much better.

I had a couple mixed drinks and bought the Garmin 942xs and 18" HD+ radar combo and thruhull transducer. Should be here early next week :thumb:

Nice! I'll be waiting until my house sells to make that upgrade. Should be early 2027 at this rate... D:

Nice! I'll be waiting until my house sells to make that upgrade. Should be early 2027 at this rate... D:

Boat is already home ;) Just wish my boat appreciated like a home :lol:

Just closed on the sale of my previous home last week. Took 4 contracts to get one to go through! The first guy got stuck in China when they locked down a few months ago. Yep, the Wuhan flu hit me hard... financially.

Oh, to an earlier comment about paddle wheel speed transducers - I would never install one thru-hull again. The failure rate is too high. Transom mount perhaps. But personally I don't really care that much about speed through water, so a GPS for speed over ground is good enough.

Back
Top Bottom