Antenna for SSB receiving only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil23

Vessel Name
MV Unique
Vessel Make
Salthouse Coastal 35
Being a chronic insomniac I wish to install an SSB receiver only to help me fill the night hours listening to traffic at sea. I have a receiver on board however unsure as to what I need for a receiver only antenna. I have a 2 meter wip the single core copper wire (approx 5 meters) wound around it and soldered to a 1m bronze rod (car aerial thickness) at the top. My query is would this be adequate for my requirement.

"My query is would this be adequate for my requirement."

Should work fine.

"Run what you brung". A good start. Try it and see how it performs. You can't hurt anything with receive only. If it doesn't work out, go longer for HF.

If it doesn’t meet your expectations, spend some time searching the forums on qrz.com and eham.net

Being a chronic insomniac I wish to install an SSB receiver only to help me fill the night hours listening to traffic at sea.

You will probably be disappointed in the traffic you find, especially on the marine bands. If your SSB will receive ham bands, you will likely have a wider selection, but other than listening to networks that operate at a specific frequency and on a defined schedule, it is going to be hit and miss.

Its been a long while but I think either 4125 or 4149 use to be neat to listen to late night. Ships from all over calling in status reports to the home base. Radio geeky I know. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom