Antenna Splitter VHF- AM/FM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
I am thinking of getting a "splitter" to connect my AM/FM radio to my VHF*
antenna (a Shakespeare 3' sailboat antenna mounted on the mast spreader).* this
splitter is supposed to allow both radios to function at the same time and*
give good reception on the AM/FM bands. My stereo antenna now is a car antenna*
laying in the space above the forward windows, not too bad reception but fades
in or out as the boat moves.
I would be interested in hearing the experience, good or bad, of anyone who*
has used this type of Shakespeare splitter* or other recommendation.
Thanks,
Steve Willett
Monk 36, Gumbo
Thibodaux, Louisiana

Thanks Fred, I'll give*one a try. I hope you all are doing well.
Steve

We have had to use a set up with 2 antennas .

Inshore the sail whip shares with the similar looking radio whip as the offshore BIG antenna is laid flat for bridge transits.

When down the small wattage restriction built in the VHF** radio makes it very hard to contact a bridge or lock ,even when its in plain sight.

The base loaded sail whip is vertical and works well , a couple of miles out.

We don't* trust a switch , so plug the proper antenna in at the set , when the change from offshore to inshore.

-- Edited by FF on Saturday 28th of March 2009 03:38:26 AM

a splitter is a compramise...all you need for the am/fm radio is to head for a radio shack store, pick up a package of the connections that plug into where the antenna would would go...usually 2 in a pack...then get some #20 or #22 wire with the plastic coating, abt 25ft, and run the wire (i use white) from the radio under setee`s to a place where you can get up to the bridge...mostly virtical...i run mine up the mast too...(if you go up the mast, turn the top end down so water wont get in the end) it`ll work grate...with this setup, both the vhf, and the am/fm radios will work like designed! any radio, is only as good as the antenna...get a good one!...plus you`ll save some bucks!...c

Just remember if you use a "splitter" you will loose signal strength with your VHF radio. All manufactured splitters inherantly have some degree of attenuation in both legs over the radios being connected directly to a good antenna and it would show up most in the VHF radio leg.
I would think your best bet would be as Clyde says and use a length of insulated wire for the AM/FM and get as much of it running vertical that you can.
I have operated our AM/FM radio on about a 3 foot length of wire running up between the wooded window frames in the cabin with good results.
John
MV Penta

if you use a "splitter" you will loose signal strength with your VHF radio.

Indeed but if you operate the VHF with out any antenna , you just may get to stimulate the economy .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom