Another LED expensive bulb vs cheapie ebay/chinese question re: CCCV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought 48 LED panels. The kind that comes with all the various adapters. I then gutted my fixtures and threw away the 30 watt automobile bulbs and their sockets. I then silicon-ed the panels in and soldered the lead to the fixture switch and the other for ground. I gutted my florescents and put 4 - 48 LED Panels in. I have way more light than before and have to turn on eight or nine fixtures to see it on the panel ammeter. Everything I have except running lights are LED. I would do running lights except that they need to be for like 1 or 2 NM and many of the bulbs do not have the right certs.

Peter B & FlyWright.....did you buy the cheapie ebay type bulbs or the more expensive versions here? How about the fixtures? The more expensive ones usually say they are 9-30 volt capable, since they already have the CCCV buck adapter to control the voltage and current. ALso how much time do you have on them now?

Peter B & FlyWright.....did you buy the cheapie ebay type bulbs or the more expensive versions here? How about the fixtures? The more expensive ones usually say they are 9-30 volt capable, since they already have the CCCV buck adapter to control the voltage and current. Also how much time do you have on them now?

My oldest fixtures are over 3 years old. They were spontaneous purchases to test them out. I found them in Cabela's clearance room for $12 per fixture. They are a harsh white, but work pretty well for illuminating the fwd stateroom which we use for storage. I have also added battery powered LED light bars with motion sensors to provide additional light down there in the cave. If I was to do it again, I'd buy warm white lights.

Several months ago I bought the bayonet type bulbs at Amazon through Brightech. These replaced the ER bulbs in the existing fixtures. At about $10 per bulb, they were neither the cheapest nor the most expensive, but they were the brightest I could find (highest lumens) in warm white with 36 elements per bulb.

774132456951396c54534e51387a3449413077-100x100-0-0.jpg

About 2 years ago, I was going to do a bulb replacement in the salon fixtures but they were dated. Also, I found that the fixtures were heated by the old bulbs and were starting to melt into the vinyl headliner in spots, so I replaced them. I wanted to retain the red/white capability in the salon so I ordered units similar to these from Aqua Signal. They were $30-40 per fixture.

814b55d8ad49358c5e8a32707cb12f08.jpg

Last edited:
Mine were a swap (I had hinges, he had lights and sockets) ... The fellow said he paid $5 including shipping from China and so far I've had one that burned out partially. The rest: one in a Davis anchor light -- the company didn't reply TWICE to a complaint when it failed so finally I gave up and made it work myself with the cheap o's (muttering at lousy customer service), one in the galley, one by my solar regulator (installed in a fixture from a life-raft) and the final by my bunk.

Anyway, this is the one by my bunk and it's had a lot of use (three years, every night 'cause I read in bunk) without issue. As a matter of fact, the only failure I had was one from West (bayonet style) that was replaced under warranty.
Mine:
BunkLit.jpg

The wooden piece that swivels is a left-over from a quilting hoop frame. It's not fancy, but it works. Usually I have an opaque cap over the end to dim it -- it's too bright as is though in the galley fixture I find it just fine. And at the cost (50 cents each), well, that will buy a lot of replacements.

Second picture with the light out so you can actually see it:
BunkLight.jpg

Museum Putty holds it in place though at some point I might do something more professional looking. Seaweed is a boat, and she suits me. :)

Hi Kevin
I have recently filled in almost every socket in my gb46 with the cheapie ebay bayonet and reading reflector replacement bulbs. Only ones that have given trouble are the 2 festoon bulbs in the main panel. Wish I could save as much energy on the cold plate compressor! Dan

Hi Kevin
I have recently filled in almost every socket in my gb46 with the cheapie ebay bayonet and reading reflector replacement bulbs. Only ones that have given trouble are the 2 festoon bulbs in the main panel. Wish I could save as much energy on the cold plate compressor! Dan

Glad to hear they're working out Dan!

I already changed all internal and external LED light for now would like to put lights under the water with LED, anyone have any information?

I already changed all internal and external LED light for now would like to put lights under the water with LED, anyone have any information?
I recommend the Sea Blaze X series from lumitec.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom