Anchor Lights and LED Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading all the site would leave me with the opinion that the USCG requires the light to be an APPROVED light , which is then mounted properly.

Changing an approved light will void the approval,.

Simplest answer would be an extra anchor light , a legal one with a big filament bulb as approved , and a second light with what ever you decide on .

Would be hard for the Liar for Hire to prove which light was operating when some drunk drove in to you.

We have a over 65 ft Perko lamp mounted on the PH , and a plug in LED which is as bright or brighter that uses little juice all night.

It is struck at daybreak coffee time.

The most common late night hassle is someone driving over the anchor line , and only a locating ball gives someone a chance at knowing where the line actually is.

Last edited:
Actually guys.....

there is a case right now in Florida where the local cops are hasseling a guy who leaves his boat anchored out with a Home Depot solar path light on it.

When he went to the USCG, the USCG has said they will not get involved because it is an all around white light displayed during proper hours and probably pretty close to the visibility requirement (probably a stretch but the USCG know the creek is only so wide so why make a big deal out of it). They never once in print made a statement that it HAS to be certified. If the USCG goes on the record as it being "OK"...they have taken on some of that liability that although not perfect...it basically meets the COLREGs and they have in multiple pubs said owner modified lights are OK...but now the owners responsibility.

Just like oil anchor lights that are sold...they aren't "certified" nav lights but they meet the requirements and are used all the time. If they weren't the USCG would have warnings all over the place beyond just the "we don't care...it's YOUR responsibility to meet the NAVRULES"

Listen to Capt. Jack (Sailor of Fortune). I buy many bulbs from superbrite. That particular bulb is not certified for 2 mile visibility.

I have an LED anchor bulb from doctorled.com. I is supposedly certified for 2 mile visibility in an AquaSignal series 40 anchor light. Get a certified bulb for your fixture, or change the fixture. Just my HO.

Dr. LED Marine Lighting
Hi Don,
Debbie on Stella here. Dan is up on the boat trying to change the Aquasignal Anchor 40 light bulb to an LED and the housing is stuck! He cannot turn it and trying all kinds of lube and twisting with no budging. On searching the forum, I see that it looks like you changed out your bulb. Do you (or anyone else) remember how the housing opens?

The lenses including the black top rotate counterclockwise to get off. There are tabs that are on the clear male base. The lense is a replaceable item if you break it but it should come off. Good luck.

Last edited:
Cool that worked! Unfortunately he had already cut the wires and brought the entire mount down since he could get a good grip. Really appreciate it! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom