Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Anchor light set off center?

So I got a replacement 4' open array for my radar on my 4550. The new pipe arch I got came with a custom anchor light that will not go aft enough in order to be set on the centerline of the arch. My options are either go with a different radar or set the anchor light off center by about 2.5 feet on the 9-10' wide arch.The light would remain the highest point of the vessel and higher than the radar array by a few inches. Beyond esthetics, any USCG regulation violations anyone know of as a result of setting the light off center?
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Rule 30
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
I see nothing in rule 30 of USCG regs stating it must be centerline...just where it can be best seen and highest point is all it says?
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Don't see anything about centering:

Rule 30 - Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.
(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may , and a vessel of 100 meters and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.

(d) A vessel aground shall exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule and in addition, if practicable, where they can best be seen;
(i) two all-round red lights in a vertical line;
(ii) three balls in a vertical line.
(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.

(f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (d)(i) and (ii) of this Rule.

(g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule.

Being under 12 meters in length has its advantages.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
So I got a replacement 4' open array for my radar on my 4550. The new pipe arch I got came with a custom anchor light that will not go aft enough in order to be set on the centerline of the arch. My options are either go with a different radar or set the anchor light off center by about 2.5 feet on the 9-10' wide arch.The light would remain the highest point of the vessel and higher than the radar array by a few inches. Beyond esthetics, any USCG regulation violations anyone know of as a result of setting the light off center?
No...it's no big deal to have it off center as long as it's the highest object and unobstructed (and even that is subject to interpretation).

Beyond the "simple" rules...there are the annexes of the rules that go further into the vertical and horizontal spacing of light if you truly want to go that far...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote