Amazon sent wrong shorepower inlet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianG

I ordered the Marinco 30amp and received the 50amp. It's worth double the 30amp but it looks a little different. Now they're not responding to my "wrong item" request. Should I just live with the 50 and consider this a win?

I ordered the Marinco 30amp and received the 50amp. It's worth double the 30amp but it looks a little different. Now they're not responding to my "wrong item" request. Should I just live with the 50 and consider this a win?

If you have a 30A cable it's not going to work. Call Amazon or use the chat. I have found them responsive.

Must be karma. Amazon once sent me a 50a 120 instead of a 120/. 240. Went to plug it in two months later and found the error. More than 30 days so they told me to pound salt. Sold the wrong one on Craig’s list for a significant loss.
So sell the 50a for a profit and keep the difference. All balances out in the ned.

You could buy an adapter to make it work but it will be very pricey. I would just return it and get the correct one.

Heh, good thing I posted. I thought it was just heavier duty. Different wire config?

The connectors are psychically different and incompatible.

Call amazon, ask to speak to concierge customer service- state your case nicely to the US based person that will answer, and you should be good.

I have never, ever had any difficulty returning things purchased on Amazon. Doing so on their website is pretty much idiot proof.

For as big a company as Amazon is, they are really good when they make a mistake. I have always had good customer service from them.

I have never, ever had any difficulty returning things purchased on Amazon. Doing so on their website is pretty much idiot proof.
I have. Certain items aren't returnable and some of their 3rd party sellers have misleading ads that intentionally use ambiguous language and Amazon allows them to persist.
In the case of this Marinco inlet, like a lot of there items, the seller has 48 hours to reply. Imagine returning something from Home Depot and customer service said "We'll let you know in 48 hours what we're gonna do...if anything". The strategy is seems to be "maybe the buyer will lose interest and eat it"

I bought a set of stock ( $400.00) gm fender flares for my last truck, Amazon screwed up and send me 2 sets. I tried to return the second set and Amazon said "you can send them back but you will need to pay postage at your cost" . Took them to the pack and ship and got a $100.00 quote to send them back (they are in a BIG box). Called AZ back and told them I'm not paying to send them back.. they suggested I throw them away. A buddy got a new free set of flares for his truck!.
HOLLYWOOD

This is why when you buy things on Amazon, look for Amazon as the seller, not some third party.

This is why when you buy things on Amazon, look for Amazon as the seller, not some third party.

Good advise. I once bought a boat part from a third party via Amazon. The part never arrived, and I gave the seller a one star rating. Amazon removed my rating because I didn't blow sunshine at them. Two months later they sent my money back.

Keep the part and sell it privately, and order the correct part from Defender.

I, too have had great luck with Amazon customer support. Still, my recommendation would be to sell the wrong part and re-purchase the right one. This time make sure it's at least "fulfilled by" if not "sold by" Amazon. The will try to make it right if you have a real issue with a third party shipper, but maybe not as quickly.

But the real reason selling and re-ordering is better is that returns to Amazon are never re-stocked. Most are disposed of in landfills. Some are bundled together and auctioned off in large lots. You're not doing anyone a favor by returning it.

I've actually been trying to cut Amazon out of the loop completely. Often though Amazon just kills competition on shipping time. Not price as much, speed.

I could potentially be interested in a 50 amp cable, how long? Where are you located? I'm in Seattle. Let me know, thanks

Just asking - this is not a rant

Full disclosure - although "retired", I spend a couple of days a week at a chandler assisting boat owners select items for their vessel.

I enjoy a lesser price as well as the next person, but why would you purchase an item from an unknow source instead of your local chandler? There are a very limited number of suppliers for most of the equipment we use on board such that the retail price from one store to the next will not vary greatly - within a few percentage points. If 50% better - one should ask why?

You cannot imagine the number of times we are approached "bought this on XXXXX and I need help installing, or getting it to work or ...".

The flip side is the boater that comes and does the research in our store, asked the questions, takes staff time - then buys the product on XXXXX.

Just asking - support your local supplier when possible. If not - they might not be there when you need them the most.

Enjoy your boat

Amazon is easy to return/replace/refund. Look for live chat in their help section, under need more help/contact us.

have you tried emailing or calling marinco?
amazon is selling it for them. Marinco is usually very responsive

have you tried emailing or calling marinco?
amazon is selling it for them. Marinco is usually very responsive

I'd rather deal with Amazon. If you want an exchange or refund, you'll get that immediately.

Wrong shore power inlet

You purchased the wrong 1 in the 1st place.

Marinco is old technology and down the road can cause a fire.

Change your order to a Smart Plug.

Go here (https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3472949) and order the package.

Less of a potential for a fire.

1 of the 1st things I did on our boat after we bought her.

Amazon

Amazon's relationship with 3rd parties is interesting, We ordered a pool entrance railing this summer, vendor sent the wrong one, price was about $280. Called the vendor 3 times never got anywhere, they admitted that it was not what was ordered and they would contact us for resolution. Finally called Amazon customer service, our card was credited immediately and 3 months later the railing is still in our hallway waiting for disposition...

Go figure, Jim Bauer

Amazon does a great job of standing behind anything they sell even from third party vendors. I've never had a problem dealing directly with Amazon over any issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom