Old 06-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Inara
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 classic
alternator 110 degrees engine stone cold

Crawling over the top of FL108 and felt the heat coming off the alternator. The engine hadn't been run for 2 days. The alternator was replaced with a remanufactured unit 6 months ago. Turned off battery charger and checked 12 hrs later 105 degrees. Any ideas on a fix other than remove/replace?
pbsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Try a rebuild job. My guess is that one or more of the diodes has shorted. Usually they fail open. But in this case if shorted it lets current from the battery back into the alternator and heats it up.

A rebuild job is usually new diodes, bearings and a general clean up which sounds like all you need.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:07 PM   #3

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Another potential cause: The field should be wired via the ignition switch and not directly to 12V otherwise it will continue to drain the battery. Check for 12V on the field terminal when engine is off to eliminate that cause.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Probably a failed diode. You can buy replacement parts and there's trouble shooting guides online.

It's easy to rebuild an alternator. It takes about 30 minutes to take apart and reassemble. It's not rocket science. Some places for rebuild kits and parts:
https://alternatorparts.com/
https://www.dbelectrical.com/alternator-parts/
https://www.aspwholesale.com/
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

When port engine, with warm alternator, runs, it's amp gauge reads 0. When the starboard engine runs, it's amp gauge reads 30. Good reason to remove port alternator. New issue is that the battery selector switch doesn't turn power off. My bro recommends disconnecting the negative terminal of each of the 3 batteries. Then remove the power wire from the alt and tape it off. Then reconnect terminals for 12V power for, lights and fresh water pump. The battery selector switch has 4 positions - OFF 1 ALL 2. It has always been set on ALL. I have 3 batteries connected to a Charles 30 amp charger. Engines start in all 4 positions. 12V power does not work in OFF.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #6
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I did a lot of rewiring on my GB42 when I had one, primarily after I added two sets of golf cart batteries behind the two main engines to make a "house" bank. Yours sounds like how I inherited mine; three batteries with one for the generator while the other two had an automatic paralleling relay to send their combined power to which ever engine was being started. The poor thing about this was the fact that at anchor, I was using starting batteries to power the house loads hoping that they would not be depleted when it came time to restart the engines/generator, assuming you don't use the genny overnight. I would guess that your third battery (generator?) has no interface with the 1-2-both-off switch, and that it is just the two main engine starting batteries which got to the 1 and 2 posts on that switch. Unless you have a reliable drawing, you will have to trace the cables. The battery switch you describe, if it was like mine, is just for house loads and does NOT interrupt the circuit between the alternator and the batteries; so, despite the fact that it has a warning on it not to shut it off while the engines are running (in order to not blow the alternator diodes), you probably can, but test the circuit first with the engines off. The big battery disconnects which you should find in the engine room very well could interrupt that circuit - again, test it.

Leaving the battery switch on ALL offers the opportunity for a dead cell in a battery to drag the other two batteries down with it. Since the starters are independent of this switch, you don't need it in other than 1 or 2 most times which lets them remain separate. I added a second battery switch which allowed me to select the third battery into the mix for house loads should the loads demand.

If you ever want a look at my final design, send along a private message with an email address, and I'll send along a .pdf file.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

what changed?

Alternator was checked out by the shop and it'd make amps. So it's was opened up and there 2 wires that had worn through insulation and could touch and possibily create a terminal problem. Not an immediate priority but taken care of. Reinstalled and it works! But it also gets hot when not running. Disconnected the small gauge jumper wire and it cools down. Wire is connected to power lug and small post on upper back of case. Stbd engine alternator has a Leece Neville 200 amp that's corresponding wire is Negative. So Port may have had a heating issue from the 1st installation Jan 4 2021. When I have jumper wire alligator connected and I get amps and then with engine off heat that continues 117 degrees. Removing alligator for now
Old 06-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Have same issue with a new 3 month old large frame alt on ours.
Same thing, noticed it warm after 2 days and a screwdriver sticks to the front indicating blown diodes.

Took it off and boxed it up
Will be another couple of months before I can get it replaced or repaired under warranty

Engine and systems can run without it but it was nice having 70amps @ 24v smashing in on night passages.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #9
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Suspect the exciter circuit is constantly energized. I use a similar alt on my Cummins, the exciter is energized through an oil pressure switch. That keeps exciter off unless engine is running.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #10
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Simi, excellent sig line
Everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet
Full time cruising is repairing boats in exotic locations
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #11

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Sounds like your exciter wire is hot wired to the batts or to a power source that is not powered through your ignition switch. That will cause your exciter to power up and help drain batts. I bet that is why those wires got a little to warm.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #12
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Suspect the exciter circuit is constantly energized. I use a similar alt on my Cummins, the exciter is energized through an oil pressure switch. That keeps exciter off unless engine is running.
Maybe

Wired it identically to how the previous one was done, same alt, straight swap.

Only thing that has changed this time is the shroud has not been put back on (PITA to do) so now I can see and feel the alt.

But the alt does not seem to be charging leading me to think its got issues.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The observation was made that the problem alternator was stator activated. The other engine's is a trio activated. So I exchanged for trio, installed it, not getting warm and produces amps when engine is running. I'll see if I can get pictures posted
Old 06-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Alternators

[IMG]20210617_130918.jpg[/IMG210621_114327