AIS/VHF Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
Does anyone have a combination VHF/AIS radio transponder that they like?

Icom IC-M506. The ais function feeds our chart plotter via NEMA 20. The install was plug and play plus I like the radio.

Edit: Here’s a screen shot with targets.

Attachments

• D01B6F2F-0E04-4CE4-84F6-ED328DA0BB25.jpg
    D01B6F2F-0E04-4CE4-84F6-ED328DA0BB25.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Icom IC-M506. The ais function feeds our chart plotter via NEMA 20. The install was plug and play plus I like the radio.

Edit: Here’s a screen shot with targets.

If I’m reading the specs correctly the unit receives AIS signals from other vessels but does not transmit your vessel information. I’m interested in a VHF radio that is also an AIS Transponder.

If I’m reading the specs correctly the unit receives AIS signals from other vessels but does not transmit your vessel information. I’m interested in a VHF radio that is also an AIS Transponder.

I believe there is only one such device, and it was just recently approved for use in US. It’s the Vesper Cortex (I think that’s the name). Standard Horizon introduced one a couple of years ago, but for some reason was unable to obtain US certification. But I think you can buy it in Canada and elsewhere.

Looks like the most cost effective set up today is use your existing AIS/VHF receiver or straight VHF and add a

Digital Yacht AIT1500 Class B AIS Transponder $475 @ Defender

I am not aware of a transponder/tranceiver combo (maybe the vesper) yet.

If it gets below $400, that's probably the way I will go for Class B out.

I forget what was added to my boat to transmit, but I do transmit as well as receive. I haven't gotten the "what ever its called" number yet as I have only used my new to me boat in the off season. Translation: maybe only two boats on the water so I am not worried about receiving or sending right now.

I believe there is only one such device, and it was just recently approved for use in US. It’s the Vesper Cortex (I think that’s the name). Standard Horizon introduced one a couple of years ago, but for some reason was unable to obtain US certification. But I think you can buy it in Canada and elsewhere.

I’m looking at the cortex for my boat and it looks like a sweet piece of gear.

I’m looking at the cortex for my boat and it looks like a sweet piece of gear.

It does seem to be if you really want/need a single combined unit. Personally I prefer them separate so I can pick the VHF I like, and then pick the AIS I like.

I added a Vesper XB8000 AIS transmit and receive to the boat and kept the existing Raymarine VHF. I did add a separate AIS antenna as well. Works well, and offers WiFi so it connects to my Laptop, VHF, and 2 IPads. It also has a built in anchor alarm function.

I added a Vesper XB8000 AIS transmit and receive to the boat and kept the existing Raymarine VHF. I did add a separate AIS antenna as well. Works well, and offers WiFi so it connects to my Laptop, VHF, and 2 IPads. It also has a built in anchor alarm function.

I have heard of this unit and it sounds like a very featured packed transponder and as you mentioned the Wifi will display on your tablet devices.

Yikes[emoji844]
$1,850.00 is a tuff nut to crack. Nice unit though.

You are correct the Icom 506 is receive only, it would take a separate transponder to broadcast your MMSI number. If Kevin sees this post, he can tell you what he did. I see him on my Icom when he is in transit, but very few recreational boaters I know transmit, just receive.

Yikes[emoji844]
$1,850.00 is a tuff nut to crack. Nice unit though.

Seems like something you would only consider if you really, really need to have an integrated unit, for whatever reason.

So given that price, I would definitely go with separate VHF (if you even need a new one) and AIS.

Does anyone have a combination VHF/AIS radio transponder that they like?

In 2017 I installed a Camino 108S AIS and a Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF for a client, and then operated the system on the Ohio, Mississippi, Illinois rivers and Lake Michigan. If I was cruising my boat on inland rivers or busy harbors, I would install this system.

I have the Vesper Cortex and have been using it for a few months. It's an interesting product inasmuch as it combines a few things all together in a way that makes them easier to use. However, there are still gaps in the features compared to separate units (it's a first version product, after all) and it doesn't have the pedigree on the VHF side compared to the main manufacturers.

Vesper-Cortex-handset-angled.jpg

Having a touch screen + clicky things in a handheld and wireless package is very nice, though. I'm hoping to finish my write up on it within the next week or so. I'm also hopeful that what Vesper have done with the product energizes some of the normal VHF / AIS vendors to innovate a little more as well....

Any thoughts on AIS send-receive versus receive only for casual cruisers? I like the *idea* of a transceiver so that big boats can see me (coastal cruiser on Puget Sound). My beautiful bride's reaction to a transceiver: "I don't want everyone knowing where we are."

With a sufficient helm watch and radar, adding receive-only lets us take evasive action if needed. OTOH, I like providing our info to those big boats for their own peace of mind, sufficient time to maneuver if required, etc.

Thoughts from the group mind esp. wrt your experiences with AIS transceivers vs receive only?

I've been following every thread about VHF/AIS as my 1990 Icom radio doesn't have the basic "new" safety features. My new Garmin MFD can show AIS, but I haven't decided which transponder would be best to feed AIS to it. How to come up with a combo VHF/AIS transponder was answered in the mythical Standard Horizon radio that never materialized. So I'm still trying to piece together the best (for me) combination.

Every combination I've seen so far has a financial "gotcha" point. Something that doesn't quite make sense financially, but is required for really slick performance. The Icom M400BB ($350) mentioned above is a contender for the VHF in my system. It is NMEA 0183, which requires splicing a couple of wires instead of plug-and-play, but that is okay.

The M400 "black box" is fine because I don't need to see the traditional radio face on the helm. What a great idea to have the guts hidden on the back side of the helm and just a mic that does everything. And then the ability to simply take that mic up on to the flying bridge. You wouldn't even need to buy a second mic ($160). But wait, in order to do that, you need to by a microphone splitter. How much? $480. It costs more than buying a second M400BB that includes a second microphone and installing that on the flying bridge. The microphone has an 8-pin connection, so there are 8 splices inside the microphone splitter. For $480???

It's always something. Back to the drawing board.

I've been following every thread about VHF/AIS as my 1990 Icom radio doesn't have the basic "new" safety features. My new Garmin MFD can show AIS, but I haven't decided which transponder would be best to feed AIS to it. How to come up with a combo VHF/AIS transponder was answered in the mythical Standard Horizon radio that never materialized. So I'm still trying to piece together the best (for me) combination.

Every combination I've seen so far has a financial "gotcha" point. Something that doesn't quite make sense financially, but is required for really slick performance. The Icom M400BB ($350) mentioned above is a contender for the VHF in my system. It is NMEA 0183, which requires splicing a couple of wires instead of plug-and-play, but that is okay.

The M400 "black box" is fine because I don't need to see the traditional radio face on the helm. What a great idea to have the guts hidden on the back side of the helm and just a mic that does everything. And then the ability to simply take that mic up on to the flying bridge. You wouldn't even need to buy a second mic ($160). But wait, in order to do that, you need to by a microphone splitter. How much? $480. It costs more than buying a second M400BB that includes a second microphone and installing that on the flying bridge. The microphone has an 8-pin connection, so there are 8 splices inside the microphone splitter. For $480???

It's always something. Back to the drawing board.

This is one of the reasons I prefer single-purpose devices. You are trying to solve fewer simultaneous equations. Your VHF selection only needs to solve your VHF needs, not your VHF needs AND your AIS needs. It's much easier (e.g it's possible) get end up with what you want. You have to endure installation only once, but you will have to deal with a product's operation daily, for years to come.

We installed an Em-Trak class b transceiver this year - takes minimal space and works really well (cost was about $500 cdn plus installation). It is hooked into our Raymarine Axion mfd.

Really like it. It provides vectors of your course and the other vessels transmitting so you have a really good idea of where and when you might cross paths.

The other feature I like is that other vessels can identify you and hail by your vessel name if need be. Likewise you can of course also identify them.

We are only now installing radar and the AIS was great to have when we were caught in fog last summer.

If you are concerned about privacy you can install a switch to shut it off, if or when you wish to do so.

Any thoughts on AIS send-receive versus receive only for casual cruisers? I like the *idea* of a transceiver so that big boats can see me (coastal cruiser on Puget Sound). My beautiful bride's reaction to a transceiver: "I don't want everyone knowing where we are."

With a sufficient helm watch and radar, adding receive-only lets us take evasive action if needed. OTOH, I like providing our info to those big boats for their own peace of mind, sufficient time to maneuver if required, etc.

Thoughts from the group mind esp. wrt your experiences with AIS transceivers vs receive only?

As I wrote before, I went from no AIS during one delivery to full function transponder with AIS compatible VHF, and the difference was amazing. On our second day underway with this setup we were entering the Mississippi from the Ohio when we got a call by name from a tow upriver several miles upriver. He had seen our symbol on his plotter and asked us to hold our position because he needed all the room he could get as he came downstream through a wiggly channel. A few days later we were forced by low water to anchor close to the channel in the Illinois River. I was uneasy about this and checked a couple of times on our anchor light. About bedtime, I saw a tow's simple several turns of the river coming down to us. Thanks to the VHF compatibility, his MMSI was selectable without me having to enter the ten digits like I must on my own boat with receive-only AIS and no connected VHF. I called him using the DSC functio to tell him our situation to which he responded that he have been watching my AIS marker and that all would be well. AIS anchor light, hmmmm.

That's what I appreciate about an AIS transceiver -- the safety isn't just about me seeing them, but them seeing me, with Class B+ info about SOG, direction, &tc. info.

Think I'll look at separates for now as funds don't support a full-on system integration replacement.

Today's search for AIS/VHF combos brought up a unit that I hadn't seen before. The Simrad RS40-B VHF Radio With AIS Transponder. "The RS40-B includes a Class B AIS transceiver, which not only receives AIS targets but also transmits your boat's position to nearby AIS-equipped vessels." The unit addresses several issues for me. A radio ($350), a transponder ($450), and an internal GPS antenna w/no need for a splitter ($350). Total of separate parts would be $1,150. So the Simrad price seems fair ($1,100).

I only have a couple of wishes that probably can't be met. First, I like the black box idea for the VHF, even this one with its little AIS screen that I don't need. I would connect it to the MFD and there's the only AIS screen needed. I understand the idea of having separate parts for redundancy, but the helm can start looking like Houston Control with the bridge is bristling with antennas and radar arrays. It's a look appreciated by gearheads, but not one I'm going for. If my MFD suddenly drops the AIS targets, I'll have to occasionally look out the stern like in the olden days until the issue is solved.

Second wish is that the Simrad could use two microphones, one being wireless listen/trans. Maybe it can, I haven't finished the research. A wireless remote mic from the bridge or as an intercom to the bow or down the dock requesting help schlepping gear would be sweet.

If my MFD suddenly drops the AIS targets, I'll have to occasionally look out the stern like in the olden days until the issue is solved.

With my AIS receive-only, your AIS screen will never see me overhauling you.

Good information you are providing on the search. I like to follow the new stuff by having others do the search. Thanks.

Simrad has also introduced a black box version for those that don't have enough space at the helm:

RS100-B VHF Marine Radio

Stay connected and navigate safely with the Simrad RS100-B VHF marine radio - integrated with a Class-B AIS transceiver and GPS, for complete visibility of and by other AIS-equipped vessels. The system supports up to eight handsets (four wired and four wireless) and four external speakers for vessel-wide communications.

The Simrad RS100-B seems to ring all the bells when an HS-40 wireless handset is added. One last bit of info that I'm looking for. Does the microphone and the wireless handset show AIS targets on their little screens? Can one tap a target and communicate or only through a connected MFD?

$1,600 for the radio and $200 for a wireless handset. With tax and a bit of mounting hardware it comes to 2 boat dollars. Maybe for Christmas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom