Old 02-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #41
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Jeeezzzz, nothing is sacred.
John ......Are you and Tracey heading up the Columbia this summer with ASD? It won't be the same up north without you guys!
Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #42
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Jeeezzzz, nothing is sacred.
What happens in Alaska stays in Alaska? Except on TF?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #43
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Some folks do not add a picture of their boat for security. Others list only their MMSI number for security sake.
I list my MMSI and vessel description, no picture, upon the advice of the company and installers.
I also 'feed' the AIS information only to my RADAR display. I forgot my reasoning for this other than I want to know which ship to "call" if we are getting close. You know, the old 'I am here and you are there. Let's not hit each other.'
My thinking ma change on this but for now, that's my thought.
I have an ON/OFF switch but thinking about a 'passive only' switch, receiving and not transmitting.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 PM   #44
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
The real purpose of transmitting AIS data is for nearby ships (and boats) to be able to see you, know your position and course and your boat's name so they can call you on the radio by name.

Reporting stations and Internet sites are pretty much for recreational use.

If you have the capability, you should use your AIS.

Thank you!

This discussion, while interesting, was getting pretty far afield from what the purpose of AIS is. I have an AIS receiver, but really want an integrated AIS transceiver. My problem is that I’m not smart enough to install it one that will integrate into my legacy RM system. This is one of those situations where I would love to find a qualified tech shop and just make it happen for a boat buck or two.

I like being able to see AIS traffic on my plotter. I have now gotten to the point where I really want other traffic to see me as well on AIS.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Siesta Key FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
The real purpose of transmitting AIS data is for nearby ships (and boats) to be able to see you, know your position and course and your boat's name so they can call you on the radio by name.

Reporting stations and Internet sites are pretty much for recreational use.

If you have the capability, you should use your AIS.

Amen!
SiestaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #46
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Thank you!

This discussion, while interesting, was getting pretty far afield from what the purpose of AIS is. I have an AIS receiver, but really want an integrated AIS transceiver. My problem is that I’m not smart enough to install it one that will integrate into my legacy RM system. This is one of those situations where I would love to find a qualified tech shop and just make it happen for a boat buck or two.

I like being able to see AIS traffic on my plotter. I have now gotten to the point where I really want other traffic to see me as well on AIS.
and if you have RADAR it must be on too.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #47
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
John ......Are you and Tracey heading up the Columbia this summer with ASD? It won't be the same up north without you guys!
Thanks for asking Ken.
The plan is to leave our dock on Hayden Island early May up the Columbia and up the Snake as far as possible, then return to Hayden before the 4th of July. ASD may meet up with us, but they have a few logistical issues to work out before committing. After traveling so much over the last few years up North, we have tons of stuff to do here in Vegas, and we want to get Pairadice ready to head south in 2019 also.

We really enjoyed the last few years up North and meeting so many TFer’s, but we are so looking forward to some warmth. Mexico for a year or 2 then down through the canal, and then?????

Cheers!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #48
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
For those that asked,
A few years back we installed a Vesper unit that transmits and receive’s AIS via VHF. Because we have older Raymarine Chartplotter, radar and so on, integrating the AIS wasn’t possible, so we use a small screen by Vesper to see targets. It took me 2 years to figure out how to disable the Alarms on it, primarily in heavy traffic areas. AIS is a necessary item for us, as is the radar and our primary chartplotter the IPAD with Navionics. Ours is Wi-Fi capable, I just haven’t figured out how to get it to communicate to the IPAD yet.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #49
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Hmm.... No. I use radar when necessary to keep an adequate watch.

However when the weather is bad and/or there is a lot of traffic I do have radar active. The point is that if I am transmitting AIS, that provides a bit of extra information to other traffic around me.

On my sailboat I had a radar reflector to help others see me. I think of the AIS transceiver the same way and would like one.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #50
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel112r View Post
I have both Vessel Finder and Ship Finder on IPad. My vessel does not show up on Ship Finder at home port, but does on Vessel Finder, go figure.
This is not uncommon. The two have competing shore receiver networks. One often works where the other doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Sort of. Technically, you must use all available means appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions to avoid a collision. Use of long-range scanning and radar plotting are specifically spelled out.

IF a collision occurs, then you obviously weren't using all available appropriate means to avoid it. However, if no collision occurs, maybe radar was not appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

Still, it's best to learn how to use it when it's NOT needed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #51
Guru

City: Vermont
It as mentioned earlier, but I think bears repeating. AIS is for close proximity, ship to ship navigation, and for ship to shore in traffic control areas. It was never intended for following people around the world as they cruise. Some enterprising folks have found ways to do such tracking, but with a wide range of limitations given how the technology is designed and intended. In short, it's a navigation tool, not a tracking tool.

If you want to track your boat, there are other devices and technologies designed for that purpose, and they can track you MUCH better han AIS. So if that's what you want, that's what you should get. In short, inreach and go are tracking tools, not navigation tools.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #52

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Yup, AIS isn't the best way to track your boat.

There's another way to track real-time (family at home can actually watch your vessel moving on a map) as well as send AND RECEIVE texts and emails. Getting a license as an amateur radio operator opens up the world of APRS to you. There are no monthly fees, no subscriptions...you just have to buy your radio. A Technician license is super easy to get and opens up VHF/UHF voice & data. The next step up is General, and that gives you HF access for transoceanic communication.

Like AIS, it was not designed to be a tracking system, but it works beautifully for that purpose and gives the benefit of two-way data communication.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #53

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Love our Vesper X8000 with wifi, and anchor watch and the firmware is easy to update.
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #54

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
I'm not sure the OPs original question got answered very well but lots of good info in the replies.
Though new toys like InReach are cool, for the guy that doesnt want to spend more money, the answer is yes your family can track your AIS most of the time. We were all over the PNW last summer and our family had no trouble tracking our AIS... though I think they mostly used Vesselfinder. it shows vessel name, LOA, beam, and tonnage. If you're not seeing any details for certain pleasure craft, its possible that guy didnt fully program it.
In fact I can search my vessel name right now and it shows the very last place and time it was hauled out.
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #55
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
How about a portable AIS, NOMAD

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #56

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Oma
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogan\Manatee
Off topic a little what apps are you using with your xb8000

CaptTom, just ordered an xb8000. What app she are you using. Any issue should or tricks you learned? Planning on installing this weekend

Thanks
Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Note that these free tracking sites are only as good as the shore stations they're connected to. Up our way, outside the main harbors, you're mostly invisible to anyone on the web-based sites.

I have the Vesper XB8000, with WiFi. Love it!
Ftbinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:59 AM   #57
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrow View Post
I'm not sure the OPs original question got answered very well but lots of good info in the replies.
:
I am the OP, and I did find a lot of useful info. As I will be spending the bulk of this summer out of range of the required AIS ground stations, I took the advice and bought an InReach SE to complement my new Vesper 6000.

I'll be installing/activating both soon and ill post the addresses here.

Thanks for the assistance.

'Prof
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:48 AM   #58
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
I am the OP, and I did find a lot of useful info. As I will be spending the bulk of this summer out of range of the required AIS ground stations, I took the advice and bought an InReach SE to complement my new Vesper 6000.

I'll be installing/activating both soon and ill post the addresses here.

Thanks for the assistance.

'Prof
Good job.

The InReach is really helpful to one and all. Just make sure to take a plan that you will not go over for the month, otherwise it becomes quite costly.

Working boats in particular will appreciate your AIS.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote