AIS information displayed on Garmin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magna 6882

Guru
Vessel Name
Intrepid
Vessel Make
North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
Hi All
I was wondering what was normally displayed on radar or chart with regards to Ais. I see triangles and if i touch them they will display information if available. I was wondering if there were settings that changed what was being shown. Its hard sometimes to touch the triangle exactly so it takes multiple touches sometimes to get right on it.

I expand the chart plotter triangle, ( reverse pinch) then it’s easier to click on the image. Then I select “review “ from top left screen to see info on object. I don’t recall how much you can do from the radar screen. Will try playing with it this weekend.

You can also purchase a "pencil" that is to be used on the screen instead of your finger, suppose to work better and the cost is something like $7.

the hidden feature of touchscreens. They are next to useless in a bad seaway. I have a separate joystick for my Raymarine MFD.

The smaller the screen, the more touch screen can be an irritant. I have a 9 and 16 inch Garmin MFD, they both use touch screen. Neither are hard or difficult. I notice my buddy when he uses it, his finger shakes a bit but he makes a go of it. With my Garmin, you can purchase a separate control pad a little like a TV remote and input from it. I have put off getting one as I see how well I interact with the touch screen, so far no problems.

So far i have had to try to learn from the manuals,you guys and you tube, With covid i have had no on boat help. i did try waiting for the garmin expert at fisheries supply a week ago just to show me what this equipment can do but after an hour wait i needed to go. I was watching the movie Dead Calm the other night and there was a scene where the wife turned on the radar and could see the boat her husband was on and next to the blip i showed location heading and distance from her boat. Looked like ir could be helpfull but that was a movie.

Use your finger to put the cursor anywhere near the triangle. Then hit the info menu. Then select AIS vessels. And you will get a list in order of distance from the cursor.

Most garmins have a setting to display target info or not. From the chart screen go into settings menu > other vessels > display AIS target info or a similar set of button pushes but that should get you a general idea of how to display the data you want.

I was watching the movie Dead Calm the other night and there was a scene where the wife turned on the radar and could see the boat her husband was on and next to the blip i showed location heading and distance from her boat. Looked like ir could be helpfull but that was a movie.

Distance and range to target is the most basic info a radar will give you. AIS will give you the same info.

Both will also give you the speed and direction of travel of the target, but in different ways. With AIS, the target is telling you via transmitted AIS messages what direction and speed it's moving. With Radar using (M)ARPA, the radar observes the target movement and calculates speed and direction.

Both will also compute CPA (Closest point of approach) and TCPA (time to closest point of approach). This tells you how close the boats will pass, and when it will happen.

The AIS messages that targets send also include a bunch of non-navigational info like boat name, dimensions, type of vessel. And a vessel transmitting Class A AIS data sends a few extra things like destination port, ETA, dangerous cargo (all input by the vessel's master). ROT (rate of turn) may also be Class A only, but I'm not certain.

As to how you access and display this info on any particular chart plotter or radar... the manuals are your best bet.

i did try waiting for the garmin expert at fisheries supply a week ago just to show me what this equipment can do but after an hour wait

Remember, Youtube is your friend. There are Garmin tutorials there, I've watched them. Also a better forum for electronics help is The Hull Truth in the electronics section. Some pretty serious geeks and technicians hang out there and I have found them to be really helpful.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/

Youtube Garmin:

On the side of this Youtube is more of the Garmin tutorials.

Back
Top Bottom