Old 05-29-2022, 06:40 AM   #1
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Airmar Smartboard, anyone using them yet?

Anyone made use of the Airmar SmartBoat interfaces?

https://www.airmar.com/uploads/brochures/SmartBoat.pdf

They've got one listed (ASM-CES-T2) that'll do up to 4 voltage sources, and that'd be convenient for some battery monitoring I have in mind. The added interfaces for current loop and such would also be handy for monitoring a few other things.

But I've not seen anything online about anyone's experience with them.
Old 06-04-2022, 07:55 AM   #2
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Have been studying this a little, too. Will be interesting to hear feedback on it.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:53 PM   #3

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Scrimshaw
Vessel Model: 1990 GB 42 Classic
As am I - things I like - integrated wireless and uses N2K for power - that would make it a really easy install. In my case, I have a very very small N2K bus with just a couple sensors (AIS and depth for now).
jwag956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Scout
Vessel Model: Grand Banks EU 47
I was trying to figure out if I could use it with our Grand Banks Computank system to display tank levels on N2k….. You have that system as well, don’t you wkearney? Is that something you were looking at as well?
mliemon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:14 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mliemon2 View Post
I was trying to figure out if I could use it with our Grand Banks Computank system to display tank levels on N2kÖ.. You have that system as well, donít you wkearney? Is that something you were looking at as well?
I do have one. It's been surprisingly reliable, monitoring my water and two fuel tanks.

The Computank can't be integrated with N2K, apparently they won't share any info about how it works. I'm sure someone could figure it out, but I'd imagine the time is better spent installing something ready-to-go like a Maretron setup. if/when mine craps out that'll be the route I take.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #6
Guru

A conversation has been going over on this thread about NMEA-2000, and recent posts about batteries are along the lines of what I'm interested in using one of these Airmar units to handle.

There's an online demo gateway that allows experimenting with device configurations, like instances. https://smartflex.online/pgnsetup

I'd be interesting to know how the data these claim to be able to collect can be seen by other brands of displays, like Maretron.

It looks like I've got some either/or choices for voltage OR current loop monitoring with the Smartboat ASM-CES-T1 or ASM-CES-T2. I've not yet seen any info on which specific monitoring sensors are known to work with these.

It's also interesting to note that the feature table for these doesn't make it immediately obvious, but the first set of 'programmable' inputs are SHARED across the types.

As in, there's only 8 "Programmable Sensor Inputs" on a ASM-CES-T1 and those can be a mix of Thermistor, Current Loop, Resistive Senders or Binary Switch inputs. Not 8 of each.

Likewise, the ASM-CES-T2 supports only 4 programmable inputs which can be Thermistor, Resistive Senders, Binary Switch, or DC Voltage (no current loop).

The setup docs are pretty informative: https://www.airmar.com/uploads/installguide/D-20189.pdf
Old 07-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #7
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
It looks like a pretty good device, and seems unlikely coming from Airmar who don't seem to have a lot of software development in house. I wonder if they are reselling someone else's product, but I can't say I recognize it.

In terms of instance handling, it looks like you can set the PGN data instance for each sensor port, so I think that will work with Maretron's display products.

I see the product is quite expensive - order $1100. That's probably a lower startup cost vs Maretron, but probably more to expand or build a larger system.

The $64,000 question will be how the product actually performs versus the brochure-ware, and what hidden issues exist. All products seem to have them.

Please keep me posted if you try one.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:25 PM   #8
Guru

Agreed, and given the stagnant state of the airmar weather software I'm also curious about "where" this was developed.

There's trade-offs Like needing one of these with multiple sensors versus multiple other N2K units and the same amount of sensors. Power drain on the N2K bus for just this one (10 LEN) or possibly more with separate units. And then there's wiring to run for the sensors or run a lot more N2K bus and drop cables out to separate sensors. I'm thinking the sensor wiring is likely less expensive to run than more N2K bus/drop cables. Some of the units also include an ethernet port, a serial port with both N2K and 0183.

So you're potentially cutting down on quite a few separate N2K devices and their requirements.

Still, the "proof is in the pudding" as they say, and many of us have learned to be mighty skeptical of what literature claims versus was reality delivers.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:49 PM   #9
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Kaos
Vessel Model: Symbol 55 Pilothouse
I have one and am mildly impressed so far. I have a ton of Maretron on board as well, and of course a lot of experience with that brand as well as many others as I've searched for the perfect thing (that doesn't exist) for years.

I'm still shocked it came from Airmar..... So far it is just as you see with the demo web interface and appears to be pretty reliable. I've had it bork up a couple of times when defining alerts, which is one of the primary reasons I bought it. I'm very interested in having a device that looks at PGN values and sends out a NMEA 2000 alarm, instead of their own proprietary alarms.

I've not had it on board for very long, so ask away if you have specific questions.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 01:29 AM   #10
Guru

Which model# did you get, and what sensors are you using with it?

I'm interested in monitoring some batteries "better". Ones that are on the other side of a battery isolator, charged from a mastervolt charger.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:18 AM   #11
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Kaos
Vessel Model: Symbol 55 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Which model# did you get, and what sensors are you using with it?

I'm interested in monitoring some batteries "better". Ones that are on the other side of a battery isolator, charged from a mastervolt charger.
I ended up getting the ASM-CES-T2. So far I have one battery connected, a couple of tanks, and a bilge high/low water sensor.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:45 PM   #12
Guru

How are you monitoring the bilge high/low, which input?

I'm assuming you're doing tank monitoring with resistive inputs?

Any plan for the four relay output controls? i

t's kind of a shame those aren't 'shared' for any of the other purposes. I don't have anything on board that's wired up in a way that would benefit from these. I mean, I suppose it'd be handy to be able to control some things like some lights. Specifically navigation, spreader and flybridge lights. Those are only controllable now from either the breaker panels (nav, spreader) or a wall switch down below. I have a number of other circuits that I tend to keep turned off until needed that are also on breakers (trim tabs, vhf, stereo) that always get forgotten when I've already gone up to the flybridge.