Adding hard-wired remote for thruster/engines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Any simple, reliable solutions to adding a second set of engine/thruster controls? A good friend of mine has a 2014 Horizon 52 Powercat - enclosed flybridge with one helm; ZF throttle/gear controls driving a pair of Cummins.

His boat has a Yacht Controller wireless remote that controls thruster and forward/reverse of each gear (no throttle, just idle forward/reverse) so he can anchor or dock from deck level. Issue is the Yacht Controller can be a bit flaky due to leak/expanded battery, etc.

Any ideas on a hard-wired remote, basically a hard-wired version of the Yacht Controller? A second station in the stern would of course be great, but was hoping there would be a simpler solution given some sort of mechanism exists for the Yacht Controller.

Thoughts?

Peter

Last edited:
I have seen them on some boats, I think that OCDiver has them on his boat. You might send him a message and see if he does.

If the system is already electronic then there should be options for additional stations. Bearing in mind that the yacht controller's integration may complicate factors. It would seem like a good idea to find an integrator that REALLY understands the setups.

That and what about just getting the yacht controller setup fixed? A remote with a bad battery should be easily repaired. Likewise if reception is being problematic perhaps there's an antenna problem?

Issue with yacht controller is same as flashlights in warm climates like Florida. Batteries leak and swell, sometimes taking the contacts with them. I forget what he said the last replacement for the remote control was, but it was a startling amount of money. Plus he didn't realize it was toast until he was a out to leave for Bahamas. 2014 boat, so not that old.

Issue with yacht controller is same as flashlights in warm climates like Florida. Batteries leak and swell, sometimes taking the contacts with them. I forget what he said the last replacement for the remote control was, but it was a startling amount of money. Plus he didn't realize it was toast until he was a out to leave for Bahamas. 2014 boat, so not that old.

and that's why if I were to install such a system, I would want a controller with a cable instead of a wireless controller.

As Bill Kearney mentioned, the first thing is you need is to have or change your engine control system to an electronic system. If your current system is push/pull cables this change is not particularly simple and certainly not cheap. Then as mentioned there are provisions for just wiring in additional stations.

A non-portable system of hard mounting an additional station is very do-able for something like a cockpit station. You would just add an additional engine control w push-pull cables, an additional thruster control, and if you have an AP a simple toggle would give you steering too.

:socool:

Any simple, reliable solutions to adding a second set of engine/thruster controls?
Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom