Adding a fuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartouche

Vessel Name
On The EdJ
Vessel Make
Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Have to add a Breaker to our AC Panel on a Mainship 390, does any one know when I remove all the screws is there then easy access to the back of the panel? how do you support the panel when accessing the back? or is there access to the back that I am missing with the panel being left in place?

Attachments

• 20180312_133131.jpg
    20180312_133131.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 37
It's not a good design. Remove the black screws and the panel will come down. It just hangs there by the wires. I wrap a line around mine to support it. Not the best solution but it helps. Good luck

It's not a good design. Remove the black screws and the panel will come down. It just hangs there by the wires. I wrap a line around mine to support it. Not the best solution but it helps. Good luck
That is what i feared thanks for the heads up and Tip

Just a suggestion.

While you are working on it examine the panel to see if you could add hinges. A piano hinge would give good support and be easier than trying to align individual hinges.
You might have to add a piece of plywood on the back side behind the hinge for strength if the actual panel is to thin.

The screws could still be maintained around the other edges for securing in place when closed.

Use a hook/eye or a thumb turn type lock to secure in the open position.

Just a suggestion.

While you are working on it examine the panel to see if you could add hinges. A piano hinge would give good support and be easier than trying to align individual hinges.
You might have to add a piece of plywood on the back side behind the hinge for strength if the actual panel is to thin.

The screws could still be maintained around the other edges for securing in place when closed.

Use a hook/eye or a thumb turn type lock to secure in the open position.
Thanks for the suggestion great idea never thought of it - once in there may as well make it easier for next time

Adding a fuse ?

The CB are used to protect the wires , and perhaps as off/on switches.

Fuses are needed to protect the device being operated.
They can be had that blow quickly or slowly as needed and are easy to match the required load.

You should not need to mess with the main breaker panel to add a fuse.

Adding a fuse ?

The CB are used to protect the wires , and perhaps as off/on switches.

Fuses are needed to protect the device being operated.
They can be had that blow quickly or slowly as needed and are easy to match the required load.

You should not need to mess with the main breaker panel to add a fuse.
Not sure what you are saying I have to add a separate breaker for a new Charge for my Stern thruster, the only way I see of doing it is to add a breaker to the AC panel and wire it in.

Breakers and fuses can serve the same function, protect the wiring. Breakers have the added function of being able to serve as a switch. Yes you will need to add a breaker in the 120 volt side to power the battery charger. In your panel, and most, it is a PITA to do. While you are in there and have it torn apart you might add some spare breakers. I would add 15 amp breakers if you have spare locations. No telling if what you might add will take a 15 amp breaker but that is the most commonly used breaker so it would be a good chance to take. Worst case you will have to tear it all apart again if you need something different than a 15 amp breaker but you would have to tear it all apart anyway to put in the breaker you do need.

Breakers and fuses can serve the same function, protect the wiring. Breakers have the added function of being able to serve as a switch. Yes you will need to add a breaker in the 120 volt side to power the battery charger. In your panel, and most, it is a PITA to do. While you are in there and have it torn apart you might add some spare breakers. I would add 15 amp breakers if you have spare locations. No telling if what you might add will take a 15 amp breaker but that is the most commonly used breaker so it would be a good chance to take. Worst case you will have to tear it all apart again if you need something different than a 15 amp breaker but you would have to tear it all apart anyway to put in the breaker you do need.
Cheers sorry I meant Breaker as shown in Picture, and take head your advice to fill empty slots, am also installing a piano hinge to make access easier in the future

Good advice to add some spares while you have it taken apart. Unlike home breaker boxes, on these you have a hot copper strip running down the lenght of both sides - have to remove the screws to all breakers, unless you are lucky and only need access to the bottom few or top few. Good luck, as I had to replace one last fall on the DC panel - right in the middle :banghead:

You may have access to the back of the panel through a closet or something. Check it out.

You will find that the wires are cut short and getting any distance away from the mounting wall will be very hard. Probably you will end up removing some wires, mark them.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom