Old 01-24-2022, 01:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Grace Harbor
Vessel Name: Seabiscuit
Vessel Model: Mainship 43 aft cabin
Camera

I use. A small Garmin monitor with wireless backup camera wired to a 12v switch. Inexpensive and effective with no latency.
Rthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:41 PM   #22

City: Green Cove Springs FL
Vessel Name: Shellerina.com
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Wyze CAM v3 - Night Navigation

In addition to the Wyze "Outdoor" CAMs, that have the rechargeable battery in them, Wyze makes a CAM v3 which requires a USB power connection to operate. I have two permanently mounted on our boat, one facing forward, and one facing aft. As one post already pointed out, a camera or display that can do a left-right mirror image flip would be very desirable, as a boat overtaking me on my port side, shows up on the right side of my iPad display at the helm! Sorry. Not very intuitive for your backup camera use case!

However,
One thing NOT yet mentioned in this post is the "low light" feature of the Wyze CAM v3. These two blog posts show two different times we found the low light feature to be very helpful underway at night.

https://shellerina.com/2021/10/26/night-time/

https://shellerina.com/2021/10/15/lo...-cameras-help/

These also come in handy to bring USB power to the right places on the boat:
Scanstrut ROKK Charging USB socket Available at Crutchfield and other places online, including Amazon.

I got it confirmed that the Wyze "Outdoor" Cameras do not have this same amazing low light feature as the CAM v3. (Something that was not 100% clear when the "Outdoor" camera came out.)
Capt Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:45 PM   #23

City: North east md
Vessel Name: Arcadia
Vessel Model: Beneteau 47 Swift trawler
Backup camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdresdner View Post
I need to add a back down camera to my Grand Banks Europa trawler for single handed docking. Extremely difficult getting wires from my electronics crib (which has wired video feeds to upper and lower helm Raymarine chart plotters) to a rearward location. Iíd much prefer to view camera feed on the existing Raymarine(s) then on yet another device.

Anyone have success with a local network and Bluetooth compatible cameras feeding my phone or any iPad or tablet or best yet integrating to my Raymarine plotters? One other question would be how long do batteries in Bluetooth compatible cameras typically stay charged?
You see about killing two birds with one stone by looking in to a ding security camera.
arcadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:48 PM   #24

City: North east md
Vessel Name: Arcadia
Vessel Model: Beneteau 47 Swift trawler
Ding security camera.
arcadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:50 PM   #25

City: Fairhope, AL
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 32
Back-Up Camera

We went to Costco and bought a automotive back-up camera - built into a license plate surround with built-in solar cells. The receiver is about the size of a smart phone and plugs into a 12V cigarette lighter. We attach the camera to the rail around the upper deck/flybridge with two hook-and-loop straps; when in port we put the unit inside the pilothouse up under the forward ports so itís in the sun and can recharge. We also find the camera useful for when weíre helming from the pilothouse to watch for overtaking traffic.
SchoonerSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:34 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Fremantle
Vessel Name: Carioca
Vessel Model: Searay
Spend the money and get a proper fit for purpose marine camera. The cheap Chinese camera systems are designed for security not active situations like backing down (delays and reversed images on your display). The potential for confusion and damage will cost far more than a decent marine camera. And it’s an investment - Unlike a cheap camera in a marine environment 5 years later it will still be working .
BevinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Lake Havasu city
Vessel Name: DOS MAS
Vessel Model: Ocean 50 mk1
Blue tooth it no wire and easy to install
Rich wilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:56 PM   #28

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Hippokampos
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
angus99 is the photo you're showing from a live stream or from a recording from the SD card?
sailorjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:18 PM   #29
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorjoe View Post
angus99 is the photo you're showing from a live stream or from a recording from the SD card?
The photo in post 14 is a grab from livestream. I donít have an SD card loaded yet. Still havenít been able to try the cam out on the boat.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:06 AM   #30

City: Lathum
Dear Scottwb96. Thank you for the detailed explanation. I would like to connect one camera with an ethernet cable to my Raymarine Axiom chartplotter. Which camera could I take? Second question: how am I going to see the camera image on the Raymarine chartplotter? Is there a cameraApp for that? Can I easily switch between navigation map and camera? Thank you in advance for your suggestions! Best regards Jan from the Netherlands
jkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #31

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Star Weird
Vessel Model: Camargue
BevinB- I don't think the OP was about doing it the "cheap way" but more about inability to cable and run wires easily to where they would need it.

As far as using the "cheap cams", there is no issue with delay or flipped images with those. I have 6 hardwired (ethernet) into my Raymarine Axiom and for a grand total (6 cams, 8 port network switch, power cable, ethernet cables, fused distro block) I am still WELL UNDER the ~$500 cost for just ONE Raymarine CAM220...

Hey, if I need to replace 1-2... lol, all 5 in the next 3-5 years, I am totally ok with that... Replacement is simply:
1. unplug ethernet
2. unplug power
3. 3/4 twist camera to release
4. reverse process to install...
Scottwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:45 AM   #32

Jkap-
Here is the camera I purchased for my interior views (engine room and generator/cockpit area). Depending on your cams location this may or may not work for you. It's not a weatherproof outdoor camera, so you would need to see if the seller has the exact same type but for outdoor use.
Once you get the camera, you need to plug it into your home router and do the setup at home. Making sure the configuration settings are what you will need.
1. Must support H.264 video compression
2. Must support RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol)
3. Must support ONVIF Service Detection (ONVIF User Authentication MUST BE 4. DISABLED) ... inability to configure this IP camera feature is
the most common cause for IP camera incompatibility.
5. Must have DHCP enabled & Dynamic IP set to ON
6. 720p or 1080P resolution

When connected at home is also when you can name the camera. Helpful hint organize your naming conventions to they will be in the "center of the screen if you are going to do multiple cameras. If just one camera, move it to the bottom right. Otherwise the Axiom icons sit on top of the camera names...
You can also play w/ the IR settings, FPS rate, flip, mirror, motion/alarms (I didn't see a need for those) etc...

You will also need to get this on the Raymarine network, depending on your setup, you may need to buy some more cables. If you already have the HS5 switch and have an open port, you can plug right in.
If you don't, you can buy a cable to convert from the Raynet over to standard ethernet setup (like you have at your house). That's the route I went... I now have an 8 port POE switch (~$60 Amazon) that connects all of my Axioms (4 total), the CAM220 for my Augmented Reality add-on. As well as a secondary 8-port (non-POE ~$20 Amazon) switch that all the cameras connect into.

I have found, at least for the first time when you connect into the network, that if you plug everything in, power up the cams and THEN power up the Axioms, the Axiom with handle DHCP and hand out the new IP's for the Axiom network. Make sure you Axiom has DHCP enabled in the settings... If this doesn't work, then try the opposite way, power up the Axiom then power up the cams (heard it sometimes works differently for some people)... After about 1-2 mins, you should see the cams start populating on the Axiom. You don't need to do anything!
Once you see them, you can go in and organize it/them how you see fit. Set up the tiles how you want, bounce back-forth as needed, do split screens, etc...

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=33035230614

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this all helps... It SOUNDS way more complicated then it is... The "hardest part" is finding the right cams that fall within Raymarine's B.S. requirements!!! :P
Attached Thumbnails
camera lens & distance options.PNG   Raynet Adapter Cables.PNG  
Old 01-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #33

Raymarine and camera

a lot
thanks; I will try. The links can no longer be opened.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkab View Post
a lot
thanks; I will try. The links can no longer be opened.
try this one... You're looking for this one or something similar to it...

CamHi Wifi Wireless Wired IP Surveillance Camera SD Card Black Dome 1080P 960P with P2P Mic IR Cut Filter CCTV IP Monitor

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...1c21791eCYdJAl
Old 01-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #35

Thanks, I think I'll give that camera a try. Unless Hosafe still informs me which camera has replaced the H2MD6PA. What I am not yet clear is what I have to do in the Raymarine chartplotter to see the camera image. And how to make it so that I can easily switch from the map view to the camera view. If you would like to tell me more about that I would be very grateful.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:03 PM   #36

You dont have to "do" anything. They will start populating on their own. You should have a "video" tile on your main screen (may need to scroll left/right to see it). If not, just hold down on the screen and add a new tile labeled Video. Click on that tile an on the right you should start seeing them populate after everything is fired up. See pics below...

Also, if you're not already subscribed to the live videos they do almost every week on Thursday's you SHOULD!

Attached Thumbnails
Axiom Tiles.PNG   populating cams.jpg  

Tags
bluetooth, cameras, local area network