Active Captain & Chart Plotters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
As many of you are aware, Active Captain has made their cruising data available on several different platforms, such as Garmin's Homeport PC route planning software and Androids Tablet app - NutiCharts.

This is good stuff especially when you cruise beyond your usual destinations.

I've been laid up for the last several months with maintenance issues. Does anyone know if the active captain data that displays on Garmin's HomePort software also uploads to the chart-plotter?

I doubt it would because the chart plotter would need to be programmed to handle it. I use it with Polar View on a pc and Nav2plan on an Android tablet.

Dave

We do all our piloting from the fly-bridge where a laptop or tablet would not be convenient but the chart-plotter sure is. I hope Garmin implements an upgrade to display Active Captain data. I'm surprised Garmin hasn't provided an upgrade to the plotter since their HomePort soft has been upgraded to provide Active Captain data.

I've often wondered how to update the operating system of my plotter/radar. Although I can update the maps via the card I don't see how they could supply an OS upgrade.

Dave

Don't know Garmin specifically, but many systems are likely similar.

Our Furuno chartplotter does not incorporate ActiveCaptain data. I would not expect Furuno to update the NAVNet 3D that we have just for AC data... given our MFD is already one generation older.

MaxSea TimeZero on our laptop -- essentially the same software engine thsat drives the plotter -- does incorporate AC data.

Updating charts and software on our plotter are pretty much the same: get the new stuff on an SD card and then cycle through the new files (charts) or set-up (new software) routines.

Would guess tgat most of all that is similar with Garmin and Garmin-compatible hardware.

Plan2Nav on our Android tablet does incorporate AC data... and since it uses C-Map (Jeppesen) charts, it also seems to have some of the marina data C-Map offers/offered. (Not yet sure about that; limited experience so far.)

-Chris

I've got Plan2Nav installed with the East Coast chart but there seems to be no bridge clearance data. What am I missing?

Bob

I've got Plan2Nav installed with the East Coast chart but there seems to be no bridge clearance data. What am I missing?

Bob

I see some bridges have clearance data, others don't. Dunno why, but the data for nearby bridge that I checked is indeed on the paper or raster charts.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom