Actisense NGT-1 USB to N2K connecting to Airmar WeatherCaster software??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Crossing my fingers that someone reads this plea and knows how to get an Actisense NGT-1 talking to Airmar's WeatherCaster software. I'm trying to get a Surface Pro 7 (Windows 10) communicating with my new Airmar 220WX weather station so I can set up some parameters and update the firmware.

When I 1st connected PC to N2K, the WeatherCaster software saw the 220WX (& other sensors), but data connection was intermittent and now nothing.

I've been in contact with Actisense tech support and so far we've gotten the Windows 10 PC to talk to their software, NMEA Reader (that happened earlier today). But tech guy's in England and gone for the weekend.

Anyone solved this connection problem? Thanks in advance!!

I have connected an NGT-1 to a Surface and got all the weather data from a 120WX into Coastal Explorer. I am not using the Weathercaster software since I can see all the data on CE or Raymarine instruments. I don't use it regularly as I use a Rosepoint NEMO gateway to get NMEA 2000 data into the PC.

Tom

I've used that combination before and don't recall any drama.

If possible, pair down the N2K network so only the NGT and 220WX are on the network.

I have a 220wx also and use it with Rose Point via NGT. I don't use weather caster because it was troublesome to me also. Rose point IT sent me a fix to make it work properly. I also have an interesting story about Airmar. I had 2 boats with 200wx installed on both also using Rose Point. When the computers were updated to windows 10 they both stopped working. Took them to marine electronics store where they were purchased to have them bench tested and they were toast. They denied that windows could have caused it and air mar would not warranty them because they were just out of the time limit. I was hesitant to use the airmar again but hard to find something similar. So now I don't update the computer unless it is disconnected from my N2K network.

I’ve had the same issue with my 220WX, Windows 10, and the NGT-1. Very unreliable connectivity from the software, crashes, etc.

I ended up having to isolate the Airmar to a NMEA 2000 bus of its own to configure it and then put it back. Super annoying.

I’ve had the same issue with my 220WX, Windows 10, and the NGT-1. Very unreliable connectivity from the software, crashes, etc.

I ended up having to isolate the Airmar to a NMEA 2000 bus of its own to configure it and then put it back. Super annoying.

Thanks for the tip. Another poster mentioned reducing the other NMEA inputs as a way to communicate with unit. Self defeats the concept of using the software to view ALL the information via their software - water depth, water temperature, etc. Actisense tech support guy is still working on my issue. Not sure I'll get anywhere, but sure appreciate his efforts!

Turns out reducing the number of NMEA inputs was a good idea! With just the N2K bus turned on, the WeatherCaster software works with the NGT-1. I can add a few other inputs (chartplotter, AIS, etc.) before the software crashes. Remove the added inputs and the software starts working again.

Big shoutout to Activesense - the tech support person stayed involved and responsive. He contacted Airmar to double check that they hadn't changed the WeatherCaster software (they hadn't) and was very helpful.

I was pretty sure it had to be something relatively simple.

I ran into some issues yesterday with Weathercaster and the NGT-1. Turns out that only the latest version of Weathercaster (3.0.0.5 would allow proper selecting of the 115200 baud rate needed to communicate with it.

I figured this out by connecting the NGT-1 with the Windows 10 PC using the Actisense NMEA Reader program. That showed the speed, and the version of Weathercaster I had installed wouldn't allow anything faster than 57600.

The bus layout is such on our boat that the most chatty device on the network is also up the mast with the 220WX, a Furuno SCX-20 satellite compass. That and two displays on the flybridge (Maretron DSM410 and B&G Triton2). I did manage to split the network at a point where I could plug the NGT-1 into it. It was raining and I don't have the strataglass panels up, so I couldn't segment it further. That was enough to let me use Weathercaster to upload the latest firmware to the 220WX. It took quite a while for the 'Program' step of the update to complete, like around 20 minutes! Other devices were much faster to update.

Now it seems I'll also have to connect the PC again while underway in order to do some circles to properly calibrate the compass in it.

It sure seems like Airmar should have a less problematic way to update/calibrate these units.

I ran into some issues yesterday with Weathercaster and the NGT-1. Turns out that only the latest version of Weathercaster (3.0.0.5 would allow proper selecting of the 115200 baud rate needed to communicate with it.

I figured this out by connecting the NGT-1 with the Windows 10 PC using the Actisense NMEA Reader program. That showed the speed, and the version of Weathercaster I had installed wouldn't allow anything faster than 57600.

Now it seems I'll also have to connect the PC again while underway in order to do some circles to properly calibrate the compass in it.

It sure seems like Airmar should have a less problematic way to update/calibrate these units.

Came upon this old thread when I was having problems connecting to my WX220 using the Actisense NGT-1. I removed most devices from my network and then was finally able to connect to the WX220 with the weathercaster software. When I go into the "Enable/Disable functionality" tab it says that PGN's can not be displayed or modified. I'm trying to reduce my network load and the WX220 duplicates many of the parameters being sent by my Furuno SCX20. I'd like to disable or at the very least reduce the refresh rate.

Is there no way to disable or adjust the frequency each PGN should be sent?

Attachments

• Screenshot (21).jpg
    Screenshot (21).jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I should also circle back to checking this. I have a different laptop now and have not reinstalled all the software that was involved. So I don't remember the exact steps involved, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom