ACR Bivy Stick - Emer Sat Comm’s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Helmsman 4304
Considering one of these for offshore use.

They allow ones cell phone to be used with satellites for communication, text, and SOS.

Monthly data plan, and unused data rolls over for future use.

Has anyone used one? Likes/Dislikes?

Can you connect more than one cell phone/phone number to it?

Attachments

• E01E1795-4998-4542-B661-751C7F29E938.jpg
    E01E1795-4998-4542-B661-751C7F29E938.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 11
Found the answer to my question regarding second phones after I posted earlier.

There are other products out there. This one looks as good as any, and I have had good luck with the ACR PLB’s in the past.

Attachments

• 47E36F8D-EDD4-4DF2-A00D-32FDAD879DA5.jpg
    47E36F8D-EDD4-4DF2-A00D-32FDAD879DA5.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 8
Interesting. I have never heard of this - sounds more similar to In-Reach than IridiumGO. My main use-case is getting decent access to weather. I could not find what type of wx products were available for ACR Bivy. I chose IridiumGO over Garmin InReach because I could get usable wx products visa Go.

Fletch- what is your use-case?

Peter

Peter,

I have 3 VHF’s on board, and the primary has an auto distress button that will send out my boat details, location, etc when pressed.

But, I like to have the phone as well for sending text messages to people ashore, especially when traveling solo. I also like having a few separate sources for a Mayday, hence the PLB, and now this.

It’s primary use will therefore be communication with others while offshore or at the Channel Islands and no cell coverage is available to provide text updates and basic communication. In the event of a medical or a mechanical, I can convey information back and forth to someone ashore, and talk through a problem.

I am not sure how detailed the WX info will be. However, its another source of info when I cant get cell coverage.

Lastly, its for land use while hiking in the Desert or other places where cell coverage may not be available.

I think the disadvantage of it might be that a cell phone is required for anything other than an SOS signal. Some of the Inreach products have a small screen and enough buttons to use independently. The user interface is very fiddly and you wouldn't use it for routine messaging, but depending on the emergency you find yourself in, your cell phone may be broken, lost, battery dead, etc.

I think the disadvantage of it might be that a cell phone is required for anything other than an SOS signal. Some of the Inreach products have a small screen and enough buttons to use independently. The user interface is very fiddly and you wouldn't use it for routine messaging, but depending on the emergency you find yourself in, your cell phone may be broken, lost, battery dead, etc.

Agree, that’s why I was asking about a second phone, which can be used with the device per their literature. I also plan on connecting to my IPad if it will allow it.

Back
Top Bottom