AC rotary selector switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not belive it will.

Looks like 2 sources and an off.

Have you been to their Web site?

Confusing but it helped me and when I emailed a local distributer...they were very responsive and helpful.

What are you trying to do?

Looks like only two source, when I needed a new one I finally talked direct with Kraus Naimer. They were great and got me the right switch at a good price right away.........happy customer.

Simpler folks can use a 240V 50A plug ( the boat) and 3 sockets (the sources) , which solves the joined vs not joined ground and neutral wiring hassles.

Simpler folks can use a 240V 50A plug ( the boat) and 3 sockets (the sources) , which solves the joined vs not joined ground and neutral wiring hassles.

While that would work fine for me but I doubt it would work for my wife and/or guests. It also takes more room.

According to the Kraus and Naimer website this is a 2 pole switch, meaning 2 inputs. Be sure that any switch you get is a break before make type switch. Just my $.02.

There is a phone number just call them and ask.

But as others have said, it appears to be a two input switch and the amperage capacity at 240 v looks like it would be to low.

You have a unique definition of "simpler". :D

Anyway as part of the restoration of Lazy Libra, I'm rewiring her 50 amp to support the new amp load and looking for a good marine rotary switch for gen set, shore and inverter. Already paying Blue sea plenty for new panels .......just looking for an alternative to their $450 rotary switch..........frugal I am! Thanks for the positive input everybody

I'll pipe in here and question why you need a switch to go between genset, shore, and inverter to begin with.

since you indicated you are buying new panels anyway...

The traditional design is to have a selector to choose between two sources, IE the generator or shore power. This can be acomplished easily and cheaply using breaker lockouts or a two position rotary switch. This setup powers the main AC panel.

The inverter powers a separate sub panel, with Its AC feed from the main panel. If you want the inverter sub panel to be able to bypass the inverter completely another set of breaker lockouts, or a two position rotary selector switch would provide redundance in case the inverters ATS maldunctioned.

I'll pipe in here and question why you need a switch to go between genset, shore, and inverter to begin with..........

Yes, an inverter should not connect to the boat's main electrical panel because there's no way it could possibly support all the loads. AC, water heater, stove, etc.

A sub panel would be best. Another plan is what I did. I have a single circuit supplying all the 120 volt AC receptacles so I wired the inverter to this circuit. The inverter has an internal transfer switch so if the inverter is on and there's no AC power, it supplies power to the outlets.

As others have said , you only need a three way switch if 1) your inverter does not have a built in transfer switch and 2) your inverter can handle all the loads (otherwise, you have the complication of turning off those loads it doesn't handle before switching)

Why not get one of these nice NewMar switches?

Newmar AC Ship Shore Switches-AC Newmar - Star Marine Depot

This reminds me of a year or two ago when I got some major internet flaming here for urging folks to have a separate inverter sub-panel. Ah well....

As others have said , you only need a three way switch if 1) your inverter does not have a built in transfer switch and 2) your inverter can handle all the loads (otherwise, you have the complication of turning off those loads it doesn't handle before switching)

Why not get one of these nice NewMar switches?

Newmar AC Ship Shore Switches-AC Newmar - Star Marine Depot

This reminds me of a year or two ago when I got some major internet flaming here for urging folks to have a separate inverter sub-panel. Ah well....

Thanks....just what I was looking for!

You have a unique definition of "simpler". :D

Indeed, How does the 3 way rotary handle the fact that the neutral and ground are combined at the source.

At the invereter, at a noisemaker , and at the dock power pole .

For a boat plug with 3 sockets its a no brainer , ez to understand and perhaps $50 for everything.

Back
Top Bottom