AC power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Functional devices RIB relays will do what you want. One such as this https://www.functionaldevices.com/downloads/datasheets/RIB01P.pdf

They also make a RIB01P30 which is rated at 30 amps if you want something more robust.

As an example tie the coil to the water heater element and switch the air conditioning off with the contacts or tie the coil to the air conditioning compressor to shut the water heater off.

They also have many other RIB relays with many different funtions.

Ghost,

Your Lifeline house batteries are not 1200 ah, the biggest they make is 400 ah, deep cycle. You might be thinking starting battery.

Yes, a back up charging system is a great idea. Let me know what you do, I've got the same limitation, except I can charge using the engine, or a portable charger which would be a PITA.

I didn’t mean to imply I have a single battery, just that the bank size was 1200 or so. I think I was up to 8 batts not including the starting batts. I should remember since I’m the one who hauled them in and the old ones out. I’m just a little taller than std golf carts batts.

I don’t want to hijack this thread but given the subject I figured it was pretty broad and most of the people who are likely to have solutions are on it.

I have two 240VAC generators feeding two 110VAC legs on my AC distribution panels. I like to balance the loads on the generator/s but I always seem to have more load on one leg than the other. I have looked at rewiring and swapping the heavy loads but there are always scenarios where the new layout wont work.

I was thinking about putting heavy loads onto a three way switch or circuit breaker (if ones exists) so I could play “balance the legs” when I get bored.

If I had my preferences and the money I would just wire the whole boat for 240VAC and buy some European or Japanese appliances but that will have to wait for the next boat.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paul

Square D has 24 volt circuit relay breakers, i use them in refrigeration application for shedding loads, they work great.

"I like to balance the loads on the generator/s but I always seem to have more load on one leg than the other."

That is pretty normal.

The genset wont mind unbalanced loads that much,,the caution is if the wiring to the devices is undersized.

IF the feeds - the red and black are the same size wire as the white , there should be no problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom