Old 08-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
AC 'humidity control' setting

My marine AC has a moisture control setting that runs the fan and the compressor up to one hour per day. When I left the boat today I thought about using that setting but then changed my mind because I didn't like the idea of the AC raw water cooling pump running when I wasn't on the boat. So, I just shut off the pump and turned the fan on low. Now I wonder if it's good for that fan to run constantly.

Questions:

If the hose popped off the pump for some reason would one hour of run time sink the boat?

Is it OK to run just the AC fan to circulate some air and keep things from getting mildewed?

What do others in high humidity areas do to control the air inside the boat when away?

Here's a description of the humidity mode:

Humidity Mode

While in the on mode, press the power and the down buttons simultaneously to enter the humidity or moisture control mode. The characters "HU-1" appear in the temperature display indicating successful entry.

The first cycle starts in 1 minute. The fan is started and air circulated for thirty (30) minutes. During this time the air temperature is sampled and entered into memory.

The cooling cycle is started and continues until the temperature is lowered two (2) °F. The compressor is allowed a maximum of one hour running time to reach the desired temperature. Four (4) hours after the temperature is satisfied or the compressor times out, the cycle is repeated. During the humidity cycle the cool LED is lit while the compressor is running.
The humidity mode is provided to maintain a specific temperature and humidity range when the yacht is unoccupied for extended periods of time.

Exit the Humidity Mode to the Off Mode by pressing the Power Button once.

Please Note: The humidity mode can ONLY be entered from the ON mode.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
I'd put Louisiana's humidity up against anywhere. No AC on my boat (I wish), so just button up the boat when I leave, all thru hulls closed, and don't worry about it. But, it's humid when I open it up. When I run the boat, for awhile anyway, the instrument panel (volts, oil pressure, rpm, water temp) do fog up a little till the lights inside warm it up. Not good for the instruments, but that's how it is.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I doubt one hour would sink the boat...especially if your bilge pumping capacity is more than 500 gallons per hour.

Many AC pumps are only up to around 1000 gal per hour for several large ACs.

sure you can use fan only...not sure why you wouldn't use dehumidify. Check your hoses carefully and you are probably ok...I am a bit paranoid to...but learning to trust my work and I do have new AC units.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Guru

My Ac hoses look a little suspect. How often should they be replaced?
Old 08-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
My Ac hoses look a little suspect. How often should they be replaced?
When they look suspect.

It does depend on the type of hose and conditions it is in.

My reinforced vinyl hoses (2-20 years old) had to be cut off the barbs....the hose clamps crumpled in some cases, no leaks....so much for the hose clamp cops.

I would be worried as much about chafe and holing them...or because they become hard with age, maybe brittle and could split. Especially if they are near a heat source.

But a good visual inspection and tugging will tell a lot.

I was worried as much about the older AC units as I was about the inexpensive tubing.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
Guru

City: gulf coast
Yes you can run the fan. Not herd to replace if they eventually wear out

In FL I ran a cheap fan 24/7 to keep down mold and used tea tree gel because I didn't like running the humidity mode all the time and plugging up the water tubing with well fed barnacles. I later added a dehumidifier draining to the sink for extended absences.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Guru

I also have a little dehumidifier draining to the sink. Modified the tank with a tube that runs to the sink.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:57 PM   #8
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I use a dehumidifier that drips into the galley sink, I've had it for years and am happy with it. It is quite large and has a compressor etc. I see now there are some smaller ones by Evadry available run off Peletier(SP) principle electronics, they are about 50-60 $ I may try one or two to see how they do. if ok I may use them while cruising and leave the large one at home it is heavy and takes up a lot of space.
I'd be nevous about running the A/C while not on the boat but I see boats with them on at marinas 24/7 often.
Attached Thumbnails
Dehumidifier.jpg