AC/DC outdoor cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwilkieo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
WILSON
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32-260
I would like to add an AC/DC or maybe just a DC freezer and/or refrigerator to my sundeck and wonder if any of my trawler friends have had good or bad experiences doing this. Looking for all options before I open the wallet.

I want something that could sit outdoors without self destructing. If there is no such thing, what is the most robust portable system that I could move off and on for cruising.

Thanks in advance for any/all recommendations.

David

Engel! I use a 40 quart as a freezer when shrimping, carrying bait going out and shrimp coming back in. It is a low energy draw AC/DC freezer that will freeze the contents hard was a rock, or can be used as a refrigerator with the control turned down.

Research them online!

I recently bought a Unique unit, two compartments, works well.

L

I also have an Engel 40 quart on my upper steering station. I use as a freezer does great in Florida summers but my upper station is fully enclosed. I would not feel comfortable with this unit open to the elements unsheltered. I don't think it would last.

Many"car fridge" types come with a tight fitting zip cover. Helps insulate and protect. We have a 35L Waeco, and a Chinese made 45L branded Kolner which pulls down so fast. Good solution if under cover with no sun exposure.
We pull one down and load it at home, connect it in the car going to the boat. But having one fixed onboard should work.

We've used this dual unit in our Sprinter for five years. This company makes a lot of units that go out as other brands. Dual zone, you can freeze both, cool both or any combo.

https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-6...1606612816&sprefix=wynter+dual,aps,441&sr=8-5

Screen Shot 2020-11-28 at 5.24.31 PM.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg

Dometic. All heavy duty plastic and SS exterior for marine use. We have the insulated cover. Used it on our 44 Tolly “mounted” on the aft/sun deck. Now in our salon as an “end tables in our 4788. On the Tolly we set it up as a fridge/freezer. On the Bayliner it’s set up as a freezer. AC or DC and extremely quiet. Different sizes and configurations available. It really held up well when we had it outdoors - can’t even tell it was exposed to the PacNW Salish Sea weather.

I was ready to spend the $$$ on an Engel, but ended up going with Truckfridge. Same (Danfoss) compressor, and about 1/2 the price. I can be powered via AC or DC. So far, so good. Truckfridge communication was excellent and the unit shipped the same day of my purchase. I use it in a Sprinter van, though, so not outside.

Back
Top Bottom