8D house battery bank dead. Replaced with 6v golf cart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No proof, just an entire career as a tax accountant. Sure, the examples you mention are valid but experience tells me that most are just cheating. The credit card charge is what, 3 or 4 per cent yet that guy offered a 7% discount? Why, when the credit card payment is guaranteed?

the other possibility that nobody seems to have acknowledged is that credit card fees eat up a chunk of profit for a small business.

In the Bahamas it's extraordinarily rare to not have a business charge a surcharge for credit card use...

Come on folks, if the welfare people paid taxes on their welfare checks and their non-taxed jobs and the politicians (the imperial govt) paid taxes on their 'special deals', the govt would be rolling in money.
I am not worried. I will die soon so it is someone else's problem. But soon after I die, the feds and state will be standing at the head of the line to get their 'death tax'.

Not only that but the pentagon wastes Billions of dollars every year. They don't even Audit themselves. Give me a break!!!

Whoa!
A true no brainer there!

Really?

I can’t believe a conversation about batteries(and an informative one) turns into a tax lecture...go to another website for that crap that no one wants to read here...

So, don't read it.
I can’t believe a conversation about batteries(and an informative one) turns into a tax lecture...go to another website for that crap that no one wants to read here...

I would fill the batteries with a clear plastic tube inserted in the water jug (1 gal) with a fuel bulb in the middle of the tubing. Just make sure to check the direction of flow before beginning to pump the bulb. Don't ask how I learned that.

Dangerous Fault Current Problem

Hi.. Connecting 2 sets of GC-2 Golf Cart batteries together is fine, BUT when you connect 3 sets together, you exceed the Fault Current Capacity of Normal Recreational Boating Equipment.. In order to reduce the Bolted Fault rating of the Equipment, install a in line fuse on each set of plus lead of each set, to clear any possible direct fault. I guarantee that if you have a bolted fault & do extensive damage to your hull, & any other boats, the Liability involved is enormous. If your insurance company sends a sharp investigator to survey the damage & finds this condition, your claim for all liability can be rejected!
This has happened more that once. Seek the advice of a local Marine engineer if you want to seek other solutions other than fusing the batteries.......Ken Ongemach BSEE, Tampa, FL

Hi.. Connecting 2 sets of GC-2 Golf Cart batteries together is fine, BUT when you connect 3 sets together, you exceed the Fault Current Capacity of Normal Recreational Boating Equipment.. In order to reduce the Bolted Fault rating of the Equipment, install a in line fuse on each set of plus lead of each set, to clear any possible direct fault. I guarantee that if you have a bolted fault & do extensive damage to your hull, & any other boats, the Liability involved is enormous. If your insurance company sends a sharp investigator to survey the damage & finds this condition, your claim for all liability can be rejected!
This has happened more that once. Seek the advice of a local Marine engineer if you want to seek other solutions other than fusing the batteries.......Ken Ongemach BSEE, Tampa, FL

Ok, now something useful in this string.

Ken, can you expand on this a little?

John

As OldDan43 observed, thread drift is a way of life on all discussion forums. Threads are not "owned" by anyone. Some of the best threads I have read are the result of your dreaded thread drift. In this case you simply do not like the second of the parallel discussion. Do what just about every other person does, ignore that which you do not like and move on to the next thread. So, now this thread is running in three directions instead of two, thanks to you. You, sir, are now guilty of your own crime.
"catalinajack"
"So, don't read it"

Start your own thread...Jack

Ken, I rather doubt a claim such as you describe could be rejected. I review my policy every year. I could find nothing that says doing stupid things is not covered.

Nice install, My t105 lasted about 15 years.
Pull you negative from the opposite corner of the positive.
Helps work the two other 12 volt banks that are hanging out to the left.
Albeit small there is a voltage drop across the cables tying the parallels together.

Bolted Fault rating of the Equipment

Ken,

I never heard this term before. Does it mean too much voltage for the wire? How can that be if the appropriate wire size is chosen?

Rob

I had T105's in the last boat. A friend recommended Water-Miser battery caps. https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/water-miser-vent-cap.html
I recommend them.

I have them as well; I still take off the caps to inspect and water but it does seem to cut down on water consumption.

BTW, I have ordered but not yet received so no report, a much more convenient hydrometer than the turkey-baster style, here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/322082591860

From England, to here, under $25 bux, and while not the electronic sort at a 4-figure price, it's got to be better than all the fiddling I had to do with my baster-style, not to mention that the bulb wore out on it, just like the previous one I had, just from sitting in a marine environment (which is tough on actual rubber, we've discovered).

Reviews are very positive other than that the plastic tube seems to have a tendency to detach over the cell (not a good thing!) - I'll check it carefully when I use it...

Trojan batteries are great. I do DC distribution and battery systems as a profession and have been very impressed with the Trojan’s ability to deliver many amp hours and still stay above 12.0 volts. I have T-105s on my boat too.

Trojan batteries are great. I do DC distribution and battery systems as a profession and have been very impressed with the Trojan’s ability to deliver many amp hours and still stay above 12.0 volts. I have T-105s on my boat too.

Welcome aboard!

At the risk, for which I apologize, of thread drift, I went to some considerable extra (above others' prices) to use Trojans in my 4xL16H-AC bank.

The experience has been far from optimal. I now believe that the bank I put in less than a year ago is toast, as its apparent capacity might be a quarter of the expected, if that. THAT bank replaced a prior bank which failed under warranty, albeit one unit at a time, whereas this one has all behaving alike.

I won't hijack the thread; as mentioned earlier it's easily a stand-alone discussion. But my experience has been very expensive and not encouraging; yet, due to either walking away from the very expensive ones and turning them in as simple cores, or having to fight (still have not received reimbursement for the first bank) for warranty fulfillment, I believe I'll be replacing these.

Sigh...

:banghead:

Dangerous Fault Current Problem

Hi.. Look Nice, But be sure to install a fuse on the plus lead of each of the 3 sets of batteries, as 3 sets exceeds the Fault Current Rating of Recreational
Electrical Equipment
If you have a accidental fault involving all the batteries, which will do extensive damage to your craft & possible surrounding vessels or equipment & your Insurance Company sends out a good Investigator, like me & finds this condition, it is grounds for non payment of the claim. So go down & buy those fuses, now..

Ken Ongemach BSEE
Tampa FL

So, you had two banks in a row fail prematurely, you replaced the first bank with batteries from an acknowledged leader in quality products, and you (apparently) believe it was faulty batteries? Twice? Methinks, perhaps, the cause is aboard your boat.
At the risk, for which I apologize, of thread drift, I went to some considerable extra (above others' prices) to use Trojans in my 4xL16H-AC bank.

The experience has been far from optimal. I now believe that the bank I put in less than a year ago is toast, as its apparent capacity might be a quarter of the expected, if that. THAT bank replaced a prior bank which failed under warranty, albeit one unit at a time, whereas this one has all behaving alike.

I won't hijack the thread; as mentioned earlier it's easily a stand-alone discussion. But my experience has been very expensive and not encouraging; yet, due to either walking away from the very expensive ones and turning them in as simple cores, or having to fight (still have not received reimbursement for the first bank) for warranty fulfillment, I believe I'll be replacing these.

Sigh...

:banghead:

Ken
Can you point me to more info re Fault Current Protection, Limits, etc. I scanned what I have in ABYC Electrical and Calders book and can't find more info. Inet searches turn up recent ground fault references but I know that's not what you are referring to.
I have 2 AGM 8Ds on my Mainship that used to go through a 1-2-all-off switch that I have tied together into a house bank. I did this ahead of the Sw to be able to monitor its SOC with a Balmar Smart Gauge that has to be connected to the bank Pos terminal.
This was a house / start bank previously but is now pure house as I've moved the starter to my thruster 8D which is a much shorter run.
My plan for the house is to replace the 2 8Ds when needed, with either 4 GP31 AGMs or 4 GC AGMs and always try to follow ABYC guidelines when doing work.

Thanks
Don

OK, now make each 12V pair have the same loop cable resistance, either by having the same length of same cable or different size cables to compensate length. Positives and negatives don't have to match, only the total length. Do this to obtain even service life between all the batteries. Otherwise at replacement time you'll be discarding usable capacity - like tires not rotated.

I have T105s, in service for 9 years, and I can't tell their performance from new. It is much due to not that many cycles and small depth and rate of discharge - the full capacity supports 10 days at anchor. Interestingly, they have never seen 14 volts. The alternator is set at 13.8 and the charger 13.6. They've never been at higher voltage, never equalized, never had a smart charge.

So, you had two banks in a row fail prematurely, you replaced the first bank with batteries from an acknowledged leader in quality products, and you (apparently) believe it was faulty batteries? Twice? Methinks, perhaps, the cause is aboard your boat.

You may be right; I have a marine electrician coming to give my system the evil eye when I get back from having a new shoulder installed.

But all the metrics suggest I'm doing it right (long discussion omitted in favor of the original poster).

However, when the first set arrives with one unit bad (dead center cell) and the others fail the same way, singly (not in pairs nor the entire bank at once) it's suggestive of a manufacturing issue.

And when the second set exhibits abnormally low SGRs on receipt, and after many full charges and equalizations, with all cells virtually identical, it raises my suspicion level :facepalm:

This forum is generally a very friendly bunch.

In general, we do not talk very favorably about wooden boat restoration.

We definitely do NOT like 8D batteries.

pete

This forum is generally a very friendly bunch.

In general, we do not talk very favorably about wooden boat restoration.

We definitely do NOT like 8D batteries.

pete

:iagree: True - but there are really only 2 days I hate mine...
The day of install and the day for removal!

:iagree: True - but there are really only 2 days I hate mine...
The day of install and the day for removal!

When I had 8Ds on my N46, purchase price of the new batteries included removal of the old batteries and the installation of the new batteries. Well worth the price.

Back
Top Bottom