Old 12-19-2017, 05:31 AM   #21
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Thanks for the support to think about the batteries, find out what's in the market 6v and if the supply is bad, then i do 12v AGM batteries for Victron's bank, I have a very good experience on the previous boat.

Here 6v batteries are used for cherry pickers and cleaning machines as well as electric forklifts...

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
FF
Guru

"The energy is actually stored on the SURFACE of the lead. More surface area = more energy stored."

Actually large surface area allows the instant discharge rate to be higher , which is why start batts are many thin plates.

Surface area changes the RATE at which the batt can be discharged , but not the amp hour capacity .

The surface of a start batt gets covered with bubbles with too much cranking.

They don't go dead rapidly they just stop being able to produce voltage , till the bubbles leave.

On a cruiser with a large enough deep cycle house bank , there may be enough surface area to start the engine , with the house set, even if down to 50% SOC.

The possibility then exists to not have special batts to start , allowing the "start" batts to be in the house bank , giving a larger capacity to the house bank.

IF this compromise was used , it might be wise to have a GP 31 start batt on the noisemaker or the bow thruster , so in a disaster it could be carried to the engine or dinked to a charge.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #23
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
I only know they are 6v and there are 4 pcs. and the system is 12v. I have read that the NT37 total capacity of 440ah AGM. Do we understand that one 6v battery is 220ah and 4 pieces total coupled to 12 volts would be 440 ah?
Yes, for math see denverdon's post #11.

440 Ah AGM suggests your battery brand may be Lifeline... GPL-4CT, see GPL-4CT - Lifeline Batteries

-Chris
Old 12-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #24
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
The battery market in North America is much different from the rest of the world.

The popularity of golf carts over there has made 6V flooded lead/acid batteries very cheap and they are the best value for a boat's house bank.

In Australia, the choice of 6V batteries is limited and they are much more expensive. Perhaps people walk when they play golf. But - I find that we have a large selection of 12V AGM deep cycle batteries, and they are often cheaper than what is available in the US.
From my limited battery shopping experiences in Europe, it seems they have a similar situation to Australia.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #25
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
The battery market in North America is much different from the rest of the world.

The popularity of golf carts over there has made 6V flooded lead/acid batteries very cheap and they are the best value for a boat's house bank.

In Australia, the choice of 6V batteries is limited and they are much more expensive. Perhaps people walk when they play golf. But - I find that we have a large selection of 12V AGM deep cycle batteries, and they are often cheaper than what is available in the US.
From my limited battery shopping experiences in Europe, it seems they have a similar situation to Australia.
In summary you need to start playing golf much more down there

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #26
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
In summary you need to start playing golf much more down there

L
No thanks. The last time I played, I broke two clubs in 9 holes.

And I prefer 12V AGM batteries anyway. Just install and forget.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I suspect there are more "golf cart batteries" in mobility scooters than actual golf carts.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Aussies play a lot of golf, many small towns have public courses, which there means owned by the town council (local government)

But yes maybe they walk more.

A lot of their 12V AGM batts are from China and seem very overpriced, and I suspect rarely last the 6-8 years brands like Lifeline, Enersys and Northstar can.

I'm sure the Euro market is big enough for them to have their own factories, the cost of shipping from China would be higher than the mfg cost.

Pretty sure Rolls/Surette is basically worldwide?

But yes, if you can find what batts are used for industrial deep-cycling applications, they'll likely do just fine.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:

Don't worry, I tried twice and for the sake of gardeners I choose to stop (non considering how much boring I thought it was, sorry for golf lovers this is only personal feeling).
When I see greens I think more about rugby

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #30
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:

Hi,

Well concluded I believe this is the case, though Finland is only 5.5 million people all over the country, so here all the consumption is small vs many countries. Those who play golf here want to walk because they also want better physical fitness at the same time so cheap 6v paters will not be in the future

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:33 AM   #31

City: Perth
Quote:

Steve, what brand did you purchase as I need to replace and move to AGM from 'wet'
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote