4D Battery Watering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if the one you purchased is defective?

Sure is. Look closely at the edge of the spout that is supposed to seal against a fairly hard rubber washer in the spout. If you tighten it enough to seal, the spout just pops off of the threads.

Attachments

• 20221203_113230.jpg
    20221203_113230.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 17
A half day of Googling, emails, and phone calls has failed to turn up any evidence that there is a battering watering system or vent valves available for these 4D batteries. Threaded caps, flush or not, seem to be the issue for all group types. I hope someone here can prove me wrong because I'm tired of adding water with my eyes just a few inches above the vents.

I solved this issue for my batteries and transmission fluid with a couple of $1 ketchup squirt bottles. Open the cap, put the nozzle in and squeeze. Great directional and flow control.

Mainstays 12 Ounce Plastic Squeeze Dispense Bottle https://www.walmart.com/ip/14964974

I solved this issue for my batteries and transmission fluid with a couple of $1 ketchup squirt bottles. Open the cap, put the nozzle in and squeeze. Great directional and flow control.

EXACTLY what I was doing. The difficulty and hazard of doing in where our batteries are located is what prompted the OP.

I'm pleased to report that, according to an off boat test, the PT filler jug shown above in the thread works great. Important to have the filler cap tight as the slightest air leakage will keep it from stopping at the proper level.

A general question......

Do non Li batteries suffer when left off the charger for prolonged periods?

I have 12 6V golf cart batteries for house bank. I use a 1 gallon pump-up garden sprayer with the spray tip removed. Using a small flashlight, I can fill them all in a few minutes with no spillage, using the wand shut off.

I use a 1 gallon pump-up garden sprayer with the spray tip removed.

Neat but, in my case, it's the checking of the level that is difficult. You really don't want to overfill and have to figure out how to get the now acid back out.

If you have to regularly add water to sealed batteries I would look at my charging system. It seems to me your batteries are being over charged. I good battery, even with removable caps certainly should not need water more than once a year. And not very much at that!

pete

Back
Top Bottom