30A vs 50A Twist Lock vs Smart Plugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are concerned about your old 30A plug overheating, there are two other options besides a Smartplug. One is to graft a 50A plug on to the boat end of a 30A (#10 wire) cord. By leaving a 30A plug on the shore end, you would still not draw more than 30A.

The other is to use a J1772 plug on the boat end. This is the plug used to recharge electrical vehicles, and is rated at up to 75A. I have not seen one of these on a boat, but when my old 30A plug and socket dies, I will probably go this route.

Actually if you want to go for a high amperage plug, you can use UL1686 pin and sleeve connectors and still be in compliance with ABYC E-11 and satisfy insurers. UL1686 are used by the millions in industry.

Although a J1772 may be a good connector, it certainly isn't within the scope of SAEs intended use.

Cant say that the contacts are larger on 50A cords.... proportionately or otherwise.

My main thrust is the 50A cord camp is that it stays secure to the pedestal or boat where 30s rarely do in my experience unless the lock rings are able to be used.
I have seen nearly as many 50A 125V boat ends burn up as I have 30A boat ends. The pedestal ends usually have less issues because folks often take the strain off a bit better and the 50A pedestal end is a slightly better design....

These are 50A:
144339208.jpg

147215197.jpg

152761187.jpg

I have seen nearly as many 50A 125V boat ends burn up as I have 30A boat ends. The pedestal ends usually have less issues because folks often take the strain off a bit better and the 50A pedestal end is a slightly better design....

That is not comforting...

Actually if you want to go for a high amperage plug, you can use UL1686 pin and sleeve connectors and still be in compliance with ABYC E-11 and satisfy insurers. UL1686 are used by the millions in industry.

Although a J1772 may be a good connector, it certainly isn't within the scope of SAEs intended use.

SAE is an organization that writes standards for vehicles. ABYC is the organization that writes standards for vessels. ABYC requires compliance with the requirements of TP127 or E11.
Ship Electrical Standard, TP 127 requires approval by UL, CSA, ETL or a few other testing agencies. Smartplug is approved by ETL. J1772 connectors are approved by UL and CSA.

SAE is an organization that writes standards for vehicles. ABYC is the organization that writes standards for vessels. ABYC requires compliance with the requirements of TP127 or E11.
Ship Electrical Standard, TP 127 requires approval by UL, CSA, ETL or a few other testing agencies. Smartplug is approved by ETL. J1772 connectors are approved by UL and CSA.

E-11 has specific NEMA and UL approved plugs for boat side and shore side connections. ABYC cuts and pastes the image right from the standards.

Smartplug is neither. Nor is a J1772.

That aside, I have a smart plug on my boat. I believe it is superior to the ABYC approved connection.

TP 127 is for ships.

Last edited:
Note those are 50a 125v plugs. Not 50a 125/250v plugs.

Thanks as I didn't look close...sure that 1st pic isn't a 125/250...it has that indent where the ground would be????

I wonder what CMS has to say about the 50A 125/250V ends.?

...sure I have seen a few melt...but not nearly as many as 30s. My own personal cords have definitely shown me a difference and not really a little one either.

I can see pushing the Smart Plugs ultimately..... but I would love to see a industry wide change...not so selective.

Last edited:

These are 50A:

Thanks CMS...
Have you disected 50A plugs and do they suffer the same shortcomming as the 30A... small conract area on conductors??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom