2x30A shore to 50A on board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
50A 125V 3 wire connections are an older and now uncommon standard. My boat was built with a pair of them rather than the more common 50A 125/250V 4 wire connection.

How is it that he only has a 50 amp 125v connection? What am I missing? can docks have both 240 and 125v or is his boat dropping one leg?

Everything is fine with your boat. You are lucky to have both connections, so you can connect to either 30 or 50 amp shorepower. 50 amp shorepower is almost always 240 volt. Your wiring is set for that to work.
In my case, my isolation transformer is 120V/50A model. It is an older one and this is how it came with the boat, when I purchased it. So, my only option is to use an adapter with the shorepower connection 240V/50A and reduce it to 120V/50A to accommodate my isolation transformer.(IT)
When I use 30A/120V shorepower, I still use an adapter to be able to connect to my 50A/120V inlet on my boat. Again, to please my IT.
The question was, do I want to connect two separate 30A pedestals with a paralleling adapter, to get more juice to my boat. There was a concern about the safety of this setup, so I dropped it.
In my case, if I keep my existing IT and stay at the slip where I have only 30A connections, I will need to build up a new inlet/wiring, to be able to bring in another 30A connection on board. This would require new inlet, IT, panel, sub panels, wiring.

Last edited:
Leoka, that description unconfuses me about the shore power but not about my own boat.
That is the subject of another thread that I will start once getting back onto the boat.

Leoka, that description unconfuses me about the shore power but not about my own boat.
That is the subject of another thread that I will start once getting back onto the boat.

You should certainly look into and understand your boat and the wiring on it.
This thread made me understand more about my own boat wiring. Particularly the safety warnings, when it comes to the setup between the pedestals and the inlets on my boat.
I am looking forward to read about your discoveries.

Back
Top Bottom