24 volt battery chargers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comodave

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Black Dog
Vessel Make
Formula 41PC
I am putting bow and stern thrusters on our Formula. I had ordered 2 Promariner 2420 battery chargers a couple of months ago. They have no estimate on when they will be in stock and able to ship. It looks like I can get a couple of Mastervolt 24 volt 20 amp chargers that are in stock. Is anyone familiar with the Mastervolt chargers? Are they any good?

My bow thruster is 24 volt also. What I used was a 2 bank 12 volt 6 amp battery charger.

16333915547503844447417942003961.jpg

You wire each battery as a bank. Yes it works. As far as a 6 amp charger, if you do the math (I did) the amp hour draw is almost nothing for a thruster. It's a large surge for less than half a minute. I don't it takes an hour to completely recharge the batteries. The system has worked perfectly for the last six years off my inverter.

Ted

Not a bad idea. I had not thought about that. I used a 15 amp battery charger for the thruster on the last boat. It was plenty big enough.

My bow thruster is 24 volt also. What I used was a 2 bank 12 volt 6 amp battery charger.

View attachment 121785

You wire each battery as a bank. Yes it works. As far as a 6 amp charger, if you do the math (I did) the amp hour draw is almost nothing for a thruster. It's a large surge for less than half a minute. I don't it takes an hour to completely recharge the batteries. The system has worked perfectly for the last six years off my inverter.

Ted

Do you let it run 24/7 or just turn it in as required?

Any issues with having the DC side connected while the AC is turned off?

Thanks

It looks like I can get a couple of Mastervolt 24 volt 20 amp chargers that are in stock. Is anyone familiar with the Mastervolt chargers? Are they any good?

Not first-hand, exactly, but our 15-year-old new-to-us ride came with one (24V) and its working OK. They seem to have a good on-line rep and with folks on cruisersforum.com, etc.

You might have a look at Victron Energy chargers, too... ditto good rep, no first-hand experience.

-Chris

Last edited:
Do you let it run 24/7 or just turn it in as required?

Any issues with having the DC side connected while the AC is turned off?

Thanks

It stays on 24/7. The unit stops charging completely when the batteries are full. The AC draw is in negligible when not changing.

If I were going to winterize the boat, I might be inclined to disconnect the batteries.

I imagine there would be a micro drain on the batteries if connected to the charger but not AC.

Ted

I am putting bow and stern thrusters on our Formula. It looks like I can get a couple of Mastervolt 24 volt 20 amp chargers that are in stock. Is anyone familiar with the Mastervolt chargers? Are they any good?

I have Mastervolt 24v chargers bow & stern for thrusters since 2015. As with any charger, check your battery manufacturer for recommended charging parameters & make sure the charger preset values match if you want to keep those batteries happy. AGM s work well in that application but they don’t last if overcharged.

View attachment 121785

Ted

You have to make sure the grounds are isolated in order for this to work, not all multi bank chargers have an isolated ground. If it's not isolated, you'll be direct-shorting the positive of the first battery to it's negative when you connect the second series connected 12V battery.

You have to make sure the grounds are isolated in order for this to work, not all multi bank chargers have an isolated ground. If it's not isolated, you'll be direct-shorting the positive of the first battery to it's negative when you connect the second series connected 12V battery.

Yes, that's why I looked for a battery charger that says you can use it on 24 systems.

16334648118791696221636161378382.jpg

Ted

I found 2 Mastervolt chargers that were in stock so I ordered them. They already shipped. I looked everywhere I could find to look for Promariner ones and nobody had them in stock. I like the Promariner but if I can’t get them, oh well. A couple of places told me they had no idea when they would be in stock, one place said not before March.

Sterling are identical to Pro Mariner and often considerably cheaper. I bought mine through RC (Maine Sail/Compass Marine). Unfortunately, Rod is offline currently-apparently health issues.

Back
Top Bottom