12v Outlets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rain Dog

Vessel Name
Rain Dog
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
I am about to start converting all the 12v outlets on my new boat. My thought was to go with Anderson Powerpoles. Given the investment, whatever I go with I will have to live with for years. Does anyone think there is a better option than Anderson Powerpole I should consider?

I am about to start converting all the 12v outlets on my new boat. My thought was to go with Anderson Powerpoles. Given the investment, whatever I go with I will have to live with for years. Does anyone think there is a better option than Anderson Powerpole I should consider?
What are you plugging in them? I have a small number of stainless steel cigarette lighter receptacles as the items I'm plugging in have that connection. Most of my electrical requirements are 120 VAC, but for things like cellphone chargers, the small adapter from cigarette lighter to USB makes more sense. Guess if you have higher amperage appliances like a 12 coffee pot, a better plug might be merited.

Ted

Unless I am on the wrong connector...the one I was looking at says...

-Accomodates 13 to 20 AWG, 20 amp maximum circuits.

13 AWG is not really big enough in my overkill mind for an "all around plug in"

I use these in some spots even though they are flexible...

Attachments

• 71VWSffORCL._AC_UL654_QL65_.jpg
    71VWSffORCL._AC_UL654_QL65_.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 55
What are you plugging in them?

A variety of items: 12v refrigerator, Ryobi battery charger, portable VHF charger, 12v fans, air pump, etc.

USB chargers I run off hard-wired USB outlets. All other 12v appliances will run off whatever I replace the "cigarette lighter" plugs with.

Unless I am on the wrong connector...the one I was looking at says...

-Accomodates 13 to 20 AWG, 20 amp maximum circuits.

13 AWG is not really big enough in my overkill mind for an "all around plug in"

I use these in some spots even though they are flexible...

If you are referring to the Anderson Powerpoles connectors, they go up to at least 4/0. I would most likely only use them up to 10 AWG.

Anderson Power Products SB350 SB Series 350 Amp Connector Kit

For routine stuff I'd use the Powerlet outlets and associated plugs, sometimes known as the BMW outlet as they first appeared on BMW motorcycles. There are much more reliable than cigarette lighter type, a little smaller, and can be had in different styles. Andersens are OK but not great as a panel mount in my opinion, better as inline.

A variety of items: 12v refrigerator, Ryobi battery charger, portable VHF charger, 12v fans, air pump, etc.

USB chargers I run off hard-wired USB outlets. All other 12v appliances will run off whatever I replace the "cigarette lighter" plugs with.
I have the Anderson Powerpole connectors with 10 gauge wire for my underwater scooter. They work quite well and are self wiping when you connect them. There is a hole between the 2 plugs to insert a lock pin. Several U/W scooter manufacturers have used the hole to permanently mount the connector. That might allow you to make a receptacle out of the connector pair.

Ted

I have the Anderson Powerpole connectors with 10 gauge wire for my underwater scooter. They work quite well and are self wiping when you connect them. There is a hole between the 2 plugs to insert a lock pin. Several U/W scooter manufacturers have used the hole to permanently mount the connector. That might allow you to make a receptacle out of the connector pair.

Ted

Anderson connectors are great. Keep in mind they come in various sizes, colors and can be configured to prevent reverse polarity connections.

If the OP picks a common connector, say grey, 2 pole, 50A units, they can be bought very cheaply in lot quantities on ebay/amazon/aliexpress etc

https://www.connector-techals.com.au/manufacturer/anderson-power-products

Mike

PS they also come with some useful accessories eg dust caps, mounting kits, pull handles etc.

Back
Top Bottom