used oil recycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"sorry but "bad news" does not help make a decision, that is opinion only. As I am looking for pros & cons and then will make my decision."

All engines are different but Detroit publishes their opinion with pictures of the resulting damage.

In a word DONT.

A centrifuge for fuel is common in the OTR truck industry.They work fine for dirty fuel, but on a boat a proper fuel tank with a deep sump works better , if there is lots of water in the fuel.

For engine lube oil a centrifuge might take lots of engine hours a year to make it cost effective..

Last edited:
These days, burning used motor oil with diesel will run one afoul of regulatory authorities unless oil meets EPA published criteria. What worked a few decades ago is not workable today.

Given the ease at which used oil can be legally disposed hard to grasp the intent here.

These days, burning used motor oil with diesel will run one afoul of regulatory authorities unless oil meets EPA published criteria. What worked a few decades ago is not workable today.

Given the ease at which used oil can be legally disposed hard to grasp the intent here.

Easy to dispose off if you are land or marina based with a car.
Near impossible to dispose of if cruising and never using a marina.

Still looking for facts, not opinions. A few years ago it was rumored that diesel should be outlawed.
I have googled opinions expressed and have yet to find negative reports other than opinions expressed by those that will not consider it.
If your opinion is supported show the link

Easy to dispose off if you are land or marina based with a car.
Near impossible to dispose of if cruising and never using a marina.

Simi
I hear where you are coming from when continually offshore in Australia or NZ. You are in a rare and lucky boating situation.

In NA when coastal cruising there is little difficulty getting rid of used oil per regs. Knowing many NA blue water cruisers, onboard used oil storage is the norm until a shore based drop tank is in sight.

I'm lucky, my annual oil changes amount to about 9 gallons This oil has proven to be easily disposed of in BC or AK at no fee, so far anyway. WA, CA and OR are now getting trickier to drop used oil at no charge. Mexico, heating oil or diesel dilution seemed common a decade ago.

BC is bigger than Texas.
My local drop zones have disappeared due to crack down on contaminated oils. I do not plan to drive an hour to get rid of used oil.

I assume you are saying the local car garages won't help? Is that correct?

I live in Gibsons and to date have never had a problem with the local garages especially when I do business with them. Even the local parts house takes the stuff.
Here the recycle depot will take it also but it must be in original containers, 4L jugs or an original 20L pail, not just a jerry can.

I also do not screw around putting solvents or water in the old oil. Garages can get old oil removed free or even paid to take away but it must be free of contaminants like water or solvents or then the oil is refused by the p/u guys and the garage has to pay to take it away.

I found the same with old antifreeze that I did have to pay my garage. He had to pay but the charge was not unreasonable.

BC used oil website

In an effort to get the discussion back on track. At the center of the map is a black dot, that is where I have been taking the oil. Notice that it is many KM to the next closest, one of which is the land fill recycle. The ones around the black dot have stopped taking it. Is this map up to date, I have no idea. Point is I am looking for alternatives, not a location that will take used oil.
BC Used oil.jpg

You ask for their thoughts, now you disparage them, Bye, Bye
Thanks for pointing that out. I revoke the request for thoughts or opinions. Please let us talk about facts.

Fact is many searches find users doing it with success. I have goggled in the negative, looking for bad things happening and have yet to find any facts on bad, just opinion.
What about bio diesel or the vegetable diesel, neither pure diesel yet being accepted/used. Where does diesel come from but the same place as engine oil. They are both processed from crude, as is gas.
DIY Boaters need to dispose of these oils. Can we look at options such as this.
With 300 gallon fuel tanks one would think that up to 30 gallons, 10% should not make any difference, but I want to cross the 'T's and dot the 'i' before the next oil change.

With 300 gallon fuel tanks one would think that up to 30 gallons, 10% should not make any difference, but I want to cross the 'T's and dot the 'i' before the next oil change.

You wouldn't have anything like 30 gallons to get rid of in your vessel
We only have 10 per change

Surely you'd be more like 3 gallons so 1% oil to fuel ratio.

You wouldn't have anything like 30 gallons to get rid of in your vessel
We only have 10 per change

Surely you'd be more like 3 gallons so 1% oil to fuel ratio.

agreed 3 gallons per engine x 2. 6+1 from trans. 7 gallons
I used 30 gallons for ease of calc. an insignificant amount either way blended in after being filtered through at least 5 micron filters. It does not 'seam' to be a problem, still looking for the proof of why not do it. No oil change planned until next fall, time to research and plan.

One of the local trucking company's use to blend in used motor oil at a 10% factor. It was a simple side tank that consist of two racor style fuel filters. They pulled the unit around 2000 stating modern high pressure diesel injection units would not warranty systems using diesel/oil blends. They were changing out from Big Cam 400's to mostly Detroit 60 series engines at that time. I know its not much help but thought I would toss it out there.
If it was up to me and I had a older low pressure diesel I would probably still not run it. I see no problem in running it in something that had a day blended tank, but tossing 7 gallons of oil into a 300 gallon diesel tank would have me concerned if it would stay blended or separate over time. I could see problems with a transfer pump and main injection pump if your pumping separated 15/40.

Yeah, even though I know an 855 will run on vomit and we'd be tipping 40 litres of relatively clear looking oil on top of 4000 litres of diesel I am not really prepared to chance it to get an extra 40 litres or $64 worth of "free" fuel.

Advance Auto Parts in the US takes old oil. Are there any up north or similar?

Advance Auto Parts in the US takes old oil. Are there any up north or similar?

I am at 43rd parallel and that is where i take my oil. But im nowhere near BC. They ask now exactly what is in the container. AF is a big no-no. Interestingly, NY says ok to dump AF in the sewer system, at least for personal use. Not the drainage system though.

If you go that route I think I would add the oil while at the refueling dock so the new fuel will help mix the oil into the diesel in the tank.

I looked up the BC Recycling page up and I see a telephone number that you could call
1-800-667-4321.

That may be of more help than a webpage that is not always up to date. If already done then just ignore.

A commercial fuel dock should take your oil. Commercial boats often change their oil at a fuel dock. The docks have a pump with a long line that can pump directly out of the engine. But you'd need to buy your new oil from them.

A commercial fuel dock should take your oil. Commercial boats often change their oil at a fuel dock. The docks have a pump with a long line that can pump directly out of the engine. But you'd need to buy your new oil from them.

I used to do my oil changes at the Chevron barge in Coal Harbour (downtown Vancouver). But then they were not the last remaining fuel barge. Now, they are so busy with commercial fueling that they won't have pleasure boats occupying the sides of the barge. Their suction hose doesn't reach to the small attached float at the end of the barge where pleasure boats must tie.
I now do my own with a vacuum pump and dispose of my oil at the YC or at the auto parts store in Ganges.

The instruction sheet for my Floscan specifically advises against using used oil in the fuel due to likelihood of obscuring the scanning optics. I take my used oil to any local oil change facility where it is accepted without question. I poured a few gallons of it into the nearly full tanks of my trawler (no Floscan installed) back in the day - in was running 2-micron filters in the Racors to my 120 Lehmans. No issues with smoke or anything else. I am not about to do that with this 315 HP 6LPA Yanmar sucking diesel at 8-9 GPH (pushing over twice that through the system when counting the return fuel), even with 2-micron filters.

There are so many variables in this discussion it becomes a bit obscure what is acceptable and what is not. There is not one simple answer. I commend some of you using bypass filtration, special 1 or two micron oil and fuel filters and Lepke centrifuging his used oil and coming up with a clear and pretty clean product to mix with diesel for a few reasons, one of the biggest being to get rid of it. So for facts. I haven’t seen anyone comment on the contaminants in used engine oil like acids, heavy metals, and a list of toxic compounds from combustion. Those corrosive compounds are one of the reasons for changing oil at regular intervals.

Now for a bit more opinion. I doubt you can get those compounds out of used engine oil by any of the methods mentioned. Depending on the cleanliness of the used oil to start with, I would be very cautious. Putting it into an older Cummins or Detroit unit injector system or any old low pressure injectors for that matter will probably not cause much harm. I would be very leery of doing it on a very finicky and expensive newer common rail system because of the potential for corrosion from that used oil sitting in the precise injector components. Now if you saved up your used oil and clean it and when under way on a long trip add it in knowing that tank of fuel will be burned and replaced with clean diesel before the engine gets parked for another year, might make a difference.

I have found that auto repair shops will take used oil. Some may charge a buck a gallon, but it is worth that to get rid of it.

There are so many variables in this discussion it becomes a bit obscure what is acceptable and what is not. There is not one simple answer. I commend some of you using bypass filtration, special 1 or two micron oil and fuel filters and Lepke centrifuging his used oil and coming up with a clear and pretty clean product to mix with diesel for a few reasons, one of the biggest being to get rid of it. So for facts. I haven’t seen anyone comment on the contaminants in used engine oil like acids, heavy metals, and a list of toxic compounds from combustion. Those corrosive compounds are one of the reasons for changing oil at regular intervals.

Now for a bit more opinion. I doubt you can get those compounds out of used engine oil by any of the methods mentioned. Depending on the cleanliness of the used oil to start with, I would be very cautious. Putting it into an older Cummins or Detroit unit injector system or any old low pressure injectors for that matter will probably not cause much harm. I would be very leery of doing it on a very finicky and expensive newer common rail system because of the potential for corrosion from that used oil sitting in the precise injector components. Now if you saved up your used oil and clean it and when under way on a long trip add it in knowing that tank of fuel will be burned and replaced with clean diesel before the engine gets parked for another year, might make a difference.

I had to look this up. Common rail and standard IP fired injectors use the same max psi of around 30,000psi at WOT. The common rail holds a low psi of 8500 to 10,000psi at low idle where standard injectors with mechanical IP can drop as low as 2500 psi. If an engine has an electric pump, or a pump not using engine rpm to build pressure, then it maintains up to 30,000 psi or something close.

One thing I didn't know was that common rail isn't a new idea. It's been used since at least the '20s. The fuel pump builds the fuel pressure and a secondary system trip the injectors. Some systems use the camshaft. I think Detroits use a similar system. I'm mainly familiar with the older automotive style from back in my auto tech days. Like Mercedes, VW, Cummins in Dodge trucks. They all used mechanical IPs and the injectors pop open to spray fuel above a certain psi. Once the engine builds speed the injectors are held open further and longer by the building psi to increase fuel flow into the combustion chamber. As simple as it seems, it all has to be balanced and calibrated to run at it's peak.

How Clean Is Your Fuel?

https://polarislabs.com/how-clean-is-your-fuel/

I am sure most have a 2 micron filter to clean the fresh from pump diesel. Or the fuel sitting in the tank growing micro-organisms.

Diesel fuel is made from crude oil. (so is motor oil.)
Diesel fuel is refined from crude oil at petroleum refineries. U.S. petroleum refineries produce an average of 11 to 12 gallons of diesel fuel from each 42-gallon (U.S.) barrel of crude oil.

Mixing Used Motor Oil with Diesel Fuel
The process of mixing used motor oil with diesel fuel is actually very simple. The first thing you need to consider is the cleanliness of the used oil you want to use. Be sure that it is stored in a clean container, and closely observe the oil for signs of water and antifreeze. Neither of these liquids will mix with the oil, so they should be very visible to the naked eye. If your oil is contaminated with either and any type of engine rust, you will not be able to use it. Once you have determined that you are using a generally uncontaminated supply of used oil, you need to filter it. An ordinary paint filtering system works well. Use a large (10 to 20 gallons) bucket, and slowly pour the oil into it. The filtering system will remove most of the impurities and smooth out the texture of the oil. Now you are ready to mix your oil with the diesel fuel. The first time you attempt to use oil in your vehicle, mix only about 10 percent oil with about 90 percent diesel fuel. The limit to how much oil your vehicle can comfortably run on will grow, but you need to wean it to the new fuel mixture. You can listen to the engine and check the smoke coming out of the tailpipe to determine how your vehicle is handling the transition. If the engine is a good deal louder than usual, making clanking sounds or producing a black exhaust, then you need to dial down the amount of oil you are using. Gradually up the oil content to an 80/20 mixture. Monitor your vehicle’s performance, as every engine adjusts differently. Many automobiles are capable of running mixtures all the way up to 50/50 after a great deal of progression. Do some research on your vehicle to see how other owners have fared with running oil in their engines. The sites listed in the Resources and References sections of this article have forums where you can interact with other drivers who are operating with oil/diesel mixtures. You results may not always match theirs, but it gives you a good template of what to expect in terms of performance. If you find that your vehicle is not running as efficiently, speed or power is degenerating or the engine is running loudly and burning dirty exhaust, you need to reevaluate your mixture.

Thanks for all the opinions. It appears that whether done in a plant somewhere or DIY, recycling used oil will become the norm for as long as we continue to use fossil fuels.

CRD's, Hartland Landfill takes used antifreeze, oil and filters. Free.

Recycling used oil fiasco in BC is fueled by BC Liberal's decision to privatize recycling in BC:
These entities IMO, operate a legal monopoly answerable to themselves, paid for by consumers!
Used oil falls to BC Used Oil Management Association.
Paper and packaging falls to MMBC is governed by Retail Council of Canada, Food and Consumer Products of Canada, Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers, Canadian Restaurant and Food Services Association, Loblaw Companies Limited, Overwaitea Food Group, Tim Hortons and McCain Foods.
The fox is minding the chickens...

In the Bahamas it was common practice to have a 55gal drum filled with sand for filtering used engine oil. Pour it in the top and it would eventually drip out a hole in the bottom. It came out looking brand new and they used it in everything. I passed.

The problem with used oil as fuel may not be particles , although oil is changed to get rid of the fines , that are too small for the filter to remove.

The problem might be the chemical 15 to 20% of the oil , anti foam ,anti rust , viscosity enhancer etc,that are in modern oils along with acids from combustion the oil didn't get.

I ran a Ford F250 diesel for years on 85% used motor oil mixed with 15% gasoline filtered to 0.5 microns. This did shorten the life of the engine but by that time it was paid for many times over with fuel savings. Other side effects were more exhaust smoke and harder starting but it ran quieter and the pumps seemed to last longer. When fuel prices go up these will just be engineering problems to design away.

I've run my F-250, 7.3 on 10:1 diesel and motor oil. Mainly to get rid of excess oil. Oil was centrifuged to below 1 micron and gave me no starting or other problems. I have 300,000 on the injectors now.

Yes, we can all change our oil.
Having it changed 'professional' has an added advantage is they tote off the used oil.

Back
Top Bottom