River Dunes, Grace Harbor Marina Oriental NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Di Mare
Vessel Make
Mainship 34t
$3.84 a gal over the weekend.

A very good friend of mine has purchased a lot in River Dunes & plans on retiring there. Is anyone intimately familiar with this area? How far does one have to travel from RD to get to open water?

it is about 20 miles or so to* the ocean, the inlet by moore head city??

SeaHorse II wrote:
A very good friend of mine has purchased a lot in River Dunes & plans on retiring there. Is anyone intimately familiar with this area? How far does one have to travel from RD to get to open water?
*There are only three or four families living there full time at present.* It has been that way for the last several years, since it's inception.* There are several families that come in for a week or so every other month, but most have someone on their staff provision the house before they show up.

So your friend will be by him self*except for the folks that stay on their boats there.*It's several miles to town but for the most part Oriental is a sleepy little sailing community.* It is said that there are more sailboats there than people.* I believe the numbers are 2,700 to 875 (summer) less in winter.

The entrance to Adams Creek is at MM 185, Oriental is at 182, River Dunes is a couple of miles from the 175 MM up Broad Creek.* From MM185 the Beaufort Inlet is about 22 miles.* David is correct at about 35 total miles.

-- Edited by JD on Thursday 2nd of June 2011 12:01:20 PM

Oprah Owns most of the riverfront lots. Pretty bad investment if you ask me. The area was planned at the height of the housing boom, but since then has turned into quite a folly. Nearly every town council meeting spends some time dealing with River Dunes backing off of its grand plan to turn it into the *NEW* Fairfield Harbor or dealing with some corner that was cut (water and sewer) during its slow development plan it is on now. It certainly has potential. Had the market not gone south, I'd be singing a different tune, but right now, it's a huge piece of land with roads and very few houses.

Back
Top Bottom