Fuel Shock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Took on 213.9 gallons of diesel fuel today in San Diego @ $6.14 a gallon.

Considering it is California, I aM surprised it is so low.

Took on 4000 litres (1056 us gallons ) from a fuel bunkering boat a couple of days ago at $7.56/gallon or $2/litre.
$8.31/gallon at the next cheapest fuel dock

Same time last year it was $1.34/litre or $5.06/gallon

Our fuel dock has diesel for 5.99 per gallon. They have the total price taped over because it doesn’t go high enough so they calculate the total cost at the cash register.

$5.08 in Cordova which I though was pretty good, all things considered. That was the 2000+ gal price. Still crazy high and quite a painful fill-up.

$5.08 in Cordova which I though was pretty good, all things considered. That was the 2000+ gal price. Still crazy high and quite a painful fill-up.

How much fuel did you have onboard prior to the fill up?

I do hope you dont have to go to the fuel dock often.

Greetings,
"... 213.9 gallons of diesel fuel today in San Diego @ $6.14 a gallon." That's only $1313.35. Probably less than a new heat exchanger for your Volvo IF you can find one. It's all relative.

Took on 213.9 gallons of diesel fuel today in San Diego @ $6.14 a gallon.
I just took on 200g diesel in Ensenada via barrels from the local Pemex station, around $4.25/gal. Breakfast this morning was truly outstanding shrimp tacos - around $7 for my wife and I. Might be worth the trip for you.

Peter

Greetings,
"... 213.9 gallons of diesel fuel today in San Diego @ $6.14 a gallon." That's only $1313.35. Probably less than a new heat exchanger for your Volvo IF you can find one. It's all relative.

A GOOD radiator shop, near a marine area, can rebuild and pressure test, the heat exchanger.

I'm anticipating gasoline/diesel exceeding $10 a gallon in California. :eek: Fortunately, have nearly 300 gallons of diesel purchased a while back. Good for more than 200 hours of boating.

Last edited:
When I bought my first boat, the N46, I filled up the fuel tanks in NY for the trip to Miami. At the time, with a little research, I discovered if I had held off buying fuel until I crossed out of NY, I could have saved a significant amount of money. NY tacked on lots of taxes to marine fuel.
I am not sure how NY and Calif compare now in added taxes on fuel but I suspect Calif is leading the race.

When I bought my first boat, the N46, I filled up the fuel tanks in NY for the trip to Miami. At the time, with a little research, I discovered if I had held off buying fuel until I crossed out of NY, I could have saved a significant amount of money. NY tacked on lots of taxes to marine fuel.
I am not sure how NY and Calif compare now in added taxes on fuel but I suspect Calif is leading the race.

actually in California red dye diesel which is meant for off road use is not taxed. although when its gets to the marine dock its gets a premium added specially in a non commercial dock.

red dye diesel on a land station is the cheapest you can get.

I’ll be buying off road diesel at my local gas station that offers it. I have 2- fifteen gallon portable containers and a transfer pump. My marina doesn’t sell diesel anyway. 30 gallons gets me two full days of cruising.

NY does tax marine fuel, but unless I've lost my mind, it's a lower tax rate than road fuel. Local taxes vary as well, so depending on cheap vs expensive fuel docks and what area of the state you're in the price can vary quite a bit.

Off road diesel, including for marine use, isn’t subject to road taxes, but typically IS subject to sales tax and possible other taxes. So it’s taxed less, but usually not tax free.

It’s interesting to me that fuel bought in Alaska isn’t dyed, and I suspect that’s because it’s not taxed any differently than road fuel. Perhaps some of our former and present AK residents can shed light on this?

$6 in Warwick cove this afternoon

It's renewable diesel. They start with non-petroleum oils and chemically convert it into diesel. It's cleaner, higher octane, and lower density so none of the problems biodiesel had. It's price parity with dino-diesel now too.

The diesel performance forums all seem to love it but I haven't found any boaters that have tried it yet. I've seen studies from all over the world using it in everything from semi's to buses to tractors and no issues reported. Hoping to hear from a boater though, especially one with and older diesel.

Next question, does it mix with well with the dinosaur stuff or must one start with cleaned tank??

For the willing, Ensenada price is $4.25.

Will it mix well the fuel remaining in the tank?

I just drove south through Washington, Oregon, and California buying diesel (for the truck) along the way. Paid more in Oregon than California, and that is the first time that has ever happened. Usually Oregon is $1 less.

In Ketchikan a couple of days ago, it was around $5.60 at a marine pump, and $5.51 in the Safeway service station. When I get back up there in a couple of weeks I'll need about 200 gallons. I might look ahead to Wrangell or Petersburg, can probably even make Juneau if it was much cheaper.

Fuel Price

We’re all paying the price for stopping the short, bald Hitler named Putin. (Nothing wrong with being short or bald.). Glory to the patriots in Ukraine and throughout the world who are supporting Ukraine, and oh by the way, Freedom, Democracy, and Freedom of the Seas. This time will pass, but this moment in history will live forever in the struggle for the right of free men and women to have a government that exists according to the consent of the people. Let’s slow down, use fuel of all kinds with discretion, and work for freedom, democracy and peace.

Bio-diesel was studied as a reserve for emergency electric generators for electric utilities. A major research paper was available on line reporting the results, and storage did not work as well with bio-diesel as for mineral oil diesel. The study also considered biocide effectiveness, and some specific biocides were more effective than others. That was 4+ years ago. I recommend finding that or other newer studies before filling up a tank that might experience long term storage. On the plus side, bio diesel smells like French fries. Got ketchup?

Back
Top Bottom