Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #1

Trailerable Trawler

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to the trawler scene. *The more I read about trawlers, the more the wife and I want one. *We have owned our 22 Sea Ray Sundancer for 3 years now and feel it's time to upgrade. *

We have been boating for 3 years now in the Palm Beach to Stuart area. *Our boating consists of cruising the ICW and stopping at restaraunts, sandbars, and offshore fishing in 2 feet or less seas. *We would also like to go to the Bahamas, and the FL Keys. *Occasional overnight or two.

I'm looking for the biggist trawler that can be trailered. *Here in Florida, DOT/Police don't go after the 11 ft beam boats on trailers on the roads. *Please don't push the law on this subject. * I'm a DIY type of guy and like to keep my toys close by so I can keep up with the maintenance. *I don't trust others to do maintenace, etc... I know keeping the boat at a slip would be ALOT easier but I can't afford paying 3-500 bucks. *Besides, I'd rather use the slip fee for fuel.

Must haves:

Single Engine (prefer diesel), gen set, a/c, cabin, displacement, or semi-displacement hull, wife wants a nice cozy cabin.*

So far we BOTH like the MAINSHIP 30 PILOT. *Not sure how high it would be on a custom trailer though. *Don't want to go over 13' high. *Anyone ever trailer this boat? *

Not sure what else I need to detail to get the most out of this forum. *Any help in this subject would be greatly appreciated. *Hope to learn from you all and joine the trawler family. *Thanks!!

Luis
lmannyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
RE: Trailerable Trawler

Look at Ranger Tugs, C Dory, and the mainship pilots (which you already mentioned). All 3 great boats. you may also want to look at some of the small power catamarans. Their fuel economy, even though they typically have 2 small outboards, can often very much rival that of a trawler.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Trailerable Trawler

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
Look at Ranger Tugs, C Dory, and the mainship pilots (which you already mentioned). All 3 great boats. you may also want to look at some of the small power catamarans. Their fuel economy, even though they typically have 2 small outboards, can often very much rival that of a trawler.
*Tony, you forgot to mention Roseborough boats.* They have a great trailerable 25' that can use an outboard or even diesel stern drive for power.* Lot of space, covered aftdeck, room for dinghy on the roof.* Neat boat.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 1st of August 2011 07:40:32 AM
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

And of course there are the Nimble boats.

http://www.nimbleboat.net/

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:06 AM   #5
FF
Guru

Trailerable Trawler

The C u t w a t e r is the newest of the bunch www.c u t w a t e r boats.com

De space , the spelling prude program finds the word inside the boats name objectionable.

All of these are very compact inside , but have good functionality.

High speed cruising is questionable on a trailer boat as the highway at 65 is far cheaper than running on her own bottom.

Once you are at the cruising area 6K should do fine.

Slow trailer boats are cheap used , so a $25K budget should work, a new boat will be over $150K.

Just running back and forth to your launch spot might be OK as county sheriffs in FL are elected and their deputies are reluctant to ticket any voting local.

Running any distance and relying on non enforcement can get pricy.

A Flat bed with a wide load permit might be the only way to recover the boat and trailer from the impound lot.

Most marinas have a VERY low rate for a boat kept in the yard and owner launched.

A bit harder to do long term projects , but PM takes no extra effort.

-- Edited by FF on Monday 1st of August 2011 04:09:25 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #6

Anyone trailered a Mainship pilot 30? Does anyone know the height from keel to top of hard top?

Keep the responses coming thanks!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Guru

Trailerable Trawler

Quote:
lmannyr wrote:
Anyone trailered a Mainship pilot 30? Does anyone know the height from keel to top of hard top?

Keep the responses coming thanks!!!!
*You should join the Mainship owners group in Yahoo and ask that question. There are many pilot 30 owners and I'd bet someone has trailered.

mainship-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Jay

-- Edited by jleonard on Monday 1st of August 2011 08:15:45 AM
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Although you didn't mention your budget on this, my favorite choice with those criteria would be the trailerable MotorCat 30. Super shallow draft, super economical, comfortable, fun, mucho space and easy pulling behind. On top of that, it's very stable and good in high seas. Bahamas no problem. Not cheap, but retains its value very well.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Trailering a Mainship Pilot on a regular basis would likely be more expensive than the expenses you are trying to dodge. The boat has a 10'8" beam. Well beyond the legal limit. They are also 10,000 pounds bone dry. Unless you already have a tow vehicle, you would need a pretty substantial one to tow it. I know of nobody that actively trailers one. They are moved over the road by professionals.

To answer your other questions, I like all of the above suggestions. I favor the TomCat 26. My only issue is that they have an inside steering station only which does not bode well in Florida heat but they are fast and efficient and roomy. The Rosboroughs would be my second choice. Again, most of these to combine space have inside steering stations. You will obviously not have a flybridge on a boat like this so if you have an outside steering station then you will be sacrificing interior space to it. Rangers are a little closer to a "true trawler design"...whatever that means to you and they are decent fun little boats. All of these boats are not necessarily cheap but you should be able to find an affordable used one. Good luck!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065

When I retired 13 years ago, we moved up from a C-Dory 22 Cruiser to a 26-foot Bounty (somewhat like a SeaSport but built to a higher level of design/quality, particularly the interior) with a 260hp Volvo diesel duo-prop sterndrive.*

We wanted the nicest seriously functional with most creature comforts boat one could reasonably tow (we live in Utah).* She weighs nearly 12K lb on the trailer loaded up for a summer's cruise of SE Alaska, and we've towed her some 60,000 miles in mountainous country with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel pickup - 1 ton is certainly not required.

We* have just about every creature comfort you could cram into a 26 x 8.5 boat, even a watermaker.* The only one we're missing is a diesel heater.*

On the water we've traveled some 35,000 nm in almost 1200 days of cruising, primarily in BC and SE Alaska, and some on Lake Powell. 4533 engine hours so far on this boat.* She gets 4-5 nmpg at our slow cruise speed, 6-6.5 knots.* 1.75 nmpg at 18 knots.

You could have something similar in a SeaSport.* If I were starting over again with the same trailerable-without-a-permit objective, I'd choose a Ranger 27.

Posted from Auke Bay (Juneau), eighth summer of the last nine up here.
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #11

Woe!! From the few videos and information we found online, we liked the motorcat 30. It has two strikes against it though. One, there aren't many for sale. This could be because their owners love 'em and keep 'em. I don't know. Two, the deck isn't fishy with the molded in seats and limited space. Otherwise, it's fuel efficient, has a nice interior, love the bow steps/ramp, full displacement cat is gonna be a much nicer ride than my planing 22ft sundacer.

We like the downeast style. I'll have to ask on the Mainship owners group ad suggested above for trailering.

Still open to ideas of non flybridge/sunbridge efficient hulls with beams up to 11 ft and no more than 15k Dry to trailer. Typing Downeast in yachtworld bring up a whole list I need to look at.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #12

Thought those of you that live in FL would like to see my inquiry to FDOT.

What will an Annual towing permit cost for a 11' 3" wide boat towing with my personal vehicle to the local boat ramp for recreational purposes. NOT commercial. Not exceeding weight limits. Located in port st. lucie, fl and launching boat in Palm City, FL.

thanks

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thank you for your inquiry.

The fee for a Blanket Permit to tow a boat with width over 10 ft 0 in up to 12 ft 0 in is $330 for a 12-month period. The fee is based on size and not use.

One-time (one-way) single-use Trip Permits are available for $10 each based on your width. Please note that travel south of Florida City (going to the Florida Keys) will require a Trip Permit, regardless of issuance of a Blanket Permit.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #13

What do you think of BHM boats?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

BHM were/are nice boats. The molds are now being built by Atlantic boats (I think). The BHM 32 is a large boat for its size. They were popular as lobster boats ,tuna boats and yachts. Usually several on YW. The 36 and the 28 are popular also. Carey on this forum has a nice 36.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #15

New boat on the market is the trailerable aluminum North Westerner 2510. It's a 26' semi-displacement boat with a great interior. Comfy for the ladies, practical for fishing and cruising and designed for the owner to be able to do most (or all) of the maintenance.

Jonathan Millenaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #16

Any thing over 8 and 1/2 will require flags and banners announcing wide load as well as a permit, either annual or one time, at least that is what I was led to believe. A 1 ton dulley should handle most anything you would care to tow and enable you to do it safely and within the law. Pulling is one thing, but stopping is another. Also consider the type of ramp you will be using for haul out. May want to go 4 wheel drive as well.
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #17

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
Getting it on and off the trailer is another thing, Mine is sitting on a trailer now but no way could i ever back far ennough to float it off the trailer, It would be an extreen amout of trailer neck making it not pratical.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
Getting it on and off the trailer is another thing, Mine is sitting on a trailer now but no way could i ever back far ennough to float it off the trailer, It would be an extreen amout of trailer neck making it not pratical.
Have you considered a sliding/extending trailer tongue?
Extend a hitch boat and sailboat trailer hitch extensions
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
lmannyr, Take a look at the Ranger R31. It is trailerable. It has only a 10 foot beam and it has a folding flybridge! I love having a flybridge here in Florida.
R-31 | Rangertugs
If you're ever in West Palm Beach, please visit my store. I think you'll like it. It's at 207 Sixth Street just half a block from the ICW.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
We've only used 3 different ramps so far, but have no trouble getting Big Duck (28') off/on the trailer.

The hitch extension thing doesn't come in a 2 5/16" ball version, suggesting it wouldn't handle my 700# tongue weight.
Attached Thumbnails
VAN-DUCK.jpg  
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote