Old 12-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #1
FF
Guru

Pocket Cruiser

Some months ago I started liiking for a Pocket Cruiser, a trailerable boat to drag to all the places behind a lovck, un reachable from the sea.

Would also plan on running the Inside Passage to AK, so the boat needs enough volume for extended use.

Many great sugestions were made ,

Here is one I found on the web , but havent yet seen .

www.caledonboatworks.com/

Anyone familiar with it?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: Pocket Cruiser

One of those is on the hard near where our boat is stored for the winter. Good looking boat. Did not get a chance to peer inside before she was covered.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Very nice. Doesn't look cheap!!! I think my favorite in that range is still the C-dory Tom Cat.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Pocket Cruiser

We have a lot of trailer able 25 to 30 ft boats in the Puget Sound area as most of the know name brand are build here.* Also Everett has a very popular 16 lane boat ramp.* I been sort of looking and playing with the idea of pulling a 20+ ft boat, so I been looking at them.* I would prefer an inboard/outboard over an out board so the stern and engine can be completely enclosed protected.** Also it has to a very deep V hull and low profile.*

We trailer our 28 ft Reinel behind a motor home for several years.* We found many time the boat to big for some of the rivers/lakes and even the Puget Sound.* If you are planning on trailer to a location and then dump it in, motor around and *come back to sleep eat at the RV it does not have to be very big.* Heck we have taken our 19 ft run about to many places in the PNW, and its a lot cheaper to tow.* Anyway, I/O, deep V, low profile and completely protect/enclosed, about 20 ft that can get up and scoot.
True Funny Story.

When we first bought the 58 ft, and I found PMM*I was really a green newbie.* There was a discussion of Pocket Boats/Trawler, so I ask what is a pocket and why do they call them a pocket.* I think FF or one of the old guys says, Its because their little engine make a pok pok sound.* **Well, I took it hook line and sinker!* They played me for a couple of days on that one.*

That when I figure out the FF had a sense of humor.
-- Edited by Phil Fill on Saturday 11th of December 2010 09:48:22 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Saturday 11th of December 2010 09:50:14 AM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

It's hard to imagine a better tow-able cruiser line than C-Dory, but I fell in love with Minor Offshore Boats at while in Europe these last three years. *I tried to post a pic here, but won't upload. *The new 25 is a cozy, sea-worthy inboard alternative, though a bit deeper in the water than the Dory's.

www.minoroffshore.fi
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #6

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse

take a look at some of Devlins boats

http://www.devlinboat.com/

got several choices that are ' trailerable'

You can charter several models to try out before you buy.

I saw a 30' for sale not too long ago with pretty low hrs for around 50k.

He does pretty nice work
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
FF
Guru

Pocket Cruiser

Size , on the trailer is our big hassle.

We are rebuilding a 1956 Flxible VL 100 bus conversion (330hp 1200ft lbs torque and auto tranny).

The coach is 35 ft long and the LAW sez 65 ft is as long as we can be , end to end , counting the outboard or out-drive.

This presents a problem for the "I think my favorite in that range is still the C-dory Tom Cat."as with two hulls to turn and not hit the rear of the coach, the trailer has to be about 32 ft.

Even as close coupled as we dare over 27ft will be hard.

www.minoroffshore.fi

Was at a local dealer , its OK , but we will not accept the 40% loss on a new boat , a used boat makes more sense for an OK round trip.

WE will run the inside passage to AK , so return nightly to the coach is out , we need something big enough to be aboard for a month or more.

http://www.devlinboat.com/

Stich and glue is a great amateur method of creating a one of. , but for similar effort I work in Airex and the "wooden boat" at reasle time bugaboo doesnt come up.

We have thought about* scaling back our "box boat" from 39* to 27 and adding a foot of beam to get to 8ft 6 , and having a hull built in Aluminum , just doing the interior , but used* is always cheaper than brand new , even if I do all the work.

Keep up the ideas!!

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 12th of December 2010 07:14:00 AM

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 12th of December 2010 07:15:05 AM
Old 12-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

I dont know about FF but I am looking for something in the early 80 late 90 so they are not so expensive.* The C Dory and Rangers are relatively new and about 100+ grand.**A lot of boats tow Grade Whites as they are stable and have a cuddy cabin, but are mostly OB.** If I do buy something I want something that we can afford to cut/loose, bang around , go a ground, *not worry about and the total around trip is a break even.** Older hard top Glasply look interesting?***

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Pocket Cruiser

Hi FF,

We've been cruising the Inside Passage through BC and SE Alaska in trailerable boats since 1993, several weeks to 3.5 months at a time.*

We started with a C-Dory 22 cruiser, a fuel efficient, very seaworthy, and tremendously well laid-out tiny cruiser for a couple.* It was a bit on the spartan side, but it sure worked, including a two-month SE AK cruise.* For small light cheap and seaworthy, but modest creature comforts, it's excellent.*

Another small alternative that could fit behind your big rig is the C-Dory Venture 23.* It's a little heavier than the 22 cruiser, rides better in the chop, and has a nicer interior, including insulation to reduce condensation.* Add a Webasto or Espar heater, and it could be a fine choice for SE AK.

The C-Dory 25 Cruiser or Venture 26 are more spacious and well laid out outboard cruisers, but may require a shorter land yacht.* The Tom Cat is particularly nice if you want to be able to go fast (25+ knot cruise).

We upgraded 12 years ago to our Bounty 257 (externally similar to a Sea Sport 26 or 27 Navigator, but with a nicer interior).* She has a Volvo diesel with Duo-Prop I/O.* Heavy deep-V, smooth ride, lots more creature comforts.* Max cruise speed about 18 knots, at 1.75 nmpg, or comfortable and relaxing slow cruise at 6+ knots, 4.5 nmpg.* The I/O is its most vulnerable part, and requires religious regular maintenance, but our engine has 4300 hours on it so far, and seems to have many more to go.

I like the diesel I/O over outboards for fuel efficiency in a heavy comfortable boat, and the additional creature comforts like easy heat and hot water, but a carefully thought out and equipped outboard cruiser could be very nice too.*

For a detailed exposition on the choices tradeoffs and equipping of trailerable cruisers for the PNW, you might take a peek at our book, "Cruising In a Big Way", found on Lulu.com, Amazon, or iPad bookstore.* You can get it hard copy, or download in pdf format (which also works on the Kindle).

-- Edited by RCook on Sunday 12th of December 2010 10:30:54 AM
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

IMHO, this is an excellent post. Informative, entertaining, concise and well written.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
Guru

Thanks, Walt!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Right in there with the boats R Cook suggests is Osprey. I've been on several and am impressed with the quality and their big sea capability. My brother has the 30 Osprey which went on its own bottom from Seattle to SE AK the past two years.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Hi Tom,
Going to SE Alaska on "ones own bottom" is not that big a deal. When I was a teenager in Seattle I remember a magazine presentation called "with the outboarders" that was dedicated exclusively to cruising to SE in 17 to 19' (typ) outboard cruisers. Most were powered by 30 and 35hp Johnsonrude twins. I don't think the 40 was out yet.
I can't relate to all this talk about the Sea Dory and the Osprey being so sea worthy.
I'd say they were about average. There are quite a few Sea Dories here in SE but I think it's their styling that attracts people to them. They are without a doubt very good looking boats. With a Banks dory one can identify the features that make them sea worthy. I'm not saying they are bad boats*** ....just over rated.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
FF
Guru

Pocket Cruiser

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989...ontreal/Canada

This looks like a real possibility , cheap and mostly interior, BUT with the 90 hp Perkins its maybe a 12K boat.

So a question is a 12K cruise OK for such a small boat to do the inside passage to AK?

A big* boat can simply slug it out (if needed) , I was thinking 18K in a tiny boat would be better .

Since a bunch of folks live there and have made the run, opinions folks?

It should have 200 miles of range fairly easy.

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 03:27:41 PM
Old 12-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
Guru

Pocket Cruiser

We used to travel at 18 knots, but now run about 6.5 knots most of the time.* It's quieter and less tiring, we don't have to stare unceasingly at the water ahead looking to avoid floating wood etc, we enjoy the scenery and critters more, and we get almost three times the fuel economy.** When the chop gets up to 3-4 feet, sometimes we can travel much more comfortably by cranking her up to a slow plane, 13-15 knots.* Depends on the situation, wind vs tidal current, direction of travel, etc.* Nice to have the choice of speeds.

We typically travel 2000-2600 NM per summer, in 2.5-3 months.* Enough to do a fine job of either BC or SE AK, but not both in the same summer.

With 110 gallons of diesel our safe range staying at 6.5 most of the time is 250-300+ NM.* I'd guess the Rosborough would do as well or better, but not at 12 knots.** At that size, efficient speed would be 6 knots.* I don't think it would plane very well on 90hp - and it might bust a gut trying to maintain 12 knots.

If you want cheap and fuel efficient, even at 18 knots, the CD 22 Cruiser or CD Venture 23 are probably the ultimate.* If those are too tiny, the various 25-27 footers can be a lot nicer, but will cost a lot more fuel too, unless you travel slow.

-- Edited by RCook on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 03:57:28 PM

-- Edited by RCook on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 04:05:28 PM
Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
RCook wrote:

We used to travel at 18 knots, but now run about 6.5 knots most of the time.* It's quieter and less tiring, we don't have to stare unceasingly at the water ahead looking to avoid floating wood etc, we enjoy the scenery and critters more, and we get almost three times the fuel economy.** When the chop gets up to 3-4 feet, sometimes we can travel much more comfortably by cranking her up to a slow plane, 13-15 knots.* Depends on the situation, wind vs tidal current, direction of travel, etc.* Nice to have the choice of speeds.

We typically travel 2000-2600 NM per summer, in 2.5-3 months.* Enough to do a fine job of either BC or SE AK, but not both in the same summer.

With 110 gallons of diesel our safe range staying at 6.5 most of the time is 250-300+ NM.* I'd guess the Rosborough would do as well or better, but not at 12 knots.**

If you want cheap and fuel efficient, even at 18 knots, the CD 22 Cruiser or CD Venture 23 are probably the ultimate.* If those are too tiny, the various 25-27 footers can be a lot nicer, but will cost a lot more fuel too, unless you travel slow.

-- Edited by RCook on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 03:57:28 PM
I'm curious as to why you say nay to the Rosborough at 12 knots.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
Guru

Pocket Cruiser

Just updated my post above. Without personal experience in a 90hp R-24, I may be guessing wrong, but I don't think it will plane well with 90hp, and might bust a gut trying. 12 knots seems to be its max with that motor, and I think not a workable planing speed laden for a long cruise. I'd think you'd need more hp, and would want to get up to 15 knots or more for an efficient plane with any sort of load.

Our CD 22 cruiser, a good 40% lighter than the R24, needed an upgrade from 70 to 90 hp to carry a long-cruise load decently.

P.S. Here's the Rosborough you want for a long cruise:

http://www.rosboroughboats.com/sedan_cruiser.html

-- Edited by RCook on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 04:21:29 PM
Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
RCook wrote:

Just updated my post above. Without personal experience in a 90hp R-24, I may be guessing wrong, but I don't think it will plane well with 90hp, and might bust a gut trying. 12 knots seems to be its max with that motor, and I think not a workable planing speed laden for a long cruise. I'd think you'd need more hp, and would want to get up to 15 knots or more for an efficient plane with any sort of load.

Our CD 22 cruiser, a good 40% lighter than the R24, needed an upgrade from 70 to 90 hp to carry a long-cruise load decently.

-- Edited by RCook on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 04:12:42 PM
OK, I see. I missed the 90hp factor. Rosborough touts a 30 mph potential, which I know the hull can handle, but that was with twin 150s. I thought it would be a great fit for FF, given his proximity to many used Rosboroughs, as well as what I know to be a fine little boat. I'd sure like to see what it could do with a single 150 horse.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Pocket Cruiser

FF: *I like the Rosborough too. *I've been holding this one back until I saw something more like it. *It's built on a Nasset 28 hull, and comes with the trailer.

http://shoebox28.blogspot.com/

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 04:46:16 PM

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 04:46:55 PM
Attached Images

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
healhustler wrote:

FF: *I like the Rosborough too. *I've been holding this one back until I saw something more like it. *It's built on a Nasset 28 hull, and comes with the trailer.
http://shoebox28.blogspot.com/

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 04:46:16 PM

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 04:46:55 PM
OMGCan you say "Sail Area". Just try docking that without seven bow thrusters.