Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Pocket Cruiser

Quote:
healhustler wrote:

FF: *I like the Rosborough too. *I've been holding this one back until I saw something more like it. *It's built on a Nasset 28 hull, and comes with the trailer.
http://shoebox28.blogspot.com/

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 04:46:16 PM

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 04:46:55 PM
OK, I am not a fan of this particular boat, but it made me think about Freds other option, which is to buy a hull, or hull and house from one of the plethora of east coast companies selling kit lobster boats. What a fun project. They are available from about 24ft to 28ft for a trailerable version. Seems like it'd be right up FF's alley.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
healhustler wrote:

It's built on a Nasset 28 hull, and comes with the trailer. http://shoebox28.blogspot.com/

Hmm....* Well, in the interest of saying something positive I suppose it looks great from the inside looking out.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I took this picture of this boat in Craig several months ago. Has twin volvos w douprop outdrives. Motivated seller. I can't remember if I posted this boat or not. I'm going back to Craig thursday so could check then.
Attached Thumbnails
sth71336.jpg  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:17 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -

Eric--- That looks like the water taxis and ecco-tour boats that run around in the bazillions of islands from Campbell River up to Port McNeil, between Vancouver Island and the BC mainland.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #25
FF
Guru

The Shoe box is interesting (but pug ugly) , but at 10 ft 3 beam its double hard to move without pounds of permits.

So far the Bayliner 24 Cierra seems best as a bloat boat , and with various brands of Chevvys and IO would be quick enough.

Unfortuniatly the Bayliners are bottom of the quality bucket so have Volvo conversions , instead of the far better Crusaider.

Used seem to run from $1500 to almost $20K for a real cherry one.

The concept of order of preference would be inboard , IO, outboards.

The reason is with a std boat the drives don't add to the LOA on the trailer and a 25 ft boat is pretty small.

Actually I would prefer an inboard GAS engine , as I hate the extra maint on a diesel, but these do not seem to have been made.

IO looks like the easiest compromise for maint that is readily available , and here in FL many tiny boats are rack kept , so the usual io problems may be less.

Interestingly I am finding Lakes boats , with no FW cooling!I guess folks know how short a salt cooled engine lasts , some are really low priced.

A friend bought a 12,000lb trailer for $1K, 30 ft Renker was free , take it away!!

Talk about low priced boats!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #26
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Now the *picture that Eric posted is what I am talking about for a PNW boat.* I am assuming is either inboard or IO.* Looks to have a hard stern top that can be canvas enclosed, seems to have good space with plenty of window area and ugly enough to be towed behind our ugly trawler.* (-;*

For some reason the emoticon do not work on my work computer?* I know some of you are*very happy about that.****I*did click the spell checker and there were no miss spelled words, so miracles do happen.* ***
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Quote:
FF wrote:

So far the Bayliner 24 Cierra seems best as a bloat boat , and with various brands of Chevvys and IO would be quick enough.

Unfortuniatly the Bayliners are bottom of the quality bucket so have Volvo conversions , instead of the far better Crusaider.

Used seem to run from $1500 to almost $20K for a real cherry one.

FF: * *My last Miami boat was a Sierra 2452 with a Mag 300 HP and duo-prop. *It was easy to clean, maintain, and probably a decent boat on plane (19 mph minimum). *This boat would actually do 50 mph with a clean bottom in calm water, but it was unforgiving in a chop of any size, it wallowed terribly in wakes, and just here in Biscayne Bay, it worked me to death trying to keep the thing trimmed. *Worst of all, it was a laborious curse to cruise at idle and in no-wake zones on the ICW at anything under plane speed. *(Not sure if you have any no wake areas up there.) *The boat simply would not go straight no matter how I trimmed it or balanced it. *I had a system of steerage recovery that I did half corrections, perhaps every 10-15 seconds, but if the boat was in any current or wind, I couldn't even do that. *A plus is the enclosed pilot area which is no good for Miami, but great for you up there. *Make sure you try the slow cruise before you buy. *Off plane, they're too flat to grab hold, and they work you to death at the helm. *Passing another boat at any close quarters took helm, throttle and often trim. *No rest.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 AM   #28
FF
Guru

AS always the choice between mostly flat bottom , faster better on the plane , shallower draft ,VS a more seaworthy deep V , good high speed rough ride , but with higher fuel burn is the compromise.

Happily I.m not in a hurry , and prefer little work.

The boat posted would be a great transplant for a 305 Crusaider , as all that wood in the after tent is probably heavy.

An honest 200hp should get the boat up and going , but the engine , prop and shafting would need to be tossed. Sounds like work!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote