Outboard power on a pocket trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interestingly, it looks like all of the Cutwater/Ranger Tugs at 27' and under are all now outboard powered.

Not everyone needs are hard-bottomed dingy. Some folks choose to go the inflatable or Porta-Bote route. Others may opt to just anchor near shore, and with a 19" draft with motor up, just wade in to shore. Of course, this is more preferable in warmer climates!

Interesting, just saw this on the Ranger Tugs website:

15492-albums680-picture6828.jpg

Jim

Plenty of options for dinghies on outboard powered boats. However, one other thing and that is outboards often reduce the need for dinghies as they're easier to take ashore or to the dock or anywhere you need. Outboards can generally go anywhere dinghies can.

Bob Vincent first tries 2, then tries 4 outboards on his Endeavour 48 Sky Lounge. The report is smooth as silk, but I’m guessing mileage may not be what it was with the inboard diesels.

Interestingly, it looks like all of the Cutwater/Ranger Tugs at 27' and under are all now outboard powered.

Not everyone needs are hard-bottomed dingy. Some folks choose to go the inflatable or Porta-Bote route. Others may opt to just anchor near shore, and with a 19" draft with motor up, just wade in to shore. Of course, this is more preferable in warmer climates!

Interesting, just saw this on the Ranger Tugs website:

15492-albums680-picture6828.jpg

Jim

Interesting Jim,
Wonder what all that stuff weighs hang’in out aft on that Ranger?
There’s only one place for dinghies on small boats and that’s the roof top despite what rsn48 speaking of God’s intentions.
I don’t see why nesting boats aren’t more popular?

Forum following function ... indeed but at what cost?

I dont need that much cockpit so I would extend the house 1/2.
Dingy on the cabin roof? Gotta have a way of getting it up there. Manhandling it up to the roof gets old real quick.
In my case, I would extend the house and put solar panels up there.
I am not sure of the method and ease to hang the dingy in it current position.
It appears the dingy's outboard has been removed and mounted on the swim platform.

Last edited:
Dan .. never felt the need for solar panels.
The dinghy “contraption” hinges on the sides of the OB and rotates back till the dinghy side contacts the water. Then just the dinghy rotates on the Weaver-like things. Then one can walk aft to the dinghy on the “walkway” provided.
I think that OB to port of the main is a get home or trolling engine. See the high thrust prop.
Weight may not be much of a problem as it appears the hull bottom goes all the way aft.

Eric, re solar panels, properly installed, you can stay on the hook longer and feel good about leaving food in the fridge if you leave the boat unattended for a month or so.
Judging from the size of the big OB, I suspect it charges the onboard batteries.

If the dingy 'contraption' works as you say, then great.

Interesting Jim,
Wonder what all that stuff weighs hang’in out aft on that Ranger?
There’s only one place for dinghies on small boats and that’s the roof top despite what rsn48 speaking of God’s intentions.
I don’t see why nesting boats aren’t more popular?

Forum following function ... indeed but at what cost?

I think it fairly common for these types of boat with a large single outboard to have a much smaller outboard for trolling. In an emergency, it also serves as a get home motor.

This is a a fairly new re-design for the smaller Ranger Tugs, and I would presume for the start they were designed with the idea of hanging a motor, trolling motor, and dingy bracket of some type off the rear. The boat seems to float pretty level in the water.

I think nesting boats may not be more popular as I don't know if there are any commercially available? Although, it is easy to buy plans/kits on-line and they don't seem to difficult to build.

Jim

Bob Vincent first tries 2, then tries 4 outboards on his Endeavour 48 Sky Lounge. The report is smooth as silk, but I’m guessing mileage may not be what it was with the inboard diesels.

Here's an earlier Passagemaker article when she had twin 300's. I believe this is the same set-up as on the Endeavour 42.

Jim

OB on a PT

Following this discussion. It makes me look at the C-Dory TomCat a little harder. I wish they made a 30' as well as the 25' that is out there...

Thanks ssobol.I was wishing for a cat about that length from C-Dory.I like the niche they have carved out....

outboard power for pocket trawlers

The current issue of "passage maker" has an article about someone who made a very similar conversion, on a 30ft boat with an inboard diesel to twin Mercury outboards. The work was done at Zimmerman Marine, those guys do quality work and from the photos looks like that was the case here, also.
The converted boat is more of a "down-east" than a trawler, but I don't see why you couldn't do something similar.
They wound up using gas outboards, but Mercury and several other brands make diesel OB's in a range up to 200HP, at least that I have seen, so you could go either way.
They did a lot of other mod's while they were at it, and the article didn't say how much the work cost, but makes for interesting reading, and may give you some good ideas.
By the way, Seaway is another builder with a nice line of "pocket trawlers" up to 27ft, all with OB's.
Peter

Back
Top Bottom