Nimble Wanderer Osprey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portager

Vessel Name
Osprey
Vessel Make
Nimble Wanderer
My new (to me) Nimble Wanderer, Osprey, is still stuck in Florida waiting for the trucker to get his truck fixed. I got the trailer refurbished and Osprey has been loaded on the trailer since 3/24/2017, but the selected transported is having truck problems. So there she sits. So now that I have a little more free time, I thought I'd post some pictures of Osprey.

Attachments

• large_1670207.jpg
    large_1670207.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 250
  • large_1032502.jpg
    large_1032502.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 420
  • large_1032501.jpg
    large_1032501.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 306
  • large_1032503.jpg
    large_1032503.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 233
  • large_1032531.jpg
    large_1032531.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 681
  • large_1032504.jpg
    large_1032504.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 268
  • large_1032508.jpg
    large_1032508.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 236
  • large_1032505.jpg
    large_1032505.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 224
  • large_1032509.jpg
    large_1032509.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 226
  • large_1032506.jpg
    large_1032506.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 271
Here are some more pictures of the interior.

Attachments

• large_1032510.jpg
    large_1032510.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 220
  • large_1032511.jpg
    large_1032511.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 185
  • large_1032512.jpg
    large_1032512.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 185
  • large_1032513.jpg
    large_1032513.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 189
  • large_1032514.jpg
    large_1032514.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 188
  • large_1032515.jpg
    large_1032515.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 194
  • large_1032516.jpg
    large_1032516.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 187
  • large_1032517.jpg
    large_1032517.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 194
  • large_1032518.jpg
    large_1032518.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 203
  • large_1032507.jpg
    large_1032507.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 285
and some of the cockpit and foredeck area.

Attachments

• large_1032519.jpg
    large_1032519.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 194
  • large_1032532.jpg
    large_1032532.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 167
  • large_1032521.jpg
    large_1032521.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 181
  • large_1032523.jpg
    large_1032523.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 158
  • large_1032524.jpg
    large_1032524.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 161
  • large_1032525.jpg
    large_1032525.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 166
  • large_1032526.jpg
    large_1032526.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 169
  • large_1032528.jpg
    large_1032528.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 164
  • large_1032529.jpg
    large_1032529.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 181
  • large_1032530.jpg
    large_1032530.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 280
and finally a few pictures of my tow vehicle a 2017 GMC Sierra 3500 HD.

Attachments

• Sierra 1.jpg
    Sierra 1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Sierra 2.jpg
    Sierra 2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Sierra 3.jpg
    Sierra 3.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Sierra 4.jpg
    Sierra 4.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 160
What a great boat - everything you need, all very functional. What are your plans again? Florida to California?

Awesome boat. IMHO the best of both worlds.

Be careful with her in the canyon.

Awesome potential for a Pacific/Atlantic/Arctic/lake/river cruising rig...how much fuel does your boat carry?

What a great boat - everything you need, all very functional. What are your plans again? Florida to California?

Thanks. She is currently on the trailer in Florida waiting for a truck to get repaired and tow her to California.

Awesome boat. IMHO the best of both worlds.

Be careful with her in the canyon.

Thanks. Osprey won't get towed into our Canyon. We have narrow roads and low overhang.

Awesome potential for a Pacific/Atlantic/Arctic/lake/river cruising rig...how much fuel does your boat carry?

Osprey carries 72 gallons of fuel. Theoretical range with 20% reserve at 7 knots should be 450 NMi, at 8 knots 350 NMi, 9 knots 280 NMi, and at 10 knots 225 NMi.

Is it still in Florida? What part, I am in Tampa? Need pics of current condition or anything if in my area?

Good luck and great looking boat.

Robert.

My 1995 Wanderer, Jack B, has averaged 20 gallons of fuel for 100 nm traveled cruising at 7 knots on 2 recent trips. That includes fuel consumed by the Wallas stove maybe 1 gallon each trip.

Ray

Nimble wanderer

So, the wanderer is trailerable,not trailer launchable? I live in key West on a c t 34 trawler, had nimble 24 when I got here. I wonder how many wanderers were built?

What a wonderful boat you’ve got there Portager.
I have a relative who has a Nimble Nomad w a 45hp OB. He lives aboard ... actually.
I especially like your little dinette. Want to convert our boat’s L setee to the dinette but ... so many projects.
I think your truck is worth more money than our boat.
I’m starting to pay spring attention to Willy now and have at least a dozen projects like change oil and coolant on the engine and other “get-er-ready” type jobs.
How big is your Yanmar and prop?

the wanderer "can be" trailer launched but you need a pad that can get your trailer down 2'10" at least and most have an abrupt drop off so you can loose your trailer.

Is it still in Florida? What part, I am in Tampa? Need pics of current condition or anything if in my area?

Good luck and great looking boat.

Robert.

Thanks. She was in Fort Pierce when I bought she, but I had her trailered to Southern California.

So, the wanderer is trailerable,not trailer launchable? I live in key West on a c t 34 trawler, had nimble 24 when I got here. I wonder how many wanderers were built?

The Wanderer is trailer launchable, but you need a long ramp and deep water. The ramp near my slip is pretty good, but I can't launch at low tide. I have waders so I can make check the depth at the end of the ramp. I keep Osprey in a slip, but I rent a secure storage space at the ramp to store the empty trailer and/or the boat & trailer. That allows me to park Osprey securely and wait on the tide.

Do you ever go by wind power alone ?

We have the mast suspended from the ceiling of our garage and the sails in storage. We're mainly interested in using her as a Trawler. If we ever put up the rags, we'd probably get kicked off TF! :lol: We're in the process of thinking about designing a Trawler mast that can fit under our 22' air draft bridge t the Pacific.

What a wonderful boat you’ve got there Portager.
I have a relative who has a Nimble Nomad w a 45hp OB. He lives aboard ... actually.
I especially like your little dinette. Want to convert our boat’s L setee to the dinette but ... so many projects.
I think your truck is worth more money than our boat.
I’m starting to pay spring attention to Willy now and have at least a dozen projects like change oil and coolant on the engine and other “get-er-ready” type jobs.
How big is your Yanmar and prop?

Thanks. The Yanmar is 75 HP 4JH4TE, the prop is 19" x 16" three-blade.

the wanderer "can be" trailer launched but you need a pad that can get your trailer down 2'10" at least and most have an abrupt drop off so you can loose your trailer.

Agreed. Waders come in handy. If the ramp isn't good, I plan to find a travel lift.

Is the wanderer inv
California if so what part

Yes, she is in Southern California, in Huntington Beach.

Last edited:
Osprey Update

I'm overdue to post an update on Osprey. So here is a quick summary of what I've done. After I bought Osprey, I had the trailer overhauled (repacked the bearings, and replaced the lights, wiring, and tires). Then I hired a truck driver to trailer her to Southern California. Once the boat arrived, I learned the tongue jack was worn out, so I replaced that. Once I finally got the trailer registered in California (it turned out the previous owner provided a color photocopy of the trailer title, which the CA DMV wouldn't accept). I trailered her to Baja Naval in Enseneda Mexico.

The trip to Ensenada was memorable. When you take a boat into Mexico you have to get a temporary import permit (TIP). I researched this and ensured I had all the necessary documentation, but when I handed over the USCG Documentation, they looked like they had never seen one and said they didn't know what to do with it. Turns out every trailerable boat they have seen had state registration, not USCG Documentation. We were required to park the truck and trailer on a special platform while a moving scanner X-rayed(?) our vehicle see photo. It was a little tight but it fit because it is a legal size load. We were delayed for ~2.5 hours while they called in a different border guard. She stared at it for a while and finally called someone who walked her through the process of filling out the form. Once we cleared the border, we had to rush to get to the boatyard before they closed because we didn't have anywhere to secure Osprey overnight. I guess it always pays to have a backup plan and a flexible schedule.

I was very satisfied with the work I had Baja Naval perform. The quality of their work was good and their labor rates were ~1/3 of my local Shipyard, so I was extremely happy with the value. With that said, I made the trip to Ensenada Mexico in 2017, but I wouldn't do it today because safety and security South of the border have degraded.

Here is a list of what I had Baja Naval perform in 2017 (in most cases I selected and purchased the hardware and provided it to Baja Naval and they did the installation):
1) Install new Side Power bow and stern thrusters,
2) Install 4 new Concord Lifeline GPL-30HT AGM batteries (two under the steps between the galley and pilothouse, one in the bow under the V-berth, and one in the lazaret),
3) Install Yanmar-approved Balmar serpentine belt and a Balmar 200 amp alternator,
4) Install Magnum 3000W 12VDC Pure Sine Hybrid Inverter Charger and battery monitor,
5) Repaired corrosion damage on the cast iron ballast at the base of the mast,
6) Repaint bottom paint,
7) Strip and refinish external teak,
8) Refresh internal varnish
9) Attach a boarding stair to the swim platform to facilitate boarding while on the trailer,
10) Clean engine compartment.

Bow & Stern Thrusters: IMHO the best modification I made so far. The thrusters make docking, especially in tight quarters very simple and low stress. In addition, Side Power has a hold feature that keeps both thrusters on while you tie up. Allowing me to perform single-handed docking with ease.

Batteries: The GPL-30HT AGM Batteries are a 150 AH capacity. Two of these batteries just barely fit in the battery compartment under the steps. The batteries in the bow and stern power the thrusters with minimal voltage drop. These are connected to the other two batteries with 00 cables, so in float charge, the voltage drop is minimal and all four batteries are effectively a single 600 AH house battery bank. The engine start battery is also a GPL-30HT, so both banks use the same charging profile and it provides over 700 cold-cranking amps at zero degrees F. I have determined that the optimum discharge percentage for these batteries for minimum life cycle cost is 80% not 50% (I'll prove that in a future post), so my usable battery bank capacity is 480 AH.

Alternator upgrade: The Balmar serpentine belt kit is approved by Yanmar and supports up to a 200 amp alternator. It produces about 150 amps at idle and 200 amps while underway.

Inverter/charger: The inverter allows me to run the heater/AC and the water heater (currently I don't have engine water jacket heating) when I'm away from shore power and it provides the proper charging profile for AGM batteries.

The survey discovered corrosion damage at the base of the compression post beneath the mast. I reduced the offer by $2500 and the seller quickly accepted. Baja Naval chipped out all the damaged cement that encapsulate the cast iron ballast. They treated the rusted cast iron and replaced the cement with the required epoxy cement and repainted it so it looks like new for $2400. I'm sure it would have cost 3 times as much in the US.

Boarding Stairs: When Ospery if on the trailer, the swim platform is over five feet off the ground. Since I want my wife to go on trips with me, and we plan to stay onboard while en route (because finding secure overnight parking is very difficult) I need safe and secure boarding. I purchased a New Wave Fabrication Tide Rider Boarding Stair 9-tread boarding stairs with two handrails. I also modified the trailer to allow me to securely mount the stairs on the back of the trailer.

Following all the work at Baja Naval, we put Osprey back on the trailer and brought her home. I decided to cross the border at Otay Mesa border crossing instead of San Ysidro because I didn't like the multi-lane traffic circles in Tiajuana. Turns out Otay Mesa is a bad option for a large trailerable boat. We had ~1.5 inches of clearance on each side, but with the mast, we had negative clearance at the top. We had to back out of the entrance against oncoming traffic and we were directed to the commercial crossing. The commercial crossing was bad advice because all commercial loads have to have a bill of lading form and we didn't have one. We only got across only because a senior border guard fell in love with the boat and he went to each checkpoint to get us through.

Attachments

• Osprey in Scanner Mx Border.jpg
    Osprey in Scanner Mx Border.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Osprey Bow Thruster Installed.jpg
    Osprey Bow Thruster Installed.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 11
  • Osprey New AGM Batteries Connected.jpg
    Osprey New AGM Batteries Connected.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Osprey Travelift Baja Naval 3.jpg
    Osprey Travelift Baja Naval 3.jpg