May go trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austinsailor

Veteran Member
I’ve had a couple cruising sailboats and cruised for several years. My last, a Cheoy Lee Midshipman (40’) was destroyed in Hurricane Harvey. I have a small trailerable sailboat, a Starwind 223, which I’ve equipped as much as possible to spend more time and plan to play some in it.

Lately I got the idea I should get a bluewater capable trailerable sailboat (such as a Pasific Seacraft Dana or Orion) but now think I should also consider a trawler type boat. Less setup time, no bridge worries and do on.

All I’ve seen are long on deck space and short on cabin space. Acadia 25 boats seen seaworthy, for example, but have little cabin area and poor galley accommodations . If they had a cabin that extended back 5’ to 10’ with a better galley it would be the cat’s meow.

Up to 30’ or so would be fine, to about 12,000 lb + trailer is ok. I tow with an F550, so weight isn’t a problem, I’m used to pulling 40’ trailers - and doubles at times.

Are there other boats I should be thinking of? Smaller diesel, more efficient would be my idea of the way to go.

Ranger Tugs seem to get a bad rap on this forum, but you may want to have a look. About the most comfort, livability and trailerability you'll find in a <30' boat. Factory support is excellent and there's a very large tight knit community of Ranger Tug owners out there. If you want diesel and stay under 30', you'll probably want to stick with 2017 and earlier, as several of their models went to outboard after that. If you want further opinion, feel free to PM me.

i second Ranger tugs. Our marina is a dealer for them and I have been on several. We are in New Jersey and last somer I was out with one of the salesmen and he told me a few weeks earlier he sold a 30' Ranger tug to a couple that already had a 27'. Instead of trailering it up to New Jersey from Florida, him and his wife flew down to pick it up. On the way they decided to go to the Bahamas for a week with the boat and then ran it up the coast to New Jersey. Pretty capable for a 27' boat.
John

Ranger Tugs seem to get a bad rap on this forum, but you may want to have a look. About the most comfort, livability and trailerability you'll find in a <30' boat. Factory support is excellent and there's a very large tight knit community of Ranger Tug owners out there. If you want diesel and stay under 30', you'll probably want to stick with 2017 and earlier, as several of their models went to outboard after that. If you want further opinion, feel free to PM me.

What makes you say that? I've never noticed a harsh word about them...except for maybe the purchase cost compared to older 25-30 footers.

I've always thought of Ranger Tugs as very capable small ships.

Using bluewater and trailerable trawler in the same sentence is an oxymoron. There are a few bluewater capable tiny sailboats like the PS Dana you mentioned, but no tiny trawlers.

David

Using bluewater and trailerable trawler in the same sentence is an oxymoron. There are a few bluewater capable tiny sailboats like the PS Dana you mentioned, but no tiny trawlers.

David

There's a big difference between a bluewater boat and a coastal cruiser.

There's a big difference between a bluewater boat and a coastal cruiser.

Correct, I would never consider my Ranger to be "bluewater". Not even close.

Thanks to all for the useful information.

It would appear that true bluewater capable isn’t a reasonable goal. I have looked at many Ranger Tugs on the internet as a result of your comments. It appears that an older R25 might be marginal for what I had in mind, not really bluewater, but capable of crossing to the Bahamas if you watch your weather. Believe me, I learned the hard way about watching your weather. It still would be bumping the upper end of what I’d sort of set for a budget.

I guess I should pinpoint a few samples for sale and set foot on a couple, probably R25 and R27 to get a feel. Guess I need to figure out what I want to do when I grow up, be a sailor or stink pot captain!

Thanks for your feedback.

Guess I need to figure out what I want to do when I grow up, be a sailor or stink pot captain!

Yup, I'm wrestling with that now too. Got a foot in each camp. But I've also got one of them wife thingies, and she far prefers the stinkpot. And I've gotta say, I'm getting spoiled by actually aiming the boat in the direction I want to go!

If we are going that route....I would go with the TomCat....same as the C-Dory people except a Cat.

For living aboard for extended periods, outboard powered for ease of maintenance and capable of crossing to the Bahamas in settled weather, the Tomcat 25 would be a great choice. Cats have 1/3 more room than similar length monohulls. It is trailerable with the right TV but with an F550 should be a snap and at 8-1/2' beam, no permits required.

David

For living aboard for extended periods, outboard powered for ease of maintenance and capable of crossing to the Bahamas in settled weather, the Tomcat 25 would be a great choice. Cats have 1/3 more room than similar length monohulls. It is trailerable with the right TV but with an F550 should be a snap and at 8-1/2' beam, no permits required.

David

Nice suggestion David. Before I decided to refit my Willard, I thought about selling her and buying something like the Rosborough. Tomcat 255, which I'd never heard of before you posted this, would have moved to the top of my list. I like OBs in boats this size.

https://www.c-dory.com/series/catamarans/

Peter

Nice suggestion David. Before I decided to refit my Willard, I thought about selling her and buying something like the Rosborough. Tomcat 255, which I'd never heard of before you posted this, would have moved to the top of my list. I like OBs in boats this size.

https://www.c-dory.com/series/catamarans/

Peter

Hey...it was my suggestion. I get the credit for the big salad!!!..:banghead::rofl::dance:.(Seinfeld reference)

Gotcha - regardless, looks like a really cool boat for anyone who doesn't mind living in a small space - enhanced "Glamping." For a guy who really misses my old orange 1972 VW Westfalia, it looks like a really versatile and useful boat.

Gotcha - regardless, looks like a really cool boat for anyone who doesn't mind living in a small space - enhanced "Glamping." For a guy who really misses my old orange 1972 VW Westfalia, it looks like a really versatile and useful boat.

I fully agree. They are really cool boats and pack a lot into a small package. My only issue with it would be in warmer climates. You'd roast in there even with all of the windows open....unless you were going 25kts.

I fully agree. They are really cool boats and pack a lot into a small package. My only issue with it would be in warmer climates. You'd roast in there even with all of the windows open....unless you were going 25kts.

You can always add AC.

You can always add AC.

I see those rooftop ACs on these boats often. Easy to install...if you have the nerve to cut through your roof. Significantly cheaper and they work really well.

I see those rooftop ACs on these boats often. Easy to install...if you have the nerve to cut through your roof. Significantly cheaper and they work really well.

I've heard that the ACE uses RV roof mounted type AC units as standard on their work boats.

The units are cheap (comparatively), designed to be mounted outside, is all in one, and can be run with the boat out of the water. The drawbacks are appearance, the need for a flat mounting surface, they are a bit noisier, and the external space they take up (e.g. can't carry a dinghy on the roof if you have an AC unit there).

I've heard that the ACE uses RV roof mounted type AC units as standard on their work boats.

The units are cheap (comparatively), designed to be mounted outside, is all in one, and can be run with the boat out of the water. The drawbacks are appearance, the need for a flat mounting surface, they are a bit noisier, and the external space they take up (e.g. can't carry a dinghy on the roof if you have an AC unit there).

You also have to deal with the condensate. You can let it go wherever or pipe it somewhere. Either way you have trails of water or an unsightly hose.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom