Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Houseboat Memorial Day

Not exactly a trawler outing, but still maybe of some interest?
One More Time Around: Hurricane Hole Happenings
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Looks like a whole lotta funs.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Im sure you had a great time.
I also belong to a houseboat forum since I didn't know what kind of boat I would end up with. Really great folks and absolutely NO fusing.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I also belong to a houseboat forum since I didn't know what kind of boat I would end up with. Really great folks and absolutely NO fusing.
We liked your boat when we were looking at sail...too big for the wife alone to handle. After the B27 we took on a 35' trawler - tooo much responsibility. This cheap, simple, trailerable, bang em up houseboat is just the ticket for us older folk...gravity toilet, Honda EU3000i generator on the roof, Chevy 350 motor, a pleasure to tow; can you say laid back uncomplicated comfort (although we totally recognize her beauty has been replaced by 'character')? And now we even have a freezer.

Certainly not a blue water boat, but we've already done our blue water thing.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Tony, please start a thread about your newly-purchased Mainship 36, with photos!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Tony, please start a thread about your newly-purchased Mainship 36, with photos!
OK Mark, you made me think about participating again.
I will as soon as I start some projects on it. I did a lot of documenting
with work on my sailboat and I will do the same with the Mainship. Lots of projects lined up and no time for them yet.

BTW Mark, you change your avitar more often then I change my socks. You are very hard to spot.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
...... This cheap, simple, trailerable, bang em up houseboat is just the ticket for us older folk........
I read your home page about a month ago. Showed it to the Admiral and she read it also. We both admire your lifestyle. I for one would do it in a heartbeat with a smaller boat and a trailer. The Admiral - not so convinced it would be for her. I love to drive and I love just moving whether by air, land or sea. With a trailer, you have no limits. You can go anywhere.
Maybe in a few years I will convince her.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
jeffnick, that rocks brother. Mines still tied up and will be for a while. Your doing it man. Tony I as well would like to see some pictures. Jeffnick, good pictures and story line. I can't wait.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
[QUOTE=Tony B;89792
BTW Mark, you change your avitar more often then I change my socks. You are very hard to spot.[/QUOTE]

Tony, I'm easily bored with my avatars. You can count on future changes.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #10
Guru

Jeffnick

This is where we intend to get lost. Maybe someday we could hook up together and drag Paul (SwampU) with us.
This map does not show "The Great Loop" but they are all connected
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Tony, finally got rid of the blow boat picture! Thats a hell of a trip you got planned. I think you would literally have to drag me at this point but one day. Now once we get going maybe we could roll down to the keys? Blue water, little drinks with umbrellas in them.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
... Now once we get going maybe we could roll down to the keys? Blue water, little drinks with umbrellas in them.
I don't know about the little drinks with umbrellas thing. The other guys might start to talk.
BUT......We will definitely have a few beers together this coming late winter/early spring. I still have your cell number you sent me. We will probably spend a week or 2 in Gulfport or Biloxi - Old friends in GP and Biloxi and wifes family in Vancleve.
The only advice I can give you is get plenty of ice. I can't wait to see your boat from the inside. She is a beauty from the outside.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Tony, finally got rid of the blow boat picture! Thats a hell of a trip you got planned. I think you would literally have to drag me at this point but one day. Now once we get going maybe we could roll down to the keys? Blue water, little drinks with umbrellas in them.
Sigh. that sounds so nice-- with or without the umbrellas... one day we want to do the loop, even if that means trucking the boat overland to a starting point.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jeff your memorial day trip looks AWESOME. thanks for sharing your blog.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 06-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
.... one day we want to do the loop, even if that means trucking the boat overland to a starting point.
We might head back down south again to the Gulf in 2014 and do the loop. It's not like we haven't talked about it.

The different colors represent which leg would be best to be on during the appropriate season. The trip is normally done counter-clockwise because going north in the Missisippi is not practical.
The Purple is Winter hang-out, Green would be spring, that brownish would be summer and fall would be whatever color is spilling out of the Great Lakes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Great Loop.jpg  
Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #16
Guru

We've done most of the loop, in several different boats at different times. I'm not really inspired to get the T-shirt. We're planning a cross country run to Lake Powell in September. As soon as we decide on a route we'll post to see if anyone on the way would like to share a WalMart parking spot or a fender on the Lake.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
We've done most of the loop, in several different boats at different times. I'm not really inspired to get the T-shirt. We're planning a cross country run to Lake Powell in September. As soon as we decide on a route we'll post to see if anyone on the way would like to share a WalMart parking spot or a fender on the Lake.
Hmm does that mean you did not find the loop an enjoyable experience? What is your favorite place you've been? Just curious what kind of stuff you like.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #18
Guru

Having the 'Loop' as a goal is an unquestionably great idea. I'm not a 'destination' boater. When I shove off, if I don't set foot on land until I'm finished cruising, I consider the outing a total success.

I don't enjoy locking. We did 80 locks on the New York Barge Canal. It's work.

I don't enjoy dodging commercial traffic on the water - especially the lower Mississippi. Hailing on the VHF for passing notifications/instructions isn't my thing. In fact, I just hang around bridges until they open.

So you know what I don't like. What I do like is the relative Anarchy of the water. A Freedom you don't experience on land - no stop signs or traffic lights, no responsibility to neighbors (unless you elect to have them), go where you want, when you want, and most importantly is the aspect of responsibility. Today we are a society of greed, quickly blaming others in our conquest for MORE. Yes, it happens on the water too, but not as much/often. Cruisers are generally a more independent/responsible lot.

End of rant.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #19
Guru

I guess I didn't totally answer your question.
What stuff do I like?
We like the ICW. No locks (well one), relatively little commercial traffic, a gazillion places to anchor and be one with nature or party with fellow boaters, towing (BoatUS unlimited for us) although we've never needed to call, unparalled options for nature stuff or shoreside activities, and we're boat watchers. And now we appreciate the value of relatively protected lakes and rivers, where the fresh water is always great for a swim or doing laundry/dishes.

I'll post some pics when I get to the home computer
Old 06-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #20
Guru

Here's a few boating pics of the places we like - well we like them all.

Key West is always a trip - we usually splash at Bahia Honda and have approached KW from both sides.

Homer Alaska

also Skagway, Stewart/Hyder, Prince Rupert - the Inside Passage if mighty big for our 18' boat.

Thunder Over Louisville on the Ohio - said to be the largest fireworks show in the US.

Circumnavigating Manhattan with my wife and daughter on our 15'11" cuddy. The three of us then spent 3 nights aboard while exploring the mainland harbors of upper Long Island Sound.

Bahamas - we'd been there several times on the sailboat, but I wanted to cross the stream in the outboard - took 3 tries.

Lake Michigan - Chicago

We put in at Washington Island WI after taking the ferry over, came down Green Bay and on thru the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal, visiting every harbor to Calumet on the way (also did the micro loop from Calumet Harbor, inland to Chicago).

Only allowed 6 pictures, so you'll have to imagine Columbia River to San Diego (by land towing the boat) visiting most every harbor on the way - splashing at several including a run to Catalina. Other memorables include Lake Havasu, Powell, much of the TN River, Block Island and all of the wonderful St Johns River (to name a few)...
One More Time Around: Duck Delivers Delight in DeLand