Old 10-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

homemade trailerable aluminum trawler

I would appreciate any feedback on the boat my dad and I designed and built last year. A trailerable (wet weight 5250 lbs), aluminum, semi-displacement trawler we named the North Westerner 2510. (More pictures online.) She's powered by a 60 HP High Thrust Honda and cruises at 9.5 mph while using 1.8 gallons an hour.

Attached Images

Jonathan Millenaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: homemade trailerable aluminum trawler

Nice.
Attached Thumbnails
small belgium boat.jpg  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Looks to be about 27'. Looks like something I'm going to really like. Where are you? Do you have better pics? Post photos of the bottom aft especially. Did you need to learn to weld? Is the cabin FG? I have a 60hp Suzuki on my 18 or 19' FG OB. Burns a tad more at 4000rpm. Do you have a fan to exhaust engine fumes from the well? Sure would like to have been a fly on the wall when you did your design work. I see a logo on the cabin. Did you snatch the cabin off another boat *...nice choice if you did and if you did'nt ...very nice glass work *....and design. The boat generally looks great!
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #4

Nomadwilly,
We live in Mount Vernon Washington it's about 1 hr north of Seattle. The boat is 26' long. We hired a local welder to do all the welding while we held sheets and made minor adjustments as needed.
The boat in the pictures is built 100% from scratch.
There doesn't seem to be a problem with exhaust fumes but we do plan to have a removable cover over the engine anyways, which will work as an other seat, cut down on the sound and make flat surface for a table.
We've had a lot of positive feedback on the boat so far, we decided to build boat number two and make a run of a little boat building company.
For more pictures, go to northwesternerboats.com
If you have anymore questions or feed back I'd appreciate it.
Jonathan Millenaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Guru

Very interesting. Could'nt find in a search <northwesternerboats.com>
<table class="forumline borderline" style="font-size:12px;background-color:#0053a2;border-collapse:collapse;margin-bottom:10px;width:100%;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr class="tr tr-last tr-even"><td class="row2 borderline comment-content" style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-collapse:collapse;background-color:#f4f7fe;border-width:1px;border-color:#0053a2;border-style:solid;padding:4px;" valign="top"><table style="font-size:12px;width:1125px;padding:0px;margin:0px;"><t body><tr><td style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;width:1121px;" colspan="2">*northwesternerboats.com
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
Could you post a live link?
Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
Guru

Jonathan,

Would you like to build this:

Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan

Hi Eric

Try this*http://www.hybridboatcompany.com/
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Guru

homemade trailerable aluminum trawler

Excellent boat and design objectives that should fit the present market really well. It looks much like a Sea Dory and that look sold very well. You should have no trouble selling her. Put some color on her. Bright colors like red frequently help sell aluminum boats. For my personal needs/wants I much prefer a deeper hull like the Atkin's boat I posted and I prefer my engine on the transom but I think your well mounted engine will sell better and CG wise it's a tad bit better. As a side note Suzuki offers lower gear ratios than Yamaha.*

We moved to Alaska 5 years ago and I lived in Arlington for 20 years. Thank you very much for the link Mike.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 09:58:10 AM