Old 01-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: Coaster 23 by Lovett/Chudley

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Yea*** ..and it sounds like you consider that a sin. I can't find anything better and the search is getting tiresome***
Not really.* The NTs were runners-up in my trawler selection.*

Still, I'm a bit surprised by your attraction.* NTs lack the qualities you seem to*like about Willy: double ended, sailboat-like hull form, and not over-powered.* And Willy is quite handsome and less plastic-like.

Eric, I'm curious as to how you would carry your dinghy on a NT.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #22
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

Eric
Was the navy conversion the one in California on YW or the one in Ontario?
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Sailor of Fortune,
Ontario. Don't know about the one in Calif. Should I look for it? Needs to be under $100K.
I wonder if I could run the Ontario boat home on it's own bottom??? THAT would be a trip for a good post!
Mark,
There's almost no FD hulls out there but the NTs are closer than most. They have a bit of rocker in their aft sections. I like disp not double enders and even most of the FD hulls are over powered. But Willy is more handsome and less plastic. You'd be surprised how many people think it's a wood boat.
Dinghy on the Nordy? On the swim step like most others.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #24
Master and Commander

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:Mark,
There's almost no FD hulls out there but the NTs are closer than most. They have a bit of rocker in their aft sections. I like disp not double enders and even most of the FD hulls are over powered. But Willy is more handsome and less plastic. You'd be surprised how many people think it's a wood boat.
Dinghy on the Nordy? On the swim step like most others.
I disdain swim steps.* I prefer*staying dry, and the steps are something else that can break off.

Save Willy!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
Guru

The one in Ontario seems like a good deal. Especially since it will be had for less than the asking price due to limited appeal. Most people would bypass this boat due to 1977 age. As you know, these navy boats spend most of their life indoors aboard ships. This is for all practical purposes a 2005 boat. Nice John Deere power, very good looking cabin and pilothouse and professionally done interior with late model electronics. I would think this boat would be worthy of a closer look if it fits your needs.
The one in California has been for sale for some time. It has kind of a funky set up. Someone on boatdesign was talking about getting this boat for around 40k. It has an asking price around 100k. If I remember correctly they said it had a leaky fuel tank. Since it is still on YW last time I checked, the sale apparently didn't happen. It is set up for diving rather than cruising and has the
6-71 with a manual transmission.
Good luck Eric, keep us posted.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Guru

S of F,Thank you very much for the update. Yes The Ontario boat looks very good to me * *...a bit too big but I can rent a 50' slip here in Thorne Bay for about $800 a year. The Calif boat dos'nt sound good at all. I'm waiting for the Ontario owner to call. Do you think I could run that boat 7.5 to 8 knots on less than 3gph? The Deere engine could possibly make that happen. Many people would'nt buy a 50' boat w only 1 head. NT would prolly be a bit more suited to my needs but I do like the Escapade.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #27
Guru

I think you could be very close to 3 gallons/hr. That is a really nice boat IMHO. As you know they are overbuilt/sailor proof and of fire retardant resin. I think it was FF that said when they do the fglass lay-up, they don't stop until the hull is complete. No "secondary" bonds. This is part of the Navy requirements. I told my wife that if we were in a position to buy something now, that would be the boat. I also told her it probably would sell quickly or languish on the market due to not
very wide appeal. Good luck-good choice.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #28
FF
Guru

"I think it was FF that said when they do the fglass lay-up, they don't stop until the hull is complete. No "secondary" bonds"

Not only that the hull is 100% roving , with no mat between layers.

This allows a higher glass to resin ratio, stronger and lighter.

7k under 3gph no sweat , we do it with a 6-71 , the deere might get you to 8K same burm , as well as 1000lbs lighter.

Only thing you loose is the sweet DD exhaust note.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #29
Guru

Eric
My next boat WILL BE a Navy 40' personnel boat. The double cabin version. I loved my Albin 25
but it was to small (I'm 6'4" 280 lbs). As you know, the Albins are Fun! I don't want anyone elses interpretation of a cabin setup-I have seen some very nice ones, but I want to start from scratch.
A willard version would be the preference, with the 6-71 (or no power).In keeping with the albin theme, I would have state room aft and galley dinette in fwd cabin. The center cockpit would have a full length hard top over it with the pilothouse enclosed.
The gov't still has them at sealed bid for peanuts-provided you know your usually not getting a turn key boat. This will be rigged very simply/spartan by some standards. These boats have no wide spread appeal and it would only be rigged for my taste. No flybridge/bow thruster/night vision
cameras, inflatable tenders,stidd seats, IPS drives, latest anchor swivels, cappacino machines etc.
It will be a safe no nonsense cruising motor boat for my wife and I to play in from our home base of St Augustine, Fl. Right now the Tug keeps me busy for half the time and real estate keeps me busy when I'm off the tug.
Ive always maintained that I don't find boats, they find me! Ill document the whole process here when the time comes.
You had an Albin 25 so you can probably relate.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #30
Master and Commander

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:
My next boat WILL BE a Navy 40' personnel boat. The double cabin version.
Jack, will you ready*when 40-something guests come aboard?

Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #31
Guru

Its personnel carrying days will be over. New mission will require elbow room for 2 only (plus dog).
Must be able to carry hard skiff, 2 kayaks and 2 bicycles in reasonable comfort. Design to survive in ferocious wx and avoid such. Use will be Coastal/ ICW and loop. Certainly won't impress the neighbors or the yachting establishment.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #32
Guru

Jack,You're not going to buy that 50' boat in Ontario?
There's a 40' Willard triple cabin boat for sale but I think it's on the west coast and has
DD 6-71.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #33
Guru

I'm not going to buy the Ontario boat, although I do like it. The triple cabin boat on the west coast
may be the inconnu (sp?). It is an Alaska charter boat. I want that type, but I want it from the navy before conversion. I would have to "undo" somebody elses conversion. The navy still auctions them off every so often. There appear to be many more 33' boats than 40's.
Patience will pay off. Not interested in the 33's.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #34
Guru

Coaster 23 by Lovett/Chudley

Here is the boat I thought the Coaster was.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...o=wolfemarine&

Fortune,
I don't understand it but when I see those navy boat for sale they always seem to want a fortune for them.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 12:35:12 AM
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 AM   #35
Guru

They do want a fortune for them. That is why I want to go to the source (GSA Auction) where they can be had for peanuts. Several months ago, 2 40's and several 33's went up for sale. I don't think any sold- complete boats, hi bids were under 4 k if I remember correctly. Reserve minimum bid was not hit. The reserve was probably 8-10k. If I was seriously in the market at this time (which I'm not), I would bid up the minimum until reserve was met. These boats are only a starting place. They frequently need re-power, always need interiors and costs can add up quick if your unable or unwilling to do the work. However, for under 50k you can have a pimped coastal cruiser that will take care of its crew and be suitable for "action, adventure and romance" on the waterways.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:44 PM   #36
FF
Guru

I'll sell you mine (Navy Utility 50) for $50K, but remember our love is for a huge afterdeck , so when you keep the fwd. WT bulkhead and use 15 ft aft for the patio, a 50 ft boat becomes a 30 ft boat.

And with an air height of 10.5 there is 30 ft sail style living , not roomaran.

But the pilot house is a pure delight* at about 10x10.

Paint the interior to your colors and be gone , after a trip to the food supply.

Bring Cash.

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 02:45:42 PM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #37

Sorry for taking this discussion back a little, but the coaster 23's, besides serving as pleasure boats, were also doing duty as small commercial fishing trollers. I have a shot of one with fishing gear, that was located up in Prince Rupert, B.C., I believe.

It is true that they do seem to ride down by the bow a little. I have observed this myself, (since there are a couple that I have seen operating around here), exactly as a fishing boat will look, putting out to sea, without a full load of fish. They have a big `behind' to carry all that fish, when coming home! So, if one is not into commercial fishing, and most of us aren't, for these particular boats, a lot of the heavy weight as was previously pointed out must be put in the stern area, to balance things out.

This is a semi-displacement design, so, with enough power, they will get up on a semi-plane, so too much weight aft, for that purpose, probably wouldn't be too good, but that would likely use the hp on the top end, and use a lot of fuel. For those of us who like to eco-boat and are fuel misers, a smaller engine at displacement speeds is the best way to use this great little troller design. (Note, troller, not trawler.)

-- Edited by Dabnis on Friday 17th of June 2011 07:45:31 PM

-- Edited by Dabnis on Friday 17th of June 2011 07:55:33 PM
Dabnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #38

Your coaster looks in quite nice conditon. How are you enjoying using it so far?

(By the way, unless the owner has changed their mind, *there is one of these coasters for sale in our area, in case anyone is interested. They are very*rare.)

-- Edited by Dabnis on Friday 17th of June 2011 07:42:08 PM

-- Edited by Dabnis on Friday 17th of June 2011 07:47:48 PM
Old 06-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #39

Bob,*

Here is a shot of a Coaster 23 in Comox, Vancouver Is., *showing a detail of their anchor roller, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
081610_1908.jpg  
Old 06-18-2011, 07:13 AM   #40

Hello Bob,

I've added some comments on page 4, including a shot of an anchor/roller on another Coaster 23, also, a shot of our Coaster `project', sitting in our driveway.

-- Edited by Dabnis on Saturday 18th of June 2011 08:15:03 AM

-- Edited by Dabnis on Saturday 18th of June 2011 08:15:45 AM
Attached Thumbnails
sandokhan june 16 2009 copy.jpg  

Tags
coaster, coaster 23, trailerable, trailerable trawler