Old 12-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Albin Trailerable Trawler

Troika didn't come with a trailer but I bought one for her and I've towed her from Florida to Virginia and back and forth a couple times.

Originally, I bought her in San Francisco, had her shipped to Galveston..to Pier 77 Yacht Service and then I took her on her own bottom thru the GIWW to Apalachicola, Florida.* I bought a trailer for her in Tampa.* My son, Rob,*he lives in Jacksonville, picked*up the trailer for me and brought*it back*to Apalachicola.* We loaded*Troika up and towed her to Jax and then later we towed her on up to Virginia, where our home is.* She sits in our driveway on Apple Mountain during the summer except for a trip down to the Potomac River*just south of Washington, D.C. where we launched at Leesylvania State Park for a weekend trip.

Troika is a terrific boat.* I hope we'll get to use her more once my wife, Terri, retires.* I'd love to take her to the Bahamas.

I took her down to St. Mary's River Fish Camp last year along with the motorhome and enjoyed both the St. Johns and the St. Mary's rivers.* The following spring, in April, I made an aborted attempt at coming up the ICW, headed for Norfolk and the Chesapeake.* I got as far as Brunswick, Georgia where the starter let go.* Rob came with the trailer and towed me back to Jax where I had the starter rebuilt at Lambs Yacht Service.* By then it was getting a little late for me.* I had things that needed to be done at home and I missed my wife, she's still working.* So, I towed her home to Virginia.

Hope we see more photos of Trailerable Trawlers here and I hope you enjoy these of Troika.
Attached Thumbnails
dvc00191.jpg   dvc00192.jpg   dvc00059.jpg  
capnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

RE: Albin Trailerable Trawler

Here is Troika in Houma, Louisiana about 6 months after Katrina and also a photo of a*wood boat impaled on a piling in Ocean Springs, Mississippi when the water receded.* They had a 22' surge with* 10' to 15' waves on top of that.* The devestation was unreal.* But they dug right in and with a mobile home as the harbor masters office, they did a great job of making me feel right at home.

Anyway, Troika burns pretty consistently .5 GPH at 6.33 MPH (by GPS), except when I entered the Mississippi after coming out of the Harvey Locks in New Orleans.* In that case I was hitting 9 to 10 MPH, fastest Troika has ever been, with me at least, except when on the trailer.* She has a 36 horsepower Volvo, 4 cyclinder engine.

Troika*has a 25 gallon aluminum tank and I carry two 5 gallon jerry cans.* A couple more jerry cans and I could almost make Bermuda. Ha
Attached Thumbnails
dvc00011.jpg   dvc00043.jpg  
capnwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:39 AM   #3

Bill,

We had the exact same boat back in the early 80's and used it all over the Chesapeake Bay.* 'Sea Swede' was a '76 model with the 36hp Volvo and, as you said, it used quarts/hour.*I remember before going out for a weekend stopping at the local gas station and filling two 5 gal.jerry jugs with K1 kerosene. At that point, I wasn't really thrilled traveling at 6 kts. and sold her to my Dad who used it for a few more years. Always brings a smile when I see one!!

Jim
43 Tradewinds - @Home
Jim Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #4

Albin Trailerable Trawler

I am looking for a trailerable trawler in the 30-35' length range to replace the 40' X 14' Schucker motorsailer that my wife and I have lived on in Bahamas-FL for the past 14 winters. Please contact me if anyone knows of a long, narrow (max. 9')*and affordable boat that might meet our need.* Thanks much, John 828 452-5165* bottomsjohn@gmail.com

-- Edited by bottomsjohn on Saturday 25th of April 2009 09:31:00 AM
bottomsjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

I was on one of these at Trawlerfest San Diego and for a trailerable boat, it's quite impressive.** http://www.c-ranger.com/
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #6

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Euphoria
Vessel Model: Olson 40

When my wife and I were cruising Alaska on a chartered Nordic Tug 32, we came across a couple who had cruised up to Juneau in a C-Ranger 25. They had been aboard for 6 weeks at that time, and seemed to be having a great time.

A couple of months ago I went aboard one at the Long Beach Boat Show. I was surprised at the size of the cabin, much larger than I expected. Seems like a very nice boat, and truly trailerable.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote