Wi-Fi-Access?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use a Wirie AP (Wifi only), but they do make a unit that utilizes LTE as well. All the bells and whisltes in one easy to install unit. No networking or other gymnastics..

Marine WiFi and RV WiFi 3G/4G/LTE solutions – The Wirie

So just to be clear, the Wirie AP will pick up and boost the signal, and I an then connect iPads, Computers, and anything else that has a Wifi? That's what the website appears to imply anyway.

I have not been all that interested in a wifi booster until recently. This last weekend I was at a couple different marinas that had wifi available, but the signal was so weak that it was all but unusable. So a signal booster might help.

OTOH, I think a lot of the problem with some of the small marinas is simply that they have terrible bandwidth. Since all boaters seem to be running at least a couple of devices that are using an Internet connection, the bandwidth may simply get overloaded. In that situation, a better connection won't help.

I use my phone as a hotspot, but that won't work for me in Canada (without it costing way too much) and in some areas of south Puget Sound even a cell signal is hard to come by.

All that to say, that a booster might be great as long as it wasn't too expensive, or too much of a hassle to setup.

It's about service expectations and competition. When traveling, I can get WiFi in every floor, and all over the grounds of every hotel I visit. Travelers demanded it, and hotels responded. Unfortunately, that isn't the case at many marinas. Here in SoCal, I am 30' and 200' from the two closest wifi towers on the dock, and it is pretty much non-functional from either. Between the low power, and ridiculously low bandwidth, I've given up for now. The old lady at the marina office was a little aloof when I complained, informing me "it is just for checking emails occasionally, not streaming videos or anything like that"! :banghead: Seriously?!:facepalm:

There's not an empty marina in SoCal, so voting with your dollars doesn't work.

For now I use my job provided cellular Hotspot (unlimited plan, so no cost to employer). Next year after I retire, I'll have to get serious about this Beacon wifi BS!:rolleyes:

So just to be clear, the Wirie AP will pick up and boost the signal, and I an then connect iPads, Computers, and anything else that has a Wifi? That's what the website appears to imply anyway.

I take the feed from the Wirie (Rogue Wave WIFI in my case, but they're similar) and feed it via ethernet cable into a WIFI router for use on the boat. It's easy to find a router with 12V power supplied by a wall wart. Ditch the wall wart and wire it directly to 12V power. My Cradlepoint router works fine.

I take the feed from the Wirie (Rogue Wave WIFI in my case, but they're similar) and feed it via ethernet cable into a WIFI router for use on the boat.

With that setup, are you able to access your Wirie from inside your network? I couldn't but found the solution was to reconfigure my WIFI router as an access point. That leaves the Wirie (in my case Bullet M2, but same thing) to act as router and firewall. Anytime I need to check on the bullet, determine its signal strength, bandwidth, etc., I have it book marked and can get to it from my laptop (wirelessly).

Last edited:
With that setup, are you able to access your Wirie from inside your network? I couldn't but found the solution was to reconfigure my WIFI router as an access point. That leaves the Wirie (in my case Bullet M2, but same thing) to act as router and firewall. Anytime I need to check on the bullet, determine its signal strength, bandwidth, etc., I have it book marked and can get to it from my laptop (wirelessly).

Rick, you are light years ahead of me. I plug it in and if it works with minimal prompting, I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom