A week in central SE Alaska ( 1 )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
1.** From a friends house in Thorne Bay.

2.** Wrangell

3.** In Wrangell Narrows. Make no mistakes.

4.** On the floats in Petersburg harbor looking toward shore near Hammer Slough.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 86
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 90
Eric---

Is there still a working seafood processor in Wrangell harbor?* The first time my wife and I took the Beaver up the Inside Passage we spent a couple of days in Wrangell before heading up the Stikine River into the Coast Range in BC.* We ramped the plane on the large floatplane dock inside the harbor.* The local shrimp boats were unloading shrimp at a processor on the pier*the floatplane dock is attached to.* They were selling live shrimp off the boats real cheap so we bought a bunch of them.* Best shrimp we've ever had.* This was back in 1985 or so.

We've stopped briefly in Wrangell a few more times over the years to clear customs after flying back down the Stikine into the US, but we never stayed long enough to notice if the seafood outfit was still there or still operating.* We based out of Petersburg on all those flights so spent all our time over*there with friends*when we weren't actually out in the boonies with the plane.

Marin,
Sorry I don't know that much about Wrangell. For years it's been 3 canneries running in Petersburg but now there is 4. We had breakfast at the Diamond (I think) cafe in Wrangell and it's got to be the best in SE. Wrangell is still suffering from the near shut down of the timber industry there. I'm eager to drive hwy 37 (The Dease or Cassiar hwy) along the backside of the Coast Range. We went to Chilco Lake (also on the backside of the range (east of Bella Coola) and found it to be a beautiful and wild place. Here is the Yacht club in Ketchikan. We like to stay there and use the showers in their float house. By the way** ..** we have lots of shrimp here.

Eric Henning

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 76
Eric---

Back in 1977 the senior cameramen got six weeks annual vacation from the TV station I worked at in Honolulu, and they gave use a seventh week if we left the state. So I shipped my Land Rover to Oakland, CA and a good friend (the fellow I went to PEI with last month) drove out from Virginia where he was--- and still is--- a professor at Virginia Tech, and we put his 17' Grumman canoe on top of my Land Rover and went fishing in Yukon Territory for five weeks. While there we pulled a fellow's Jeep out of a lake and he paid us $100. With this extra money Randy figured that instead of driving back down the Alaska Highway, which is dead boring if you've been on it before, which we had, we could drive to Watson Lake, YT and then take the Cassiar highway to Terrace, BC and drive the Yellowhead Highway down the Skeena River to Prince Rupert. We would then take the BC ferry down the Inside Passage to Vancouver Island, then the ferry to Anacortes, drive to Seattle where Randy would collect his Jeep from my friend's house where we'd left it and drive home while I drove back to Oakland and shipped my Land Rover back to Hawaii.

The drive down the Cassiar Highway was WAY more interesting and scenic than the Alaska Highway. And it was on the BC ferry as we went by Butedale that I decided that come hell or high water I would figure out a way to move to the PNW. It took another two years but I made it. All because of the capstan winch on the front of my Land Rover (which I still own) that let us pull a Jeep out of a lake in the Yukon.

Almost ten years after my and Randy's journey down the Cassiar, my wife and I honeymooned by floatplane at a lake deep in the Coast Range. We were weathered in and several days after our planned departure day the RCMP came in by helicopter looking for us because our Flight Note had expired.* We followed them to Dease Lake on the Cassiar Highway where we could get gas for the plane and stay in a roadside motel until the weather cleared enough for us to fly the hundred miles back to the mountains and the another hundred miles down the Stikine River to Wrangell and Petersburg.

If you ever drive the Cassiar, make sure to take the side trip through the Coast Range to Stewart, BC and Hyder, AK.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 25th of July 2009 12:01:30 AM

Group # 2.

1.*** A beautiful 65' Bill Garden cruiser for sale in Petersburg

2.*** View from Kake

3.*** Kake

4.*** Kake

5.*** Kake

6.*** Small Black Bear viewed from bridge in town (Kake).

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 077.jpg
    077.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 78
Group # 3

1.*** Low buck downtown beachfront estate in Kake w it's own charm.

2.*** At anchor in Rocky Pass by High Island on a river mouth.

3.*** Morning start in the pass.

4.*** This opening leads to the back channel at Pt. Baker. The cabin on the left I believe to be that of the author of the book "Alaska Blues"* ..* Joe Upton.

5.*** Christine takes the helm as we enter Pt. Baker.

6.*** Downtown Pt. Baker.

7.*** A local dory in front of the city float** ..* downtown Pt. Baker.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Monday 27th of July 2009 06:51:33 PM

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 098.jpg
    098.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 096.jpg
    096.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 86
Eric:

I am full of envy as to what you and your wife are doing. The pics are great and the sharing of your cruise...even greater!

Thanks for the photo cruise,

Walt

Yes I second that comment. *Looks like great exploring and cruising.

Thanks, Leon.

OK guys** ..* lets see if I can post 12.

1.*** The Treasa Marie. A boat for Marin Fare.

2.*** Fire weed in Petersburg.

3.*** In Petersburg south harbor

4.*** Tod has fished this boat for 25 yrs and look how he keeps it. He is a high liner and* gives riviting presentations to tourists as well.

5.*** A lone house on Frederick Sound.

6.*** Kake

7.*** Kake harbor. Since the logging died there is no employer here in Kake and the floats show the result. I hear they have a grant comming and a new harbor is planned.

8.*** Bridge in Kake (where the bear was).

9.*** Kake waterfront view.

10.*** Old cannery at Kake.

11.*** Point Baker on Sumner Strait.

12.*** Hot dogs in the back channel passing through.

Well lets see if this will all fly.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 76
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 88
It did!!! Thanks for sharing. Awesome pics!!!!

Hi John,
Nobody seems to be curious enough about the "hot dogs" to ask. It was a log that was probably used for a float of some sort and notches about 6" deep were cut into the log to acomimodate the cross pieces. Thats why the "hot dogs" are in such a straight line.
Do you know any other boat in the speed range of yours that is of equal size that is as efficient as yours? No freaks .. just regular boats. I can't even think of a runner up. Your Yanmar is extremely efficient as hp per cu in but is it as efficient in hp hr per gallon of fuel? When we were in Everett Wa a guy had one like yours but in red. Very very nice.

Eric Henning

Great pictures Eric - love to see your area in more depth than the cruise ship gave me!
Question - while in Alaska waters I saw several "pleasure boat" type vessels that had large number boards on them with the some sort of numbering that the commercial fish boats had. Are these probably "pleasure boats" that are being used to fish commercially or does Alaska have some sort of sport fishing law that requires a license number to be displayed on the vessel. Looked rather odd to see a Gran Banks type trawler with the number boards in Ketchican.
By the way thanks for the info on the derelict vessel being a light ship, looking at my photos it would appear to be a good choice for its history.
Have a great week
John

John---

The large numbers are for a commercial license. I've fished with friends out of Petersburg and we all had basic Alaska sportfishing licenses. We were in a Grady White and there was no requirement to display any sort of license number on the boat.

Commercial fishing licenses are incredibly expensive in Alaska (and here, BC, etc.). They are generally worth far more than any boat used for fishing. There are many regulations surrounding the ownership and sale of a commercial license--- for example in the Canadian maritimes a commercial lobstering license can be transferred to an immediate family member but it cannot be given to anyone outside the immediate family.

I have no idea what the regulations are regarding commercial licenses in Alaska--- it may be that if you have one it has to be "in use" meaning the person who has it must be engaged in commercial fishing in some manner in order for the license to remain valid. Hence the number applied to a Grand Banks. Or perhaps the owner of the GB does a bit of commercial fishing from time to time--- shrimp, crab, halibut, something not requiring the use of a net or refrigeration--- and so has to have his license number on the boat.

Marin - yes that is sort of what I thought it might be. I know that around here the commercial fishing vessels are relatively cheap for what they are and the equipment that is on them but it's the license that costs the big bux.
I was looking at a gill net vessel a while back that was going for $45K but the owner would not sell the boat until his licenses, and he had several on the boat, were sold which brought the package up over $100K.
The Grand Banks (or look alike) that I saw in Ketchican was equipped with a hoist rig that could have been used for pot pulling however it did not appear to have the large wheel that the commercial boys use so it could have been a "sports" set up.
Oh well, maybe in a year or two I can get up there on our own boat and have a real look see
Thanks for the comments
John Tones MV Penta
Sidney, BC

Marin wrote:

Commercial fishing licenses are incredibly expensive in Alaska
I live in the Prince William Sound in Alaska. A lot of people Fish what are called IFQ's or individual fishing quotas. That is you are allowed to catch so many pounds of Halibut, Sable Fish, Black cod and so on. It eliminated the rodeo style openers that cost so many fishermen there lives by allowing fishers to fish all season long rather than just a given day or week. There are many people who buy IFQ and fish them off of pleasure boats. *You can drop a long line for Halibut. Then do the pleasure boat thing while the skate soaks. Haul it in and sail back to port where your catch can be sold to a processor or a given customer.
IFQ can also be Fished by other than the owner. There are adds on Craigs list for Will Fish Your IFQ's.* There are also permits for salmon that is a different story all together. There are hand trolll permits ,Sein permits ,Power troll permits. As with the IFQ's each are for different areas.*
SD.

Thanks for the info Skipperdude. That makes the whole "pleasure" boat number boards make sense. It is maybe about time that other areas started something like that, not that I would be interested, but rather making the season much longer and not such a panic to get ones quota and back to the buyer, probably save some lives in the long run because fishermen would not take so many chances.
John Tones MV Penta
Sidney, BC

Eric:

Thank you for sharing the photos.* They brought back some memories from last year's trip around POWI.

You showed us Point Baker.* You showed us Kake.* In the most direct run between the two, is Keku Strait.* WHERE ARE THE KEKU STRAIT PICTURES, ERIC??

...*in episode (2), I hope.

OS*

Dear Old Salt,
Where the hill have you been? Gathering pictures and sea stories to share I hope.
Iz and Sharon were here about a month ago and came up the hill to dine w us. Actually I picked them up in my old car and Sharon was so charmed she left her umbrella in the back seat. Seemed to have misplaced their address. Would you be kind enough to replace same? I excluded the pictures of Rocky Pass/Keku Strait as the pics weren't so good and I was a bit busy at the helm so there wer'nt many. But you asked so here they are. Ill always post pics if asked.

1.** Finding Rocky Pass
2,3. * Fish boat w hull much like our Willard.
4. In the north end. High Islnnd
5,6.* This is where we anchored just so of High Is. on a river delta. We throughly checked it out for logs and sand bars. My Danforth was the only anchor that would set on the river bottom (presumably it was hard) in the delta. In the pic the channel is byond the rocks in the smooth water beyond. Looking SW.
7. Looking SE tward the river
8. Past Devils Elbow looking at the south end of Rocky Pass. All that stuff to far port is kelp. See that nav/aid (ctr) ... we needed to round another nav/aid out of sight to stbd.
9. Exiting Rocky Pass w 2 boats following. The knew we were residents of Thorne Bay as they were there the week prior. Next stop** .. Pt Baker.

Attachments

• 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 089.jpg
    089.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 091.jpg
    091.jpg